Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

liitle for a newbie

liitle for a newbie

Old Jun 13th 2007, 8:29 am
Forum Regular

Leewales is a jewel in the roughLeewales is a jewel in the roughLeewales is a jewel in the roughLeewales is a jewel in the rough
Default liitle for a newbie

Hello can anyone tell what the year round weather is like in Hamilton? and also what is the electricty supply 240v or 110V any answers is a big help thanks and kind regards Lee
Old Jun 13th 2007, 8:51 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: liitle for a newbie

Originally Posted by Leewales
Hello can anyone tell what the year round weather is like in Hamilton? and also what is the electricty supply 240v or 110V any answers is a big help thanks and kind regards Lee
We live in Hamilton and have found the weather so far to be better than the UK. We arrived last October and although it was spring, had some pretty hot days. The locals say it was a shitty summer but I thought it was pretty darned hot. I always say there is no such thing as too hot but even I was driven indoors or into the shade at times. So far, we have had one frost and this would be the equivalent of December. It hasn't snowed here since 1960 although it does snow not far out of the city. If I never have to scrape snow off the car again, I will die a happy woman! We have citrus trees in the garden - I never had those in Britain! It gets very foggy and damp apparently over the winter but as I have said before, it isn't as bad as Peterhead which was a cold wet windy foggy place. Generally, when it rains here, it absolutely buckets down, no half measures. And then it can be brilliant sunshine 10 minutes later. The temp now is10.2c and the time is 8.50pm - not too bad really for winter.
Steve reckons it is 240v - take all your electricals as pretty much everything will work here, well ours work anyway!
Old Jun 13th 2007, 9:32 am
Forum Regular

JoandDean has a spectacular aura aboutJoandDean has a spectacular aura aboutJoandDean has a spectacular aura about

Hi Lee

Just wanted to say hi we are heading to Hamilton also

Thanks for the info Karen it sounds brilliant

Jo x
Old Jun 13th 2007, 9:42 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JoandDean
Hi Lee

Just wanted to say hi we are heading to Hamilton also

Thanks for the info Karen it sounds brilliant

Jo x
Have a good read of the really useful thread - there is some good stuff in there about starting in NZ in general. Loads of links and helpful hints. Helps you hit the ground running.
Karen B
Old Jun 13th 2007, 11:57 am
Forum Regular

Leewales is a jewel in the roughLeewales is a jewel in the roughLeewales is a jewel in the roughLeewales is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by karonious
We live in Hamilton and have found the weather so far to be better than the UK. We arrived last October and although it was spring, had some pretty hot days. The locals say it was a shitty summer but I thought it was pretty darned hot. I always say there is no such thing as too hot but even I was driven indoors or into the shade at times. So far, we have had one frost and this would be the equivalent of December. It hasn't snowed here since 1960 although it does snow not far out of the city. If I never have to scrape snow off the car again, I will die a happy woman! We have citrus trees in the garden - I never had those in Britain! It gets very foggy and damp apparently over the winter but as I have said before, it isn't as bad as Peterhead which was a cold wet windy foggy place. Generally, when it rains here, it absolutely buckets down, no half measures. And then it can be brilliant sunshine 10 minutes later. The temp now is10.2c and the time is 8.50pm - not too bad really for winter.
Steve reckons it is 240v - take all your electricals as pretty much everything will work here, well ours work anyway!
thanks and very informative, whats a good wage out there and the average price of an house? thanks Lee
Old Jun 13th 2007, 12:11 pm
conquering the world!

Originally Posted by Leewales
thanks and very informative, whats a good wage out there and the average price of an house? thanks Lee
I honestly don't know what an average house price would be. It depends on which suburb you want to go for. Ours was in the low $300 000's, 3 bedrooms, quiet cul-de-sac, full gully section. The more affluent suburbs are going to cost more than that obviously. Don't forget to leave some money aside for heating and insulation if you buy an older house. Remember than schooling is zoned - you have to live in the catchment area of the school that you wish to send your kids to.
And wages - I was probably the poorest paid person on my ward at $43 000 (blagged my way into a rise recently ),Steve earns about $40 000 but he is a very junior probation officer, just started in January. The lab technicians here at the hospital were only being paid approx $12 per hour. So, I would suggest that $45 000 would probably be reasonable here.

Last edited by karonious; Jun 13th 2007 at 12:16 pm.