Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Lurker forced out of hiding

Lurker forced out of hiding

Old Jul 23rd 2010, 12:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Lurker forced out of hiding

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Pieface, I will ask you what might seem like an impertinent question. If NZ is all that it is 'cracked up' to be, then why do you choose to stay in the UK?
Did I miss something or was it that he wasn't actually comparing NZ with the UK ?

My UK neighbour says a big ups to pieface.
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 12:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

j19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond reputej19fmm has a reputation beyond repute

Excellent post, good on you for taking the time
Now about the smilies, is it just the smiley ones? How do you feel about the drink ones? Will put one in the bar for you x
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 5:53 pm
MnB

MnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond reputeMnB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by j19fmm
Excellent post, good on you for taking the time
Now about the smilies, is it just the smiley ones? How do you feel about the drink ones? Will put one in the bar for you x
Ditto from me & another drink in the bar for you x
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 6:49 pm
Forum Regular

DennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud ofDennisBergkamp has much to be proud of

Pieface for PM of NZ

you should post more often!

(i wont add a smilie)
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 9:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

londonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of light

Great post, although the only thing I disagree with is the smileys - I'm with Cally on the girlie thing (I can't resist sorry ). But then, someone's always going to get the hump aren't they no matter what you write and how many smiling faces you stick in!

My (Kiwi) husband actually got upset when he saw the 3rd world references and suggested that those who thought that could 'sling their hooks'! A little Britishism he's picked up over the years.....

Thank you for taking the time to post.

ps - from a country that gave us Flight of the Conchords.....nuff said on the humour element, funniest thing I've seen in years!

Last edited by londonescapee; Jul 23rd 2010 at 9:49 pm.
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 10:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

londonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by pieface
Quite simply - this is where my life is now. I love it in the UK, despite its problems it is an amazing place and feel privielged to be part of it. I often think about going back to New Zealand, maybe I will one day. A couple of the many things that keep my here for now:

Sausages - It's hard to find a bad sausage here. It's just as hard to find a good one in NZ!
Weather - Seriously, London weather beats where I'm from on the Antarctic Riviera (Dunedin).

Oh yes, that is quite right. NZ drivers in general are dreadful in comparison to the UK. I consider myself a rubbish driver, but then I did get my licence in NZ. I think it's mainly that due to the less fraught traffic conditions, people have less need to be courteous to other road users.
There are so many reasons why people from all over the world remain away from their home countries. Doesn't mean you hate it does it. Loved ones, careers, etc all play a part. I've never met a New Zealander who says 'oh hell no never going back there'! Many of our friends who have been here 10-15 years are now heading back, and some of my husband's older NZ colleagues are retiring back there now too.

Driving - I have obviously learnt how to drive in the UK and hubby from NZ and I've got to say he is a much better driver than I am! I didn't find driving in NZ all that bad but father in law noted how courteous he found drivers over here. Certainly no worse than in London - which is where I learnt how to drive, maybe that speaks for itself! Americans are far, far worse.....

Conversely, husband is disappointed to be going back to Auckland as he was hanging out for Dunedin where he was a student (must say it is far down my list of places to go!) but sensible folk on here pointed out that we go where the work is in the first few years. Dunedin is a lovely city (I love the old station building, outstanding piece of architecture) - but still beats me how the Scots sailed all that way just to move somewhere identical in terms of weather from where they left!

Finally on the sausage point - my parents went to NZ for the first time last year and apparently there is an AMAZING butcher in Raumati South who does fabulous sausages. Now, they are very particular (to the point of being sausage snobs) so this is praise indeed! So if you want good sausages move there...

Last edited by londonescapee; Jul 23rd 2010 at 10:13 pm.
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 10:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Wilester
Hell of a 5th Post (Thumb up) (Thumbs up) (Wink) (Big Grin)

I was starting to get a little put off the idea with all the negativity..
Don't get put off! NZ is what you make of it. We watched your clip that you posted of Dunedin and hubby got all sentimental....it really is that amazingly beautiful and many people we know have a really good quality of life in NZ. Different of course, but still good!

