British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   With less than 2 weeks to go, what a kick in the knackers!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/less-than-2-weeks-go-what-kick-knackers-685930/)

Toon_Nut Sep 18th 2010 7:06 am

With less than 2 weeks to go, what a kick in the knackers!!!

:(

Had the house on the market for owa 8 months, not a sniff, decided to go with another Agent.

They only come round and start taking pic's etc and ask how long we've had the extension?

"Maybe 5 years, why?"

"Ohhhh, just asking as I'm assuming you've had it signed off from the council and it's clear to sell as a 3 bed, not a 2 bed?"

"WTF!?!?"
:eek:

"Erm - no."

So, I've been onto the council and asked why the Building Inspector didn't "sign it off" during his routine visits owa 5 years ago? It turns out I've got to call and say the build is complete, will you come and sign it off.

Ok, no problem, stay cool.

The guy came out last week and as he's signing it off at today's date, yep you guessed it, it must meet 2010 legislation, not 2004/5!

Ok, I'm cool with that, what do you want me to do, bearing in mind I'm showing people round ohhhh and I'm leavng the country on the 1st of October but hey, WTF, it'll give me something to occupy my time, I've got nowt else on my mind afterall!!

The list;

1 - brand new double glazed back door that goes out into garage needs removing (and frame) and replaced with fireproof door, frame and fire closer arm.

2 - Both upstairs and downstairs smoke detectors need to be hard wired to the mains board on their own circuit.

3 - mains board needs changing to a 17th edition(?) and all electrics need 20 year test and signing off.

4 - the fresh water gully pipe on the down commer cannot go to the large fresh water bowser we have to collect rainwater for the garden, it must either end 5mts away from the house (not an option - it would look stupid), or go to a seperate trapped gully then into the main man hole under the patio. So that's the whole patio being ripped up, a new water trap plus pipe to be laid and a new drain.

5 - the step out into the garage must be deeper that 150mm. That's easy, I'll just dig up my whole garage floor and relay the bastard thing 10mm shallower shall I!?

On the plus side, he loved the soap dish in the bathroom.
:rofl:

Before anyone says owt, yeh it's me own fault for not ringing to tell them I finished but I'd of thought during his last visit he might of mentioned something about it!!?

'Tis just another small hoop for us to jump through I suppose on our journey!

cdw Sep 18th 2010 7:26 am

Go back, Building regulations are not retrospective but those that were in force when you were granted regulation approval apply. The Fire door nto the garage and