Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Living in Auckland...where would be best?

Living in Auckland...where would be best?

Old Nov 13th 2005, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

Michelle & Chris will become famous soon enoughMichelle & Chris will become famous soon enough
Default Living in Auckland...where would be best?

Hi

We're of to Auckland, job offer in place and talent visa going through for a speedy start. Only the house to sell, so we could see my better half flying off with out us if it's not sold pronto. We do have some time, the company is being very patient but that can't be for ever.

What we do need to is where to start looking for rental property. We would like to rent within the same area we would finally like to settle as we have to girls at school and don't fancy having to move them again once settled. Chris will be working in Mount Eden but also probably having to travel to Franklin district to. Howick has been suggested, but could anyone suggest any other area that would be a nice place to settle. Somewhere near the coast wold be nice, good schools a small, medium sized community. But if there's some nice inland villages/towns fire away.

All and any feed back wold be much appreciated.

Cheers

Michelle & Chris

All
Old Nov 13th 2005, 6:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in Auckland...where would be best?

Hiya.... I live in Beachlands...its not far from Howick but we are right on the coast. We rent a lovely house thats 5 minutes walk from 2 beaches. The schools here are supposed to be OK too....my lad hasnt got to that age yet. We are surrounded by lovely countryside although we are only 20 minutes drive from the outskirts of the city. Its a large village but everyone is friendly and stop to talk or say hello. PM me if you want to know any more about Beachlands.
Old Nov 13th 2005, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

Michelle & Chris will become famous soon enoughMichelle & Chris will become famous soon enough

Hi Sarah

Thanks for answering my post. I've noticed you posting before, how's your horse, it sounds like you able to ride in some really nice places. The first thing my daughter said when she found out we were moving to nz, is can I still go riding?

Beachlands sounds nice, if you could give me some more info on it that would be great. Also are there any on line estate agents so we could look at properties. Are there any decent rental properties there, I think you have mentioned in your previous posts that you have a nice place. I don't think we'll be buying for a while, although we will have a decent amount to bring over with us, I don't fancy the NZ interest rates at present.

Any other information on making the move would be appreciated. How long have you been there? On the whole do you like it? I've read quite a bit on the subject on BE and try to take all the comments both negative and positive on board without being either put off or believe that its the best place on earth. We're quite laid back people and on the whole take the rough with the smooth so hope that we'll be able to ride out the rough spots and surf the good.

Cheers

Michelle
Old Nov 13th 2005, 7:43 pm
Citizenships collector...

urbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of lighturbanproject is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Michelle & Chris
Hi Sarah

Thanks for answering my post. I've noticed you posting before, how's your horse, it sounds like you able to ride in some really nice places. The first thing my daughter said when she found out we were moving to nz, is can I still go riding?

Beachlands sounds nice, if you could give me some more info on it that would be great. Also are there any on line estate agents so we could look at properties. Are there any decent rental properties there, I think you have mentioned in your previous posts that you have a nice place. I don't think we'll be buying for a while, although we will have a decent amount to bring over with us, I don't fancy the NZ interest rates at present.

Any other information on making the move would be appreciated. How long have you been there? On the whole do you like it? I've read quite a bit on the subject on BE and try to take all the comments both negative and positive on board without being either put off or believe that its the best place on earth. We're quite laid back people and on the whole take the rough with the smooth so hope that we'll be able to ride out the rough spots and surf the good.

Cheers

Michelle

Hi Michelle,

I will second what Sarah wrote, East Auckland is very nice. I have never been but my partner is originally from there and have heard only good comments on that part of the city. We had originally planned to go there but will have to settle for an inner city apartment for commodity/amenities reason. However, in the long term (once we have a bit more cash and jobs)we will go East without a doubt.

You can have a look at www.realenz.co.nz or http://www.harcourts.co.nz/ or even www.crockers.co.nz to have a bit of a browse at properties.

Jen
Old Nov 13th 2005, 10:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Michelle & Chris
Hi Sarah

Cheers

Michelle
Hi Michelle... my horse is fine thanks but Ive not managed to get out much on him lately.... first of all he cut his leg then I had the horrible ear/throat infection for nearly 3 weeks... then Ive worked all weekend (helping out in a kitchen for 2 days) and felt too knackered... I hope to get out on him a couple of evenings this week and then saturday and sunday. Your daughter will still be able to ride but I dont know how much riding costs..... the kids around here have their own ponies and keep them at the pony clubs and I know that the one here is just over 90 bucks a month and that includes all grazing, worming, winter hay and gymkhana/ralley days.... very good value. Horses can be bought here for a lot less than in the UK but be careful as horses that are really cheap are cheap for some reason usually. Mine was cheap but thats because hes only 3 and recently backed, and I particularly wanted a youngster to bring on.

