British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Liverpool to Palmerston North (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/liverpool-palmerston-north-830491/)

LozBeth Apr 5th 2014 7:47 am

Liverpool to Palmerston North

Hi everyone

Would really appreciate some advice on settling into NZ. My partner leaves in a couple of weeks, with my flight scheduled end of July along with my one year old (and what will be a very large bump!).

I am petrified!! Being a city girl with a large close family, an active social life and career as an IT Consultant, I feel like I'm starting a grieving process! :ohmy:

I've buried my head in the sand the past two years while this process of residence has been happening and now it's in motion I'm like a rabbit caught in headlights lol.

Any useful tips? I really want to start viewing this as a new adventure. I just don't know anyone over there or who is / has experienced this move.

gerard_navickas Apr 11th 2014 12:56 pm

Re: Liverpool to Palmerston North

where about is palmerston north? is it north or south island? I only ask because I have just arrived in christchurch from liverpool and I think my missus is having the same thing, it's all a bit daunting. it's a bit strange being here but everyone we speak to is really helpful so don't be that worried there's a lot of people going through the same thing...main question is...are you blue or red? :)

Persephone Apr 11th 2014 4:35 pm

Palmerston North is on the North Island. I lived there for a year.
It's a biggish town-by NZ standards! I was happy there even though it does rain a lot;) You will find it very different to Liverpool though:lol:
The place also comes in for a lot of stick, not sure why as it's similar to any other NZ town/city really. Maybe because it's not right beside the sea?? However that's not an issue for me.
One thing I would say is that it is fairly well placed for weekends away-Wellington, Taranaki, Ngahuruhoe, Taupo, Nelson, Rotorua etc. We visited all those when we had weekends off.

What you're feeling is normal, it's a big change in your life and you are going off into the unknown from your point of view. Try and see it as an adventure, good luck!

gerard_navickas Apr 11th 2014 9:52 pm

thanks for the advice there and yes, this is some adventure...kids are excited and I'm raring to go to get into work it's the wife who's having the hardest time but she has skyped her dad and feeling a bit better

barnsleymat Apr 11th 2014 10:07 pm

[QUOTE=LozBeth;11205418]Being a city girl with a large close family, an active social life QUOTE]

There's no doubt about, you're going to find New Zealand a challenge especially coming from a busy city like Liverpool. I've visited Liverpool many times and I been to Palmerston North, it's going to be quite a culture shock. I found the 2 weeks before we left was the worst, I fell apart, but as soon as I sat on the plane at Heathrow I was fine, the adventure had begun. The first 2 years here was an adventure, living in a new country is a challenge and you'll have a great time getting used to anything.

You'll get expats telling you NZ is heaven, you'll also get expats telling you it's a boring expensive place. It's better not to listen to anyone, everyone that comes here sees things differently, the one thing we all agree on it that it's one hell of an adventure and whether you love it or hate it (or on the fence like me) you'll make some amazing memories and you'll definitely grow as a person/family.

LozBeth Apr 13th 2014 7:56 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone! Eurghh more rain wonderful! I thought I might have been escaping that lol. At least I'll be able to take some nice breaks if nothing else. I liked Nelson and Taupo when I visited a couple of years ago. Never went to Palmerston North, which is perhaps a good thing haha.

Gerard I'm a real a scouser, so I'm obviously a red ;) I think I'll be living on Skype for the first few months. The time difference is a little restrictive with young children and taking into consideration people working back home, so I'm already stressing about what time is best lol.

We went for a meal with friends this weekend, as my partner leaves in 10 days, so that drummed it home more so. Sure am gonna miss the northern banter!

Yeah Mat, I know you're right and I am trying to view it as an adventure, it's a beautiful country, it's just that I keep on focusing on the negatives such as no central heating??!! That scares me more than the earthquakes!

crumpy10 Apr 13th 2014 8:46 pm

We live 30 mins outside Palmerston North, in the sticks! We have been here almost 2 years, came over only knowing one other family! we were scared to death!
We arrived in winter, 2 kids, dog, no home, no car, and went to Foxton beach... no heating...
Now we live in our own place, no where near Foxton beach!
I love Palmy! its not big but you can pretty much get what you want, with out all the stress and too much choice.
Plus there is Feilding town which I think is really nice. People are really friendly, if your open and not snotty!

The weather is strange, it has been the driest march on record and we haven't had any rain since xmas when we were up in Coromandel. Since its has started raining this weekend, we have had 12mm...
The heating side of things doesnt worry us, we have fires, and I think because the cold doesnt last that long you dont really worry about it. I know that moving over here in the June for us was a shocker, as your body wants it to be summer, and its a shock to be that cold in july! So psychologically its strange!

I find food shopping nice. even at xmas, I found the supermarkets not to be too maxed out! It is nice to park where you want to shop without having to walk miles!

