Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Liverpool to Palmerston North

Liverpool to Palmerston North

Old Apr 17th 2014, 7:44 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Liverpool to Palmerston North

Happy Easter x
Old Apr 18th 2014, 1:32 am
Just Joined

Wellygirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Lozbeth - my partner and I arrived in NZ in January this year - although we lived in Stockport (Manchester) we were both working in Liverpool for six months just before we left. I really liked Liverpool - eating out was great and I loved shopping in Liverpool One and walking around the docklands. If you are moving to Palmy you are only two hours away from Wellington which is where we live. In my opinion, Wellington has some similarities to Liverpool - docklands, shopping, food and entertainment. It is not as busy as Liverpool City Centre, and I do like that about Wellington. There are lots of hills, mountains and water around - its beautiful, plus the drive from Palmy to Wellington is very scenic. We are in the process of buying a piece of land and building a house so we can have all new insulation, heating, solar panels etc... you may want to look into this option when you come over. If there is anything else I can help you with just ask, I may not know all the answers but I will try and help you best way I can. I know what its like to have such a 'big move' !
Old Apr 18th 2014, 2:50 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
It won't be any time soon, sorry !

There's public information bulletins dressed up as adverts in NZ from the company, 'EEEC Energywise' on how to heat your home efficiently. I kid you not. One little tip of theirs is, 'close your curtains just before dusk to keep in the warmth of the day.' I'm not even saying whether it works or not, but ye gods !

You will see NZ houses with their windows open in the middle of winter. This is for ventilation to let the damp out so that clothes, furniture, curtains etc don't get covered in mildew or mould.

Oh, and keep a tea towel handy to wipe down the windows that will be thick with condensation each and every morning in the winter. It's the morning ritual in most kiwi houses. Don't worry if you feel wetness on the internal walls of your kiwi house, that's probably just condensation too. That's how thin the walls of kiwi houses are. Put your hand on the same area of the same wall in the summer and feel how hot from the sun the wall has got.

In a few months time I'm going to buy the best dehumidifier I can afford as we have a family room which was once the integral garage of the house. It was converted many years ago but is unheated and is next to the utility room er, I mean *laundry, which has a toilet and shower room next to it as well which are also unheated.

*You'll be wanting one of them there European style kitchens with the washing machine in the kitchen......awkward silence from the letting agent. Oh, but it's ok to have the washing machine in the garage. Yes really. Why ? Because that's where the taps for it are. I'm not making this up. There's also a big deal about having a laundry sink. It's just a larger than average sink that's usually next to the washing machine in the utility room. Whoops, there I go again, I meant laundry.

(It made me smile when my kiwi sister in law remarked that you can't open a front loading washing machine mid-cycle like you can a top loader ! Aw bless. I didn't say anything. Top loading washing machines are popular here. Front loading washing machines are just coming into fashion presently. My sister in law told me that front loading washing machines use less water than top loaders. I didn't have the heart to tell her that it makes no difference, water usage varies from machine to machine anyway. You can't tell her anything anyway, so, I've learned through experience to say nothing.)

I can close the (newly installed since we moved in) door to the rest of the house but condensation still forms there at the rear of the house.

You may well end up living in a newly built house in New Zealand. All newly built houses have to have double glazing.
I find that quite amusing. I grew up in houses with a laundry and I thought it was very odd doing your clothes washing in the kitchen.

I don't get your sarcastic comment about opening a front loader half way through the wash. And most front loaders do use less water - common knowledge that so maybe you shouldn't sneer at your SIL's comments. I feel a bit a sorry for her - I bet you're a laugh a minute when you go round.

Last edited by jmh; Apr 18th 2014 at 2:55 am.
Old Apr 18th 2014, 5:47 am
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

Not washing clothes in the kitchen is a cultural issue. Both Māori and Polynesian culture believe that clothes should not be washed in the same place as food is prepared. Same principle as sitting on tables.

Having an adventure is exactly how you should view it. You don't expect houses/shops/culture to be the same in France (or insert country of your choice) so why should they be in New Zealand?

View plenty of houses before you rent/buy. Check which way the sun goes. Houses on concrete bases are warmer than those raised. On a practical note, on the few days we get condensation on our bedroom windows we use a scoopy, which collects the condensation in the handle. http://www.trademe.co.nz/home-living...-719150609.htm

Snapshot. I have a front loading washing machine bought in Harvey Norman and I can open it during the cycle
Old Apr 18th 2014, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

kitti is on a distinguished road

I also have one of those 'awful top-loaders' and love it! And as my kiwi friend said "You have your washing machine in the KITCHEN? Where you cook your FOOD?!" It was said with the same kind of disgust someone might have if you suggested you ate your meals in the toilet.

My home has very few internal doors, mostly because it's all open-plan. Just how I like it. Closing your curtains before it gets full dark is just plain old-fashioned common-sense in heat retention. Unless of course you have more money than sense and don't have any ecological concerns about wasting energy.

Most homes in the North don't need central heating, but if central heating and double glazing (and small houses with tiny rooms with lots of doors) are your thing, I wonder why moving to New Zealand was on the cards at all?

Having said all that, I'm in Kapiti from Yorkshire. I love it here, wouldn't change a thing. Oh, and I saw pancetta in our local Countdown supermarket the other day, other people just clearly didn't look hard enough, but then, you're always going to get some people who love to 'Kiwi-bash.'

Enjoy! And don't rush into buying your house. Be careful and compare to NZ, not UK standards. Good luck!
Old Apr 18th 2014, 7:43 am
Forum Regular

LozBeth is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks Wellygirl, I don't work too far from Stockpirt so I know it well. Doh, I thought Welly was an hour and half away Lol maybe I was just being optimistic lol.

Yes I liked Welly when we visited 18 months ago, although we only spent a few hours there as it was raining and pretty miserable so we jumped the ferry to Picton

My OH keeps mentioning buying our own land and building, please keep me posted on how you get on with this, as that might be something I'd be interested in. Are you buying the land in Welly?

QUOTE=jmh;11224225]And most front loaders do use less water - common knowledge that so maybe you shouldn't sneer at your SIL's comments. I feel a bit a sorry for her - I bet you're a laugh a minute when you go round.[/QUOTE]

jmh I'm afraid I don't understand your need to comment on someone else's tongue in cheek jibe at their SIL you obviously don't have one or you're a terrible one yourself

Besides I think if you read back it's quite straight forward what snap shot was saying, she was agreeing that you can indeed open front loaders mid cycle, as confirmed by MOSO. Well done for apparently knowing they use less water....

MOSO I love gadgets so I'll definitely be looking up that scoopy!!

Thanks Kitti, kiwi style houses are pretty similar to many in South Africa and I like the open plan style, it's the cold and damp that I'm concerned about, but l've now had lots of tips so I think I'm ready to take this challenge on! Else layer up and embrace the mold! Haha

Off to Chester Zoo with my nephews and daughter now, woo-hoo! Can't wait
Have a great weekend all!
Old Apr 18th 2014, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

JaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond reputeJaneRiley has a reputation beyond repute

Hi LozBeth, we lived in army housing in Linton in 2009 and the house was really OK. We moved into a rental in Palmy as it was more convenient for me. There are support services on camp so you will not be alone and with babies there are always places to go and meet other mums and dads. Enjoy it!