Sorry, will stop posting on this tread now.....aargh trying not to use smileys is killing me!
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 10:32 pm
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by londonescapee
I've never met a New Zealander who says 'oh hell no never going back there'!
I've met plenty who have no intention of ever going back to New Zealand to live and they moan like crazy when they have to go back to visit relatives, they come back miserable as sin. I tell them why bother, get your rellies over here but do they listen?
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 10:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi
I've met plenty who have no intention of ever going back to New Zealand to live and they moan like crazy when they have to go back to visit relatives, they come back miserable as sin. I tell them why bother, get your rellies over here but do they listen?
Well it's different experiences for all isn't it? Or are they as miserable as sin because they've spent time with the rellies?! I assume the cost means they can't make it over?

As the OP said, plenty of NZers (and Ozzies and Saffas too) get off the plane at Heathrow, spend an hour on the Picadilly line and turn around and go straight home again! Or they end up home a few months later, broke and rather jaded.

As Genesis said on another very good post and on a different thread, horses for courses innit. So you've met plenty who don't want to go back - all the NZers I've met (and Ozzies for that matter come to think of it) want to return home at some point but want to make the most of what living in the UK or another foreign country can offer. We're both right!

There are plenty of British expats who have no intention of returning to the UK as well (does anyone know how many Brits live abroad, out of interest? I found something on the BBC website which suggested 1 in 10 but that was from 2006).

As an aside - and now being made brave by the OP's honesty! I find it very sad that people who are delighted with their lives in NZ seem to be very patronisingly dismissed by some as 'happy clappers' on this forum and are in turn put off posting all their wonderful experiences which would really help balance out the negative ones - both sides are just as valid but you almost have to ignore some of the negative posts because it is hard to sort through those that actually are useful things to watch for and learn from, and those which are posted by moaning minnies. I mean come on, what's wrong with people writing about how much they enjoy their new lives? Yet in a typically British way (in my humble opinion anyway) they are put down by some for the fact that they have a good life?

Or is it that if you are enjoying life you are getting on with it and not feeling the need to post?

And god I've just seen from my profile that I average 2.6 posts a day so I will leave it there that's quite enough out of me for a while! I see that in the absence of smileys my posts are littered with exclamation marks....doh.....

Thanks once again OP for an honest and frank post.

Last edited by londonescapee; Jul 23rd 2010 at 11:21 pm.
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 11:18 pm
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Well it's different experiences for all isn't it? Or are they as miserable as sin because they've spent time with the rellies?! I assume the cost means they can't make it over?
No, the cost from here is pretty good. The only reason why they are go is to visit family, if that in itself was making them miserable they wouldn't go at all.

They come back moaning about the weather, how expensive it's become, the attitudes, the bad roads and drivers....list as as long as my arm
Old Jul 23rd 2010, 11:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi
No, the cost from here is pretty good. The only reason why they are go is to visit family, if that in itself was making them miserable they wouldn't go at all.

They come back moaning about the weather, how expensive it's become, the attitudes, the bad roads and drivers....list as as long as my arm
Funny, that list sounds soooo familiar, but from a different side of the pond (I give up the smileys are back). I agree with you on the cost of things, I think my husband will be in for a bit of a shock given how much will have changed since he last lived in NZ.

Just wondered if the rellies couldn't afford to come over here? Admittedly a big trip but worth it to have a look round Europe.

Last edited by londonescapee; Jul 23rd 2010 at 11:26 pm.
Old Jul 24th 2010, 5:34 am

Flower Pot is an unknown quantity at this point

Bravo Pieface, fantastic post! I have mostly stopped coming on here due to so many negative threads and posters, even starting a thread entitled 'Positivity only please' brought the moaners out!

As for the 3rd world country thread, my hubby and I were also infuriated, its ridiculous to even consider NZ this - they should try going to a 3rd world country to see what it really means.