It is an adventure. Just another part of life...

As the saying goes. "The world is like a book. He who doesn't travel reads only one page!" or something like that! :p

Anyway enough rambling! there are plenty of people here to help you get settled! you just have to shout! Good luck.

Snap Shot Apr 13th 2014 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by LozBeth (Post 11217343)

it's a beautiful country, it's just that I keep on focusing on the negatives such as no central heating??!! That scares me more than the earthquakes!

We paid to have our central heating installed in our house here in New Zealand. It's warm air blowers which are called heat pumps here. They use compression technology rather than being a bar heater. The end result is the same, i.e. a warm house. Well, that's the way we've got ours anyway. We also have a lovely gas fire in the lounge that burns fake logs so you can see the flames. This was all the heating there was in the house when we bought it in 2011. Usually we have this on in the evening and the heat pump warms the upstairs via warm air vents. There's a downstairs heat pump too which is on a timer so our dining room is warm to eat in.

No airing cupboard either as no hot water cylinder ! We've got an infinity hot water system which gives us, 'on demand' hot water. We paid to have double glazing installed in our house, it helps me pretend I'm home.

Oh and you'll find it a culture shock also that kiwis don't seem to like internal doors. The reason that there was only one gas fire in our house is that it was supposed to heat everything. Basically, there were no kitchen doors, kiwi houses are about as cosy as an aircraft hangar ! We paid to have doors installed in the kitchen as part of keeping the heat in - y'know, just like Britain. I could not believe the amount of kiwi houses that had their lounge doors removed ! (Maybe they just used them for firewood) It just defied belief. The phrase, 'rug up' just means, put a jumper on, get a blanket. Bring a woolly hat as you might need to wear this in bed when it's cold at night. I can't believe I actually did this when we lived in Christchurch. I hadn't had to do that since I went camping years ago.

Anyway, it's piddling with rain here at the moment as you have your pre-Easter good weather in Britain.

My Dad's from Birkenhead so his team would be, 'Tranmere Rovers', if he could be bothered with football at all.

snaps Apr 13th 2014 9:39 pm

Snap Shot - We have had 2 set of doors installed to replace removed ones so far, just one more to do. I didn't realise this was a Kiwi trend.

LozBeth -Moving is usually pretty stressful but just take each day as it comes, the sun is always very close. I am/was an IT consultant in the UK and finding a job locally is proving hard at present, keep me advised if you need a side-kick ;o)

Hokey-pokey Apr 14th 2014 12:30 am

Originally Posted by snaps (Post 11217427)
I didn't realise this was a Kiwi trend.

I think its definitely cultural. As a kiwi living in the UK I had real difficulty adjusting to the houses there. I found so many homes made me claustrophobic. I longed to bash down walls and install large windows. The lack of indoor outdoor flow was an issue for me too. Admittedly I appreciated the cosiness of British homes in mid winter. Our NZ winters can get chilly ( Ive lived in Invercargill and Dunedin ) but our winters cannot compare to the long Northern Hemisphere ones.
My own home is open plan and we have gas central heating which we don't often use as we utilise passive heating to a great extent.
My English pal has just built her dream home. It's 480 sqm but it feels pokey with small rooms and is dark inside ( tiny windows ). She loves it however as it reminds her of 'home'. She hates my house and I hate hers! :D We're good mates despite our differences :)

S_and_T Apr 14th 2014 2:58 am

Hi LozBeth.

Firstly, as you can see from our Avatar, I too come from the great city of Liverpool, and support the men in red! We get everywhere!

I would suggest you view it as an adventure. It will take a bit of getting used to. There'll be things you took for granted that aren't readily available; that includes everything from family to supermarkets. (I went into New World close to where I live and asked for pancetta. Apparently, its an type of cheese!)

As some as advised already, don't assume, that NZ is Nirvana. It isn't, but does feel safer than the UK (I'm from Old Swan...I know what it feels like to be wary at night!). It isn't cheap here, things take a bit of getting used to and there are cultural differences - but you adapt.

Good luck.

PS - If ever you are in Wellington, there is a great LFC contingent and all games are shown in a pub in town. And NZ has its own LFC supporters club. YNWA!!

gerard_navickas Apr 14th 2014 7:01 am

I'm blue and blue, an Evertonian through and through...I'm from kirkdale and if you know the area you will know the reasons I decided to upsticks and move to the other side of the world. I've only been here a few days and I love it already. No gangs on the street corner and no snarlers in the pub. I got a mate who has been here 18 months so he's showing me the ropes. There seems to be more positives than negatives...My mate is a red (not his fault) but I bet you'll all be cheering on the blue boys when we play man city soon haha although if I go to wellington I'll be swerving that kopite bar if you's win the league I don't think my ears can take anymore 5 times an that...now I'm off out to teach the locals "dee doo do don't dee do" and spread the gospel of Everton according to Saint Roberto COYB

LozBeth Apr 14th 2014 8:27 pm

Crumpy10 you've sold me on the parking! Liverpool One and the Trafford break me at Christmas time :frown:

Snap Shot my OH is a South African (not to mention tight!) who has lived and acclimatised himself to the cold of the UK for the past 15 years. His job is also predominantly outdoors so he just doesn't feel the cold. Unlike me who had the heating on today when it's our warmest day of the year yet. He just won't pay extra for central heating or double glazing unless it comes with, so my next question to you is.... when are you selling??? :thumbsup:

Snaps I would love to team up! I just can't believe you are struggling I would have thought IT jobs would be high in demand? Maybe they don't have as many security threats.... so maybe we should just create some? ;) I do have some vendor contacts that I am hoping will be useful, so I'm more than happy to share and see what we can muster.

S_and_T, I was in the Swan earlier today, as one of my clients is Alder Hey and my brother lives off Green Lane (posh end - stonycroft lol). The red house and the 1st avenue were the first pubs I ever drank in many moons ago (under age of course!). I was born in Wavertree and bred in Allerton. Primer heffer as my OH says..... maybe that isn't a compliment now that I type it....hmmm.

I will be joining you at the pub in Wellington though! I'll miss my red men. Besides my dad will need his fix when he comes to visit, else he just want come, simple as that really.

Gerard, no gangs or snarlers?? You'll be telling me there are no big issue sellers wearing hoodies next!! I am so glad you are spreading the lingo, it gives me hope someone might just understand me when I get there.

Spread the gospel of Roberto, you'll be wanting to find 12 disciples next, sorry I meant 'fans' - good luck! :p

Snap Shot Apr 14th 2014 10:53 pm

Originally Posted by LozBeth (Post 11218886)
Snap Shot my OH is a South African (not to mention tight!) who has lived and acclimatised himself to the cold of the UK for the past 15 years. His job is also predominantly outdoors so he just doesn't feel the cold. Unlike me who had the heating on today when it's our warmest day of the year yet. He just won't pay extra for central heating or double glazing unless it comes with, so my next question to you is.... when are you selling??? :thumbsup:

It won't be any time soon, sorry !

There's public information bulletins dressed up as adverts in NZ from the company, 'EEEC Energywise' on how to heat your home efficiently. I kid you not. One little tip of theirs is, 'close your curtains just before dusk to keep in the warmth of the day.' I'm not even saying whether it works or not, but ye gods !

You will see NZ houses with their windows open in the middle of winter. This is for ventilation to let the damp out so that clothes, furniture, curtains etc don't get covered in mildew or mould. :eek:

Oh, and keep a tea towel handy to wipe down the windows that will be thick with condensation each and every morning in the winter. It's the morning ritual in most kiwi houses. Don't worry if you feel wetness on the internal walls of your kiwi house, that's probably just condensation too. That's how thin the walls of kiwi houses are. Put your hand on the same area of the same wall in the summer and feel how hot from the sun the wall has got.

In a few months time I'm going to buy the best dehumidifier I can afford as we have a family room which was once the integral garage of the house. It was converted many years ago but is unheated and is next to the utility room er, I mean *laundry, which has a toilet and shower room next to it as well which are also unheated.

*You'll be wanting one of them there European style kitchens with the washing machine in the kitchen......awkward silence from the letting agent. Oh, but it's ok to have the washing machine in the garage. Yes really. Why ? Because that's where the taps for it are. I'm not making this up. There's also a big deal about having a laundry sink. It's just a larger than average sink that's usually next to the washing machine in the utility room. Whoops, there I go again, I meant laundry.

(It made me smile when my kiwi sister in law remarked that you can't open a front loading washing machine mid-cycle like you can a top loader ! Aw bless. I didn't say anything. Top loading washing machines are popular here. Front loading washing machines are just coming into fashion presently. My sister in law told me that front loading washing machines use less water than top loaders. I didn't have the heart to tell her that it makes no difference, water usage varies from machine to machine anyway. You can't tell her anything anyway, so, I've learned through experience to say nothing.)

I can close the (newly installed since we moved in) door to the rest of the house but condensation still forms there at the rear of the house.

You may well end up living in a newly built house in New Zealand. All newly built houses have to have double glazing.

LozBeth Apr 17th 2014 7:03 am

Funny you mention tea towels, my OH was clearing out the garage yesterday and found two tea towels in amongst kitchen things and went to chuck them, I was like 'Noooo, they'll come in handy for the condensation in NZ!' He looked at me like I was mad and placed them in the 'keep' pile probably to humour me lol.

The accommodation we get when we land is provided for by my OH's work so I'm not expecting anything great. I'll start looking for our home as soon as the baby arrives in Sept, in the meantime we'll just have to swallow it.... And get toning those arms cleaning the windows!