Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

A' Level equivalent study ?

A' Level equivalent study ?

Old May 30th 2011, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

annabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to all
Default A' Level equivalent study ?

Hi Guys,

I am not sure if anyone will have a quick answer to this but then again someone always comes up with a good bit of advice/info so here goes.

My son is wanting to go to uni’ in Auckland to do a physics degree and we have been able to surmise that the uni' of Auckland requires him to have a minimum of BCC at A level. However, he is sure he will not get a C in his third subject so will fall short of the entry requirement.
We are moving over to Auckland in 12 weeks so he is looking for a course of study to start in Jan/Feb in maths or physics which would enable him to get the equivalent of a minimum C at A level so he has the grades to get into uni'.

I suppose I am asking two questions here;

1, what maths or physics courses are available in Auckland at A level standard ?
2, Where offers a physics degrees in Auckland other than the University of Auckland ?

Thanks for any info in advance,

Annabel
Old May 30th 2011, 8:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: A' Level equivalent study ?

This should help

http://nzqa.govt.nz/qualifications-s...leaving-school
Old May 31st 2011, 3:54 am
Forum Regular

faye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to all

Hi,
I work in the Faculty of Science at Auckland Uni and as far as I am aware there are no other universities in Auckland that offer a full degree in Physics. Massey offers Physics but only some papers are available in Auckland. The rest would have to be taken in Palmerston North.

AUT offer certificates in Applied Science which are a year long and may be enough to get your son into Auckland afterwards. More info here:
http://www.aut.ac.nz/study-at-aut/st...pplied-science

Auckland do offer their own certificates but I think they may have the same entry requirements as the full degree.

It would probably be worth contacting the International Office to see what they suggest. Their details are:
Phone: +64 9 373 7513
Fax: +64 9 373 7405
Email: [email protected]
www.auckland.ac.nz/international

Well done for choosing University of Auckland - it is the best one in NZ!
Old May 31st 2011, 4:57 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by annabel1
1, what maths or physics courses are available in Auckland at A level standard ?
He could probably study A-level Physics at Pinehurst in Albany - they follow the Cambridge curriculum but it'll run at their pace so take two years.

Might look for a private tutor, crash-course it and arrange to sit the A level exam at an earlier opportunity??? Assume he has been studying, just thinks he'll be short on the grade?
Old May 31st 2011, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

annabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to allannabel1 is a name known to all

Thanks guys for the replies, they have helped lots

We have now contacted AUT about the cert' in applied science and MIT about a pre degree course

Hopefully we are on the right track now for getting something sorted,

Thanks again

Annabel
Old Jun 5th 2011, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by faye_h
Hi,
I work in the Faculty of Science at Auckland Uni and as far as I am aware there are no other universities in Auckland that offer a full degree in Physics. Massey offers Physics but only some papers are available in Auckland. The rest would have to be taken in Palmerston North.

AUT offer certificates in Applied Science which are a year long and may be enough to get your son into Auckland afterwards. More info here:
http://www.aut.ac.nz/study-at-aut/st...pplied-science

Auckland do offer their own certificates but I think they may have the same entry requirements as the full degree.

It would probably be worth contacting the International Office to see what they suggest. Their details are:
Phone: +64 9 373 7513
Fax: +64 9 373 7405
www.auckland.ac.nz/international

Well done for choosing University of Auckland - it is the best one in NZ!
Hi Faye,

Thanks for your info' it has been really useful

We did contact the course info' email address but feel a little confused at the response which said............

"The best way to find out if you are eligible is by applying. However entry requirements for the Bachelor programmes is equivalent to entry requirements back in the Universities at the UK".

But the entry requirements in the UK vary quite vastly and isn't the Cert' at pre-degree level ? ? ? ?

We have looked for entry requirements for the course and could only find that it stated that students needed to have completed year 12. Within the next couple of weeks he will have completed yr' 13 in the UK with his 'A' levels and is expecting to gain, 'B' in Physics, 'B' Maths and a 'D' in Psychology. In addition to his 'A' levels he also has 7 GCSE's which are all C's and above. He may not necessarily want to apply straight away for study but would really like to know if he would have sufficient grades to gain access to the course.

Any further advice would be greatly welcomed but I think it may need a call to the number you have kindly provided

Annabel
Old Jun 7th 2011, 1:12 am
Forum Regular

faye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to allfaye_h is a name known to all

Originally Posted by annabel1
"The best way to find out if you are eligible is by applying. However entry requirements for the Bachelor programmes is equivalent to entry requirements back in the Universities at the UK".
That's not very helpful!!

I think a phone call may be the best thing.
If the International Office are no good then maybe try admissions
Phone: 0800 61 62 63 (or +64 9 308 2386 for calls outside New Zealand)

Unfortunately I don't know anything about the application process nor have anything to do with that side of things at the University so can't really help further than that.

Good luck though and I hope you get a reasonable answer soon!