Anyway, thanks for this thread, put a big on my face! (I know its childish to sneak a smiley in when you said you hated them but guess its my inner minx!)
Old Jul 24th 2010, 7:07 am
BE Enthusiast

janek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to behold

Funny, that list sounds soooo familiar, but from a different side of the pond (I give up the smileys are back). I agree with you on the cost of things, I think my husband will be in for a bit of a shock given how much will have changed since he last lived in NZ.

Just wondered if the rellies couldn't afford to come over here? Admittedly a big trip but worth it to have a look round Europe.

Err no no, no rellies could visit northern Europe. You see no New Zealander has a pot to p**s in, they're all scraping round on the bones of their ar*e. No money......can't pay the power bill, poorly dressed, badly behaved...... oh hang on - wait - some go on jetstar to aus for $129, but they are our brightest cleverest ones, us idiots are left here in this tin pot, tin shed country to suffer, oh the suffering is immense, my suffering is strangling me here....i can't afford a decent glass of Sav....so much cheaper elsewhere
Old Jul 24th 2010, 7:44 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

I do agree with a lot of what you say but I did find your post slightly strange. Why read a forum which seems to get you so worked up- I'm sure I could find plenty of things on the internet that would make me furious but life is too short!
In places your post comes across as you getting annoyed at any criticism of NZ, not sure if this was how you meant it? Yes sometimes the comments on here can go too far but other times it is just telling it like it is. After all it is all down to individual perspective a lot of the time. And yes I did find some aspects of your post a little arrogant and hypocritical though you did have the courtesy to apologise in advance [this is where I would insert a tongue out or wink smilie to indicate that this sentence is not to be taken too seriously but is meant in a more playful don't take my comments to heart kind of way!]

A few points

Housing: Yes, in general the housing stock in New Zealand doesn't compare favourably to that of the UK. I take issue with people referring to houses as 'wooden sheds' however. It is perfectly practical to have a wooden abode which is perfectly weatherproof.
Remember that coming from the UK we are used to central heating, double glazing and insulation as standard and it is a surprise to find that these are not so common in NZ. To British eyes a lot of housing does resemble wooden sheds! However the phrase is a generalisation and I think most people are intelligent enough to see that. You may find it irritating that people complain about the housing but there is a lot to complain about and those moving over should know that that reasonably priced lovely looking house on Trademe is unlikely to be double glazed, certainly won't have central heating and may well be cold and damp. The price is less reasonable when you add in the home improvements needed.
Cost of living:Simple fact is that those complaining about this should have done their sums, if the perceived benefits of a life in New Zealand don't add up financially, don't move. I constantly see bitter posts about what people were 'promised' at some immigration fair or other. For gods sake, do your research.
True, research, research and do more research. Maybe those posts complaining about cost of living are also providing a useful service to those thinking of moving over to NZ. Personal experience on how much people actually spend on items and how that relates to income [which is more important] will help people realise that NZ is not cheap. Costs are high relative to income when compared with the UK. Just stating a fact; that is NZ. Before coming over I was as interested if not more in the negative threads as I wanted to know the downsides to life in NZ. I was coming whatever but knew that no country can be 100% perfect. Those negative threads you find so irritating do have a purpose as long as it is constructive criticism and not just whinging! Must admit can't think of many if any posts where someone was promised something at an immigration fair...
NZ restaurants: I've seen some comments make my blood boil on this forum.
I have had some great meals in NZ restaurants and occasional not so good ones, in general I find the food to be of higher quality. Not seen any comments about chips though, don't think I've seen more meals with chips here compared with the UK. One thing I do miss is a pub lunch, fairly cheap and usually good food. There seems to be that gap between cafe food and restaurant food in terms of cost and quality
NZ a third world country: This beggars belief really! New Zealand by comparison in infrastructure terms has some problems of scale, but 'third world'???? For christs sake, some people seem to think that this term is subjective. It's not. It is clearly defined. New Zealand is a first world country. Struggling with the fact I need to type those words.
Definitely not third world though maybe not as developed as other first world countries. I did take the title of that thread as being more facetious and aiming to provoke rather than in a literal sense.
The whiners: By crikey, we all know who you are. Regardless of the topic on this forum, you jump in and use it as a showcase for your bitterness and contempt for the situation you find yourself in
Bad things happen everywhere. To be fair though, sometimes the whiners are just letting off steam [after all we all need to sometimes and better to do it anonymously on here than to workmates or friends who may take your comments at face value rather than in the spirit intended], sometimes it is not their fault and they have been shafted as I have been by one employer or sometimes they just enjoy having a good old whinge about life! Sometimes people find themselves in situations that are not of their making. I just ignore those who moan about everything, I know who they are and they are as much a part of BE as the ones who are happy here.
Crime: A lot of you seem to be absolutely quaking in your boots regarding crime
Who, where? I haven't noticed a big emphasis on crime on here. It's normal to want to know about crime levels whenever you move to a new place whether that be country, city or street but I haven't seen a lot of people that worried about it

