Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

With less than 2 weeks to go, what a kick in the knackers!!!

With less than 2 weeks to go, what a kick in the knackers!!!

Old Sep 22nd 2010, 8:28 pm
Forum Regular

tiri is a jewel in the roughtiri is a jewel in the roughtiri is a jewel in the roughtiri is a jewel in the roughtiri is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: With less than 2 weeks to go, what a kick in the knackers!!!

Originally Posted by Toon_Nut

Had the house on the market for owa 8 months, not a sniff, decided to go with another Agent.

They only come round and start taking pic's etc and ask how long we've had the extension?

"Maybe 5 years, why?"

"Ohhhh, just asking as I'm assuming you've had it signed off from the council and it's clear to sell as a 3 bed, not a 2 bed?"

"WTF!?!?"

"Erm - no."

So, I've been onto the council and asked why the Building Inspector didn't "sign it off" during his routine visits owa 5 years ago? It turns out I've got to call and say the build is complete, will you come and sign it off.

Ok, no problem, stay cool.

The guy came out last week and as he's signing it off at today's date, yep you guessed it, it must meet 2010 legislation, not 2004/5!

Ok, I'm cool with that, what do you want me to do, bearing in mind I'm showing people round ohhhh and I'm leavng the country on the 1st of October but hey, WTF, it'll give me something to occupy my time, I've got nowt else on my mind afterall!!

The list;

1 - brand new double glazed back door that goes out into garage needs removing (and frame) and replaced with fireproof door, frame and fire closer arm.

2 - Both upstairs and downstairs smoke detectors need to be hard wired to the mains board on their own circuit.

3 - mains board needs changing to a 17th edition(?) and all electrics need 20 year test and signing off.

4 - the fresh water gully pipe on the down commer cannot go to the large fresh water bowser we have to collect rainwater for the garden, it must either end 5mts away from the house (not an option - it would look stupid), or go to a seperate trapped gully then into the main man hole under the patio. So that's the whole patio being ripped up, a new water trap plus pipe to be laid and a new drain.

5 - the step out into the garage must be deeper that 150mm. That's easy, I'll just dig up my whole garage floor and relay the bastard thing 10mm shallower shall I!?

On the plus side, he loved the soap dish in the bathroom.

Before anyone says owt, yeh it's me own fault for not ringing to tell them I finished but I'd of thought during his last visit he might of mentioned something about it!!?

'Tis just another small hoop for us to jump through I suppose on our journey!
Aw that sucks, it's even worse in NZ. Kiwis have a bit of a rep for adding on bits to their houses without getting consent. Just letting you know so you don't get caught out on the other side, being a naive pom and all that.
Old Sep 23rd 2010, 2:55 am
Scorchy legs

Dewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond reputeDewb09 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: With less than 2 weeks to go, what a kick in the knackers!!!

Originally Posted by Toon_Nut
Neil, just noticed the soap dish had been moved by the agent - here ya go mate, left hand side!
Thats a lovely soapdish
you get a sale soon

Dewb