Māori

Old Feb 23rd 2007, 4:33 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Māori

Originally Posted by danny.f
I actually find it easier to hold a conversation with Maori/Pacific than White. But what the hell-everyone's pretty cool.
I find that a lot of the time too
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 5:57 am
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beachcombers
J
And for those people who complain that their kids are "forced" to learn Maori, what the hell are you doing in NZ?

Nice one

My wife has just started teacher training and she's learning Maori as part of that - both language and culture/traditions.
Soon they will also be introducing basic Japanese and European languages as well.

I think it's great.

It's a shame so many NZ natives seem to be so down on the Maori people and language. Yes there are some who live on the dole and doss around all day, or try to use the treaty as an excuse for everything, but there are people like that in every country and culture!
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 9:35 am
Forum Regular

brandn has a brilliant futurebrandn has a brilliant futurebrandn has a brilliant futurebrandn has a brilliant futurebrandn has a brilliant futurebrandn has a brilliant future

If your interested in learning a bit about Maori culture you might like a book im reading at the moment called: Te Ao Hurihuri

It gives a general understanding of Maori culture and beliefs, im sure its not definitive but it is a good start and an interesting read.

http://www.reedbooks.co.nz/products....ew=32&catID=18
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 12:32 pm
Straw Man.

Location: That, there, that's not my post count... nothing to see here, move along.
rugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond reputerugbymatt has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the book suggestion Brandn.

I will see if i can confuse my local book store later!
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 2:40 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beachcombers
Just wanted to add, that a second language is so important. My mum is from the Philippines, but my dad was one of these "English is good enough for me, so it's good enough for my son" type of guys. So he forbade my mum from teaching me Filipino and Spanish. As a result, I feel there is a huge gap in my identity as when I travel to the Philippines, I feel out of sorts....Makes me sad sometimes.

When we have kids, language is going to open up so many new horizons. Melissa is Finnish and speaks three languages and for our little Kiwi's being able to speak Maori/Finnish/English is going to open up such huge opportunities for them. Gonna make it a top priority for their education.

And for those people who complain that their kids are "forced" to learn Maori, what the hell are you doing in NZ?

Beautiful poem Apple.
Applause karma duly given, very good points!
Old Feb 23rd 2007, 7:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Boopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond reputeBoopy has a reputation beyond repute

Another book on Maori culture, treaty, race debate & mudslinging.

Bullshit Backlash & Bleeding Hearts - David Slack
Old Feb 24th 2007, 7:09 am
Account Closed

cherry will become famous soon enoughcherry will become famous soon enough

For those who chose to be racist here as an immigrant you have the right to LEAVE the country.I personally find the white kiwi`s to be extremely racist against all of the Maoiri and islanders using words I cannot print as I dont want to offend.I have friends here now from the islands as well as maoiri friends and I find them very polite and easy to get on with,I do not get involved in politics or treaties as that was the past and I do not have enough knowledge of the history of NZ to comment.As a gesture to the Maoiri of NZ and respect we have a nameplate for our house in Maoiri.
KA AWATEA

meaning "New beginnings".

For us and all the people who come here .
Old Feb 24th 2007, 7:11 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cherry
For those who chose to be racist here as an immigrant you have the right to LEAVE the country.I personally find the white kiwi`s to be extremely racist against all of the Maoiri and islanders using words I cannot print as I dont want to offend.I have friends here now from the islands as well as maoiri friends and I find them very polite and easy to get on with,I do not get involved in politics or treaties as that was the past and I do not have enough knowledge of the history of NZ to comment.As a gesture to the Maoiri of NZ and respect we have a nameplate for our house in Maoiri.
KA AWATEA

meaning "New beginnings".

For us and all the people who come here .
That's so nice
Old Feb 24th 2007, 7:47 am
Account Closed

This is the plaque we fetched from the UK ,my wife added the fish using gallery glass stained window paint and the letters were bought here and painted gold.She is very talented at craftwork and can turn her hands to anything to do with craftwork.It now is fixed on the wall of our porchway.
Old Feb 24th 2007, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

brandn has a brilliant futurebrandn has a brilliant futurebrandn has a brilliant futurebrandn has a brilliant futurebrandn has a brilliant futurebrandn has a brilliant future

Reading some posts on here and other sites it is "funny" how some people state that immigrants and issues surrounding immigration are a particular gripe and influenced their decision to emigrate. They then become the immigrant in a new country and then moan about the indigenous population. The common theme seems to be intolerant small minded people who dont want to understand broader issues.

Its hardly surprising that some Maori feel some bitterness, they had their land stolen from under their noses and were then marginalised in their own country. It may be an uncomfortable inconvenience to immigrants who want to buy land and build a new life without having the hassle of looking at the bigger picture but the truth is we are just a new layer of an unresolved problem which has lead to a near demolition of an old and proud culture.

Im not suggesting everyone should up sticks and leave, that is unrealistic and is never going to happen, but lets at least acknowledge history and its victims and show some understanding. Like it or not we are part of the problem.
Old Feb 24th 2007, 7:59 am
sky
Banned

This is the plaque we fetched from the UK ,my wife added the fish using gallery glass stained window paint and the letters were bought here and painted gold.She is very talented at craftwork and can turn her hands to anything to do with craftwork.It now is fixed on the wall of our porchway.
It's so lovely, any suggestions for what I should call my land?
Any suggestions welcome ... even if they are really silly
Old Feb 24th 2007, 8:24 am
Account Closed

First suggestion Sky from my boss is a name such as "Land below the long white cloud" translated into Maori.
NZ is known as the long white cloud from early maori times .No copywrite on this .
You can find translations on the net as we did but cant remember which site.
One to think of
Old Feb 25th 2007, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

mardybum is a splendid one to beholdmardybum is a splendid one to beholdmardybum is a splendid one to beholdmardybum is a splendid one to beholdmardybum is a splendid one to beholdmardybum is a splendid one to beholdmardybum is a splendid one to beholdmardybum is a splendid one to beholdmardybum is a splendid one to beholdmardybum is a splendid one to beholdmardybum is a splendid one to behold

First suggestion Sky from my boss is a name such as "Land below the long white cloud" translated into Maori.
NZ is known as the long white cloud from early maori times .No copywrite on this .
You can find translations on the net as we did but cant remember which site.
One to think of
Here is one I've come accross...
http://www.maorilanguage.net/