And now the really important one!
Smileys
Disgree with you on this completely. The written word can be open to misinterpretation and smileys can help get your point across in a less ambiguous way. Sometimes the same comment could be taken as humourous, derogatory, aggressive, condescending or playful depending on how the reader sees it and the smiley helps determine the actual meaning without having to write an essay. Body language and tone of voice play a big part in communication, neither of which are present on the internet unless we start using webcams and I'd have to make an effort to look presentable then!

Last edited by Persephone; Jul 24th 2010 at 8:19 am. Reason: spelling failure!
Old Jul 24th 2010, 8:46 am
Banned

Originally Posted by pieface
Right, now this is going to be a bit of a hefty post, so I shall break this down into sections as I have a few things to get off my chest!

Disclaimer: I shall offend some I'm sure, that is not my intention. I just want to voice my view. I'm sure I'll be labelled a hypocrite. That's fine, possibly justified, but again, just want to get my view across. I don't profess to be some smart arse with all the answers, and I apologise in advance if what I say comes off as a bit arrogant.

Background: I am a 3rd generation born New Zealander of mainly Scots descent, also English, Irish with a touch of French and lesser admitted to German. I grew up in Dunedin the son of a fireman and a dinner lady where I was schooled at state primary and a well regarded state grammar boys' secondary school. I entered the work force in a bank head office in Dunedin. I spent a few years in Wellington. I moved to England in my early twenties, back to New Zealand for a few years and have been back in England since. Now pushing mid-thirties to its limit, I reside in a well to do pocket of inner London and work for an investment bank in IT, thankfully still currently employed.

Intention: I simply wish to bluntly address some key areas where as a lurker on this forum I have previously been almost irked enough to chime in, but have bitten my tongue. Consider my tongue bitten through. Quite right, I should've put my tuppence worth in on the appropriate threads, and this post will be that long as to be impossible to reply to. What can I say? I'm a bit lazy.

Housing: Yes, in general the housing stock in New Zealand doesn't compare favourably to that of the UK. I take issue with people referring to houses as 'wooden sheds' however. It is perfectly practical to have a wooden abode which is perfectly weatherproof. Norway is an example, wooden houses abound. As long as they are properly insulated and of sound construction and maintained, they are fine. As a child growing up in harsh Dunedin winters I don't recall being cold indoors in a wooden abode in Andersons Bay. They key thing is you get what you pay for. Central heating, insulation, double glazing, air conditioning are all available to new builds or period homes alike. It irritates me that people complain about draughts or condensation and blame it on the country as a whole.

Cost of living: This is tough. As a frequent visitor to New Zealand, I have noticed over the years how expensive things have become since I last lived there. This is a function of many factors, exchange rate, commodity prices abroad, government policy and also the fact there has been an immigration boom in recent years. Simple fact is that those complaining about this should have done their sums, if the perceived benefits of a life in New Zealand don't add up financially, don't move. I constantly see bitter posts about what people were 'promised' at some immigration fair or other. For gods sake, do your research. I know a lot of you have done this and are finding things tough. You've got to ask yourself, would you really be better off back in the UK? Maybe. I do feel sorry for those who feel financially trapped in NZ, but really, don't underestimate how tough things are in the UK.

