Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Living in Auckland...where would be best?

Living in Auckland...where would be best?

Old Nov 23rd 2005, 6:32 pm
livewire

Default Re: Living in Auckland...where would be best?

District Recorded Crime for the Year to 30 June

Counties Manukau
Violence - 6189
Drugs and antisocial behaviour - 4005

North Shore
Violence 1803
Drugs and antisocial behaviour - 1892

Source NZ police statistics.

Old Nov 23rd 2005, 6:38 pm
livewire

Originally Posted by livewire
District Recorded Crime for the Year to 30 June

Counties Manukau
Violence - 6189
Drugs and antisocial behaviour - 4005

North Shore
Violence 1803
Drugs and antisocial behaviour - 1892

Source NZ police statistics.
p.s.

2001 Census:
Population of North Shore 209,350, Manukau City 283,200

Old Nov 23rd 2005, 8:04 pm
Forum Regular

annaerb will become famous soon enoughannaerb will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by scottish
Hi Carol, Yes we lived in Bucklands Beach and hubby and I both worked in the city. I have never once said stay away from the area just I felt it was a bit rough. Cant compare it to Wolverhampton, never been!!! But it did remind me of the East End of Glasgow.

If you read back my posts (and I am sure I offered advice to you on Beechlands etc) you will see that I cant praise Bucklands etc high enough. However, first impression of Manukua was hubbys first day at work (had to drop him off). To the right of the office a strip bar, above the office a lapdancing club and the route out of the office tons of strip joints. The Mall you talk about is ok but not a patch on Botany. I personally felt the shops were second rate and the locals and the area a bit rough. Now me being a Glasgow chick thats saying something.

ps should also add hubby worked in the social housing properies in the area

No don't live in the area but family do. I live in Maraetai just near Beachlands. I agree Manukau isn't a patch on Botany. I went to Manukau last friday with a friend I met from one of the other sites as she wanted to go to the craft shop out there. Her comments were "It's certainly different from Botany isn't it". She liked the shops and thought there was more variety than Botany, so there you go.
I wouldn't like to be sending my kids to the schools out that way either. My OH went to one of the Schools in Sth Auck but now it's really bad with Police patrolling all day.
Old Nov 24th 2005, 4:27 pm
Forum Regular

shortfatbloke has a brilliant futureshortfatbloke has a brilliant futureshortfatbloke has a brilliant futureshortfatbloke has a brilliant futureshortfatbloke has a brilliant futureshortfatbloke has a brilliant futureshortfatbloke has a brilliant future

Thanks for the advice and comments, my wife is discussing a possible job at Middlemore Hospital - how long would the commute take from, say, Beachlands or Botany and from CBD or North Shore?
Old Nov 24th 2005, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

binman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by shortfatbloke
Thanks for the advice and comments, my wife is discussing a possible job at Middlemore Hospital - how long would the commute take from, say, Beachlands or Botany and from CBD or North Shore?
From Botany 20 mins, Beachlands I would hazard a guess at around 30mins, 20 mins from CBD, North Shore would depend if she gets caught in rush hours coming over the bridge. Cheers binman