Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Let's talk airlines...

Let's talk airlines...

Old Jan 12th 2007, 8:38 am
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Let's talk airlines...

Originally Posted by StevieB
Probably after the fact now but we found Korean Air to be really good and about the cheapest. Didn't do a stop over due to reasons I won't go into, but it wasn't anything to do with the airline or destinations. Had a 4 hour wait in Soeul for connecting flight, but it was a relaxing wait in a well served truly International airport.
I had qualms about going with them, but I would do so again now.
MMMM, I'm curious....why didn't you stop over?
Old Jan 12th 2007, 8:49 am
BE Enthusiast

StevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud of

It was just that we were by then homeless and had cancelled flights twice because of visa delays. So when the visas did eventually come through we were later than we had anticipated and just wanted to get out here. There's a little more to it, but that's the abridged version!!!
Old Jan 12th 2007, 9:23 am
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute

It was just that we were by then homeless and had cancelled flights twice because of visa delays. So when the visas did eventually come through we were later than we had anticipated and just wanted to get out here. There's a little more to it, but that's the abridged version!!!

Ah I see, sorry for being nosy I was just curious! Isn't it a weird feeling, being adults and being homeless? Its horrible really. I'm technically homeless now, (staying with relatives). :scared:
Old Jan 12th 2007, 9:32 am
BE Enthusiast

StevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud ofStevieB has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Littletoe
Ah I see, sorry for being nosy I was just curious! Isn't it a weird feeling, being adults and being homeless? Its horrible really. I'm technically homeless now, (staying with relatives). :scared:
Yeah weird. We did a 3 week tour of relatives from Norfolk to Moray and back. Had to extend a bit at my Mum's. But we had no home, no car (using a rental), no jobs (in UK), furniture waiting to be loaded on a boat and NO VISA. God knows what we would have done if they hadn't granted them!!:scared:

Last edited by StevieB; Jan 12th 2007 at 9:33 am. Reason: spelling
Old Jan 12th 2007, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

Location: ex Katikati, Omokoroa now Mildenhall UK :-(, 12 days and counting till we are back in NZ!!
tease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nicetease is just really nice

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
OK just to clarify this, flying via the US, you are allowed at least 46kg each, regardless of what visa you are on, even if you are just a tourist. Flying via the East you only normally get 20kg each.

Buzzy

I spoke to Singapore if you are on a validation flight then you get 40Kilos and 7kilos hand luggage - you only get this once so if you have validated and then for some reason returned to the UK and then go back with you extra luggage you will only get 20Kilos - you will need to show your visa at checkin
Old Jan 12th 2007, 10:15 am
Sweeeeet!

Yeah weird. We did a 3 week tour of relatives from Norfolk to Moray and back. Had to extend a bit at my Mum's. But we had no home, no car (using a rental), no jobs (in UK), furniture waiting to be loaded on a boat and NO VISA. God knows what we would have done if they hadn't granted them!!:scared:
Well, I'm glad you got them! Luckily my husband and kids are OK, its just that has to get the visa. I'm going regardless though ,I'm about ready to kill my relatives! (still, now's the time to kill them, I've got my police check back already!). Still haven't sold the car yet, so could always live in there!! Don't you just living life in on the edge....?....OK, maybe not!!
Old Jan 14th 2007, 5:43 am
Just Joined

no1home will become famous soon enough
Cool Re: Let's talk airlines...

Flew with Thai Air in November and they were fantastic. Also Bangkok s new airport opened in October it is fabulous. No queues, plenty of check in desks, 1 km of duty free!! and of course airconditioned.

Also flew MA which were excellent too.
Old Jan 14th 2007, 6:27 am
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold
Thumbs up Re: Let's talk airlines...

OK ,this has probably already been covered, but I'm keen to hear about people's thoughts on airlines for travel to NZ. I've used Emirates (hated it), Air New Zealand (loved it) and Singapore Airlines (the best ever). My husband has just suggested flying with Malaysian Airlines, uh-oh, something new! I like the idea of a different stop over (KL), but unsure about trying something new, especially with a toddler and a newborn. Any thoughts?

Muchas gracias

Nikki
Have used Malaysia ( great ) but did not enjoy 2 night stop over in K.L.
Old Jan 14th 2007, 6:44 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Let's talk airlines...

Originally Posted by tease
I spoke to Singapore if you are on a validation flight then you get 40Kilos and 7kilos hand luggage - you only get this once so if you have validated and then for some reason returned to the UK and then go back with you extra luggage you will only get 20Kilos - you will need to show your visa at checkin
You are quite correct.

But if you are travelling on any visa that doesn't have permanent leave to remain in you destination then you will only get the 20kgs. Also if you stopover for more than a day in say Singapore you won't get the 40kgs on the second leg.

Plus you must get the 40kgs confirmed in writing. I know of that many people who have been told 40kgs by the airline on the phone and then had to argue with the check in staff at Heathrow. Some have been successful and got their promised 40kg, some have had to pay large sums of money in excess baggage.

Whereas via the US you get at least 46kg all the way even if you are just a tourist! Much less hassle in my book.

Buzzy
Old Jan 14th 2007, 8:43 am
Sweeeeet!

Originally Posted by Irish Guinness
Have used Malaysia ( great ) but did not enjoy 2 night stop over in K.L.
Why is that? Not a nice place, lousy hotel?
Old Jan 14th 2007, 11:57 am
BE Enthusiast

Irish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to beholdIrish Guinness is a splendid one to behold

Why is that? Not a nice place, lousy hotel?
Hi Littletoe,
just found it dirty and smelly,the hotel was awful in general,holes in the bedsheets,carpet had stains all over it. It's a place that I would never visit again,having said that i would still fly with Malaysia airlines they where great.
Old Jan 14th 2007, 12:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

Err...excuse me..in the Jackand Adie style...this is a bit of a coup.

ASIATIC FOR EMPEROR!!
Old Jan 14th 2007, 12:11 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Let's talk airlines...

Hi Littletoe,
just found it dirty and smelly,the hotel was awful in general,holes in the bedsheets,carpet had stains all over it. It's a place that I would never visit again,having said that i would still fly with Malaysia airlines they where great.
Thats a shame. We loved KL, stayed in the Shangri-La (5 star) for £20 a night including amazing buffet breakfast.

We had New Year there in 2003 and it was the best New Year we had ever had, even without alchohol!

Buzzy
Old Jan 14th 2007, 12:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Thats a shame. We loved KL, stayed in the Shangri-La (5 star) for £20 a night including amazing buffet breakfast.

We had New Year there in 2003 and it was the best New Year we had ever had, even without alchohol!

Buzzy
Wish we could say the same,guess we were just unlucky !!!!!!!!
Old Jan 14th 2007, 12:31 pm
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Wish we could say the same,guess we were just unlucky !!!!!!!!
(Asiatic for Emporer?)
GO ASIATIC!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.