Theres 2 local estate agents in Beachlands....they are Barfoot & Thompson and LJ Hooker.... both have websites. I'll warn you now that B & F ask for a huge bond up front and Hookers not quite as much. We decided to rent out our 2 UK houses and like you had quite a bit to bring over with us.... it doesnt last long believe me. People on here do not exaggerate when they say about how expensive things are over here. Theres a distinct lack of choice and certain items can be twice or more as expensive as UK.

We arrived in June and moved to South West Auckland to start with but decided after 2 days that it wasnt for us. Then we heard of Beachlands and I loved it on my first visit here. Maraetai is also very nice but as soon as the suns out the beaches are totally packed....Beachlands beaches arnt as nice so dont get so packed.

So to answer your question...on the whole we do like it here. We dont seem to be managing financially so well at the moment but I am a SAHM here whereas in the UK I worked part time.... that made a big difference. I have decided now though that after my parents have been here in the new year then I'll probably go back to work part time.

I DONT want to go back to the UK although we are missing our friends and family a hell of a lot at the moment. Id hate to live in the UK again after living somewhere as nice as this. We love being able to walk down to the beach in the evenings and my partner now goes fishing after work sometimes if the tide is right. There are certainly pros and cons about being here.... the main con is missing your family and friends and everything thats familiar and the best pro for me is probably the warmer climate and the beautiful location we are in. I know a warmer climate doesnt pay the bills but I have metal in my leg so I dont get so much pain and stiffness as I did in the UK.

Theres quite a few ex pats in Beachlands and some say that living here is living in the "Beachlands Bubble"... its so nice here yet we are only just 20 mins out of town. Theres good shopping centres 20 minutes away and its pretty easy to get around from here.....anything else you want to know then just ask and Ill always answer honestly.

Off now to make banana cakes and pizza dough.....mmmmm pizza
Old Nov 14th 2005, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

Cheers Jen

I'll take a look at those sights. That area of Auckland certainly looks like the kind of place we would like to settle.

Michelle
Old Nov 14th 2005, 7:22 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Sarah

You paint a very nice but realistic view I think, and Beachlands sounds right up our street. We're not city people by any stretch of the imagination and can't imagine moving some where like nz and not being able to appreciate the surrounding on a day to day basis. The idea of being so near to the sea sound wonderful, even though I only live miles from the sea at present, the north sea is not quite the same thing and certainly not as warm.

I work full time at present but would love to work part time once there as it would be nice to spend more time with the girls, I have a 4yr old and 12yrs. If Lauren finds out how reasonable it is to keep a pony there, I'll never hear the last of it. Although I ride my self, I'm don't think I'm ready to own a pony. I've never actually owned one. Although I've done everything else owning one is a very different matter. A nice thought though.

Thanks for the reply and hope you manage a ride soon.

Cheers

Michelle
Old Nov 14th 2005, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

Neil&Ellen has a brilliant futureNeil&Ellen has a brilliant futureNeil&Ellen has a brilliant futureNeil&Ellen has a brilliant futureNeil&Ellen has a brilliant futureNeil&Ellen has a brilliant futureNeil&Ellen has a brilliant future

Hi there, Im sorry to jump in on the thread, hope you dont mind. I'm so glad that you folks are happy to impart advice though. We were thinking of Devonport, but your outline of Beachland has us thinking that maybe we should reconsider. Obviously is so difficult to understand the feel of place without actually staying there for a while. Would you mind sharing your impressions of Devonport compared to the East Surburbs?

Many thanks Ellen
Old Nov 14th 2005, 11:26 pm
Forum Regular

annaerb will become famous soon enoughannaerb will become famous soon enough

I have to agree with SarahB about the Beachlands/Maraetai area. I'm just biased of course as I live in Maraetai. Living out here is like being on a permanent holiday, you have everything at your finger tips and as Sarah said only a 20 min drive to what we call "Town" Botany,Howick for major shopping.
There are two Primary schools both decile 10 ratings. Kindergartens, playgroups, coffee groups etc. The local shops in Maraetai we have a cafe/Restaurant, 2 takeaways, Boat club where you can go for a drink/meal and they have fishing comp etc, dairy,real estate,pizza shop, hairdressers, lots of home businesses (ie; hairdressers, massage,facial etc, gift shop, petrol station, churches, beach etc.
In Beachlands there is local bottle shop, dairy x 2, video hire, hairdressers x 2, takeaway, real estate x 2, cafe, florist, chinese takeaway, pet shop, post office, butcher, beach, Boat Club, workingmans club, engineering, Horse Transport, Local Doctor, Chemist and more at home business shops & local community Police. In between Beachlands and Maraetai there is Te puru sports complex where there is every activity for children & Adults. At Pine Harbour just before Beachlands we have a Golf Course called Formosa it has Restaurant/Bar, Accomodation, Indoor Swimming Pool, Gym, Physio etc. Down at the Harbour there is a Cafe/Restaurant, 30 min Ferry service to Auckland CBD and also to Waiheke Island.
The nearest High School is Howick College in Howick which is a 30 min FREE ride.
If you have a look at the Auck Photo thread there are a few photos of Maraetai Beach on there.

Carol
Old Nov 15th 2005, 12:49 am
livewire

About a year ago we started looking around for a good high school for our kids, with a view to renting a house in the correct zone. (We are living on the North Shore at present)

So we looked at the Beachlands, Botany/Dannemora, Howick area (because of the Macleans College reputation) and to be honest we were really disappointed . We saw nothing anywhere that would make us want to move that far south of the CBD.

My DH actually works in S. Auckland and would prefer to commute from here rather than move down there. So much land is scheduled for major development south of Auckland there that there won't be many green fields left in a few years. The area also suffers from the "south auckland" overspill effect in my opinion......trying to be tactful here folks and not wishing to upset anyone.

OK so the shore is pretty developed too but there is a certain "feeling" you get up here that is sadly lacking down south.

Yes, I know - it's very much a matter of personal taste but I prefer the North Shore (which has the lowest crime rate in NZ) over that area any day; more so for us - a family with kids of an impressionable age.

I would strongly suggest that people keep an open mind about where they'd like to live until they get here and look around.

Old Nov 15th 2005, 7:51 am

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there we moved out in September and have settled in the eastern bays a place called Kohimarama, we also think this is really great, 5 mins walk to the beach 5 mins to our daughters school, and 20 mins to city centre in rush hour, big but coming up, but you do have to pay more than we thought for this. $550 a week for 3 bed house with a small garden but sea views. If you are going to Mount Eden from Beachlands and it surrounding area you are looking at quite a long journey (1 hour plus it regularly takes me to get out there). You will get more property for your money out that way also but the commute to work really should be considered especially as you have kids. Where ever you live you will be no more than half an hour from the sea so that is a really great thing about NZ. All in all think of the time in rush hour it will take to get about and plan from that but most places are lovely to live.

If you want another viw of specifics reply and we wll help if possible.
Old Nov 15th 2005, 8:19 am
livewire

We're paying that for a new brick clad 4 bedroomed house, with a study, 3 living areas, 2 bathrooms and a swimming pool up above Browns Bay on the North Shore. Commuting time to S. Auckland just under an hour most mornings. Primary and intermediate schools within 5 min and 2 min walk.

Old Nov 15th 2005, 8:20 am
VP - Rangers Support Club

theduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant futuretheduke has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by P18PPS
Hi there we moved out in September and have settled in the eastern bays a place called Kohimarama, we also think this is really great, 5 mins walk to the beach 5 mins to our daughters school, and 20 mins to city centre in rush hour, big but coming up, but you do have to pay more than we thought for this. $550 a week for 3 bed house with a small garden but sea views. If you are going to Mount Eden from Beachlands and it surrounding area you are looking at quite a long journey (1 hour plus it regularly takes me to get out there). You will get more property for your money out that way also but the commute to work really should be considered especially as you have kids. Where ever you live you will be no more than half an hour from the sea so that is a really great thing about NZ. All in all think of the time in rush hour it will take to get about and plan from that but most places are lovely to live.

If you want another viw of specifics reply and we wll help if possible.

Hi

My future boss has told me that Kohi School is a great school for kids, do your kids go there? He has also suggested other areas around there like St Helliers, I will be working at Ellerslie and it semmingly isn't far to commute from where you are?
Old Nov 15th 2005, 6:55 pm

P18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond reputeP18PPS has a reputation beyond repute

My wife looked at a place in Northcote point that was nearly twice the size of our Kohi place for the same money but I would still need to drive in and an hour in the car each way wouldn't have been any better than in the UK so no more time with my kids which is one of the reasons for coming out here to get away from the crowded streets / roads in the UK.

My 8 year old goes to Kohi and she loves it, its so relaxed but they still get good grades, sports achievements etc etc. Everyone seems really friendly and she loves the huge playground. There are lots of after school activities as well but you do ususally have to pay something extra to participate. There is also a park called Madills Farm at the bottom of our road, on the way to the beach, where there are loads of things to do. St Helliers is also lovely with more shops/ casfes etc than Kohi so it does get a bit busy when the sun is out, but not so bad you wouldn't go. Mission Bay is the one to watch that does get busy so beware.

Regards

P18PPS
Old Nov 15th 2005, 6:58 pm

Sorry Ellerslie is about 20 30 mins from Kohi depending where you need to go and if you touch the Motorway at all, but you shouldn't need to.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.