NZ restaurants: I've seen some comments make my blood boil on this forum. In general I find the quality of NZ restaurants is fantastic in not only the main cities, but right down to small towns and even villages. The service is generally of a magnitude better. I have seen individuals on this forum complain that so many meals so often come with chips. On a British expats forum - i ask you really?

NZ sense of humour: Exasperated on this one, as it often comes up. Really, can you name another country on Earth more in tune with a British (broad term) sense of humour????? In terms of television most non mainstream British comedy television, NZ is practically the only country it would get screened. In terms of English speaking western countries are the Australians, Americans or Canadians more in tune with your sense of humour? New Zealanders can take the piss out of themselves - a key unifying trait I would have thought - certainly not common to the nations mentioned above.

NZ a third world country: This beggars belief really! New Zealand by comparison in infrastructure terms has some problems of scale, but 'third world'???? For christs sake, some people seem to think that this term is subjective. It's not. It is clearly defined. New Zealand is a first world country. Struggling with the fact I need to type those words.

NZ work attitudes: This I can admit would be frustrating to many an immigrant. Being quite insular in a lot of ways, attitudes can seem ingrained and a newcomer with experience in scale may well have experience that can seem to fall on deaf ears. I've got to say this is normally always a problem of approach. It's not unique to New Zealand that someone coming from the outside and giving it the big 'I am' isn't going to go down well. The way I see problems arise when you try and lord it and say this is how WE do things in the UK. You are part of NZ now. Change things as one of them, not someone who comes off as the all knowing adviser. Admittedly there is an attitude of the NZ way of doing things. I'd say, just conform and then use your experience which may well make things better - but do it as a fellow NZ'er.

The whiners: By crikey, we all know who you are. Regardless of the topic on this forum, you jump in and use it as a showcase for your bitterness and contempt for the situation you find yourself in. I feel sorry for you, I really do. A lot of you must feel trapped, cheated and a bit angry. I somehow think that for some of you your attitude is a good part of your problem. How can your lot improve when you feel you must bring everything down and justify your errors as being the fault of NZ rather than your own. Look, I've seen it from both sides of the fence. I've seen NZ'ers move to Britain, have a some bad experiences and blame the entire country and up and leave. They are blinkered to the fact those experiences could happen anywhere and maybe the fault of individuals or companies, but not reflective of the entire bloody country! Keep some perspective!

Crime: A lot of you seem to be absolutely quaking in your boots regarding crime. What planet are you on???? Again, a bit of perspective please! The media take hold of things in a way in NZ which can distort the reality of how likely you are to encounter crime in your lives. Don't get me wrong, NZ has its problems with shocking domestic violence and horrific violence, murders, drug problems and poverty. Put the media aside for a moment and think about it though, are you really so scared to leave the house? As an ordinary middle class citizen in 90% of NZ's neighbourhoods, you are hardly likely to suffer worse than having your car broken into.

Smileys: A bit off topic of immigration, but right on topic for this forum! I mean really, why so many bloody smileys???? Is it really necessary to litter every post head to toe to convey every nuance of emotion? That should just be left to the words.

To finish, NZ is a bit different. It's been said so many times before. New Zealand is a different country. Some things are going to be better, some worse. Probably all things considered the country most alike Britain though. Weigh it up and make a call as to whether its for you or not. If you decide to stay, it would pay to remember that all the good and bad in NZ is your benefit or your problem. Don't see yourself as separate. Forget the 'us and them' attitude. If you consider yourself a New Zealander, you will be embraced as being a local. Even if you are affectionately called a Pom! Don't say to someone in the pub, 'You lot need to sort out the boy racers!' You need to say, 'What are going to do about these bloody boy racers?' NZ is your country now, like it or not, make the best of it!
In other words "harden up, fit in and stop whingeing"?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.