Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Let's talk airlines...

Let's talk airlines...

Old Jan 9th 2007, 5:44 pm
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute
Default Let's talk airlines...

OK ,this has probably already been covered, but I'm keen to hear about people's thoughts on airlines for travel to NZ. I've used Emirates (hated it), Air New Zealand (loved it) and Singapore Airlines (the best ever). My husband has just suggested flying with Malaysian Airlines, uh-oh, something new! I like the idea of a different stop over (KL), but unsure about trying something new, especially with a toddler and a newborn. Any thoughts?

Muchas gracias

Nikki
Old Jan 9th 2007, 6:21 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: Let's talk airlines...

I've flown on Malaysian Airlines several times, both international and domestic. The domestic flights were very short, therefore unremarkable. The international flights that I took were very pleasant. I found the service to be very good.
Old Jan 9th 2007, 6:23 pm
Banned

Mr Caton is just really niceMr Caton is just really niceMr Caton is just really niceMr Caton is just really niceMr Caton is just really niceMr Caton is just really niceMr Caton is just really niceMr Caton is just really niceMr Caton is just really nice

Originally Posted by Littletoe
OK ,this has probably already been covered, but I'm keen to hear about people's thoughts on airlines for travel to NZ. I've used Emirates (hated it), Air New Zealand (loved it) and Singapore Airlines (the best ever). My husband has just suggested flying with Malaysian Airlines, uh-oh, something new! I like the idea of a different stop over (KL), but unsure about trying something new, especially with a toddler and a newborn. Any thoughts?

Muchas gracias

Nikki
Flew with a toddler on Singapore,awesome, if you have a new born, stick with what you know for now, plenty of time to try out others later.

Colin
Old Jan 9th 2007, 6:27 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Hiya Nikki

We flew with MA last year. There was 4 adults, 2 kids and 2 babies, (11 months & 18 months).

They were fantastic!!!!

We had priority boarding on every flight, bulkhead seats for the cot (extra room) and the staff were superb everywhere.

We booked through ebookers but once booked we dealt with Malaysian Airlines directly. We were able to book seats, order kids meals and they even made sure that they had the correct size nappies on board!!!

The only thing I would advise though is that you supply your own baby food if you need it, fish porridge is sooooo foul!!!!!

K.L.I.A is a fantastic airport too. Facilities are brilliant and the whole place is spotless

K.L. is superb too (altho very humid).The Malay are very friendly and helpful and love kids. We stayed at the Mandarin Oriental in K.L for about £80 a night. It was nice to have that stopover and a bit of pampering and can recommend them highly (think you get a discount, if you include it in your itenary with M.A)

From a womans' point of view, remeber that Malaysia is a Muslim Nation. We made sure we covered up when we were out and about, lots of people didn't, mind you but we did it out of respect really including both of my little girls. Around the hotel you're fine
Old Jan 9th 2007, 9:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Muchas gracias

Nikki
Flew with a few different airlines to NZ over the years and found Cathay Pacific and Singapore to be the best.
Like you, I dont like Emirates, I feel they have gone 'downhill' a bit.
Went over to Brisbane in 2005, Emirates one way, Royal Brunai back. I preferred RB. I found the seat in Emirates hard and uncomfortable, like a lump in the back all the time.
Went to Qatar with Emirates last year, again uncomfortable seats, poor service. Other passengers were also complaining about the hard seats.
I have heard Thai are good but never flown with them.
We are flying out to Malta soon...with Emirates! Not our choice and daft company PA booked it.
Overall, with kids I have found Cathay Pacific to be the best. Pleasant staff and love kids. I would have chosen to fly with them had we been given the choice.
Good Luck
Old Jan 9th 2007, 11:29 pm

Mandie is an unknown quantity at this point

Singapore Airline everytime...fantastic
Old Jan 10th 2007, 1:27 pm
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point

Emirates: fabulous, didn't find seats hard (but I have a very well padded behind), good service
Sing Air: fairly fab, standard Sing Air service which I've never had reason to complain about
Thai: Quite good, very friendly, lovely uniforms (always important)
Garuda: Average, not memorable so can't have been good or bad
Qantas: Not bad, seem to remember seats being small but I may be thinking of another Antipodean airline, boring food
Korean Air: really quite good, lovely bibim bap(?) dish for lunch and dinner - and breakfast I believe, but I like it so no complaints here
Air NZ: no comment
Old Jan 10th 2007, 1:59 pm
Forum Regular

ballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really niceballsrburning is just really nice

Originally Posted by mazi
Emirates: fabulous, didn't find seats hard (but I have a very well padded behind), good service
Sing Air: fairly fab, standard Sing Air service which I've never had reason to complain about
Thai: Quite good, very friendly, lovely uniforms (always important)
Garuda: Average, not memorable so can't have been good or bad
Qantas: Not bad, seem to remember seats being small but I may be thinking of another Antipodean airline, boring food
Korean Air: really quite good, lovely bibim bap(?) dish for lunch and dinner - and breakfast I believe, but I like it so no complaints here
Air NZ: no comment

British airways absolutley shocking hated it.
JAE absolutley fantastic highly reccomend but not cheap.
Quantas absolutley crap well they are basically BA.
thai air: fantastic

Glad to see malaysian airlines have good review they tend to be so much cheaper than the other couriers.
Old Jan 10th 2007, 5:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

spackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud ofspackster has much to be proud of

Muchas gracias

Nikki
IMHO it might be worth picking a carrier and staying them, collecting the airmiles etc, when nipping back and forth to NZ the miles soon build up.

Adie

Last edited by spackster; Jan 10th 2007 at 5:03 pm. Reason: typo
Old Jan 10th 2007, 5:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

nero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond repute
Wink Re: Let's talk airlines...

We are flying with Cathy Pacific via Hong Kong on the 22nd Jan. Has anyone had any experience of flying with them?
Old Jan 10th 2007, 7:38 pm
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nero
We are flying with Cathy Pacific via Hong Kong on the 22nd Jan. Has anyone had any experience of flying with them?
Air NZ of course fly via the US, so you get more than double the luggage allowance of flying via the East which is useful when emigrating.

Buzzy
Old Jan 10th 2007, 7:41 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Air NZ of course fly via the US, so you get more than double the luggage allowance of flying via the East which is useful when emigrating.

Buzzy
Useful to know! Karma for you for that (assuming I can).

We're going with Qantas from LA, but I forget who our carrier is from Chicago to LA.
Old Jan 10th 2007, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

Perdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to allPerdana is a name known to all

Have flown Malaysia a number of times, all flights faultless, very helpful crew and ground staff. KL is a dream, well it was 7 years ago and very friendly, but so is Singapore and both airports effecient and clean.

Also flown Thai Air, Air Hostesses far too pretty and changed their outfits 4 times! again good flight
Old Jan 10th 2007, 11:21 pm
NZ ways is best ways :0)

Wiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond reputeWiz'n'Ton has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mandie.H
Singapore Airline everytime...fantastic
What she said, times 1000. We've flown all sorts around the world, and Singapore have been consistently the best.

HTH,

Wiz
Old Jan 11th 2007, 6:48 am
Forum Regular

SecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee

Buzzy
unless you get them on a code share via singpore

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.