Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Life in New Zealand as a scientist 3 years on.

Life in New Zealand as a scientist 3 years on.

Old Aug 6th 2008, 3:51 am
Forum Regular

SpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to all
Default Re: Life in New Zealand as a scientist 3 years on.

[QUOTE=scubadoo;6649884]
Originally Posted by SpookyET
You definitely chose the wrong place. The best place for a university researcher is United States, especially with "Oxford" on a resume.

Hi - yes I did spend some time working at Yale on Sabbatical from Oxford. I enjoyed it but I'm not too sure about living there, especially in the current climate. But I may be wrong!
I am not sure to what you refer. Climate can mean weather, politics, economics, etc. New England and California are your best bet. Though, Californians are known more for computer science, engineering, and physics. I may be wrong. I just do not recall reading about a biological discovery from that part of US. One usually hears about the NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory at Caltech. Berkeley makes the news from time to time. Regardless, for an academic, US is the best place to be. For me, it is not, I can't stand it, but I am not an academic. I'll eventually write a big post, but I can give you a private summary if you care to know.

Do not despair, and do not be afraid to move again. Apply what you preach: research. Just because a university has the highest density of highly regarded papers, it does not mean that it provides the best lifestyle. Research the city and the people as well. Look at demographics and economic data. Look at youtube videos. Search flick'r for pictures. Look at the city with Google Earth or Goole Maps Street View (virtual drive at the street level). Cold call professors in you field. Their contact is publicly available on the university website. Finally, buy a plane ticket and visit. Treat a move as a research paper. Never ever trust a government, ever, nor advertisements. US is nothing like in the movies.

I do not know if you have heard of Randy Pausch Last Lecture: Achieving Your Childhood Dreams, a Carnegie Mellon University computer science professor, but it has inspired me and million others greatly. It was turned into a book and DVD, and it has made $6 million. Unfortunately, he has died recently, a little more than half a year after that lecture. While for other professors, it is a contest to deliver the best "last lecture" as if they would die tomorrow, for him it was real.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 5:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=SpookyET;6650004]
Originally Posted by scubadoo

I am not sure to what you refer. Climate can mean weather, politics, economics, etc. New England and California are your best bet. Though, Californians are known more for computer science, engineering, and physics. I may be wrong. I just do not recall reading about a biological discovery from that part of US. One usually hears about the NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory at Caltech. Berkeley makes the news from time to time. Regardless, for an academic, US is the best place to be. For me, it is not, I can't stand it, but I am not an academic. I'll eventually write a big post, but I can give you a private summary if you care to know.

Do not despair, and do not be afraid to move again. Apply what you preach: research. Just because a university has the highest density of highly regarded papers, it does not mean that it provides the best lifestyle. Research the city and the people as well. Look at demographics and economic data. Look at youtube videos. Search flick'r for pictures. Look at the city with Google Earth or Goole Maps Street View (virtual drive at the street level). Cold call professors in you field. Their contact is publicly available on the university website. Finally, buy a plane ticket and visit. Treat a move as a research paper. Never ever trust a government, ever, nor advertisements. US is nothing like in the movies.

I do not know if you have heard of Randy Pausch Last Lecture: Achieving Your Childhood Dreams, a Carnegie Mellon University computer science professor, but it has inspired me and million others greatly. It was turned into a book and DVD, and it has made $6 million. Unfortunately, he has died recently, a little more than half a year after that lecture. While for other professors, it is a contest to deliver the best "last lecture" as if they would die tomorrow, for him it was real.
Biotech is H-U-G-E in San Diego
Old Aug 6th 2008, 10:03 pm
Just Joined

scubadoo has a brilliant futurescubadoo has a brilliant futurescubadoo has a brilliant futurescubadoo has a brilliant futurescubadoo has a brilliant futurescubadoo has a brilliant future
Cool Re: Life in New Zealand as a scientist 3 years on.

[QUOTE=SpookyET;6650004][QUOTE=scubadoo;6649884]

New England and California are your best bet. Though, Californians are known more for computer science, engineering, and physics. I may be wrong. I just do not recall reading about a biological discovery from that part of US.

Hi - ever heard of the the California Institute of Regenerative Medicine (CIRM)? Or the billions invested in stem cell research in California. Thats just the tip! I currently work in stem cell research, adult stem cells that is. However in NZ this is rare and unvalued. Whilst the rest of the world invests heavily NZ ignores it completely! What a surprise.
Old Aug 6th 2008, 10:20 pm
Forum Regular

SpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to allSpookyET is a name known to all

[QUOTE=scubadoo;6653270][QUOTE=SpookyET;6650004]
Originally Posted by scubadoo

New England and California are your best bet. Though, Californians are known more for computer science, engineering, and physics. I may be wrong. I just do not recall reading about a biological discovery from that part of US.

Hi - ever heard of the the California Institute of Regenerative Medicine (CIRM)? Or the billions invested in stem cell research in California. Thats just the tip! I currently work in stem cell research, adult stem cells that is. However in NZ this is rare and unvalued. Whilst the rest of the world invests heavily NZ ignores it completely! What a surprise.
I have not heard of it. Stem cells are a bit of problem here. The Redneck In Chief has outlawed federal money towards stem cell research. I am not aware if the law differentiates between embryonic and adult. If Obama wins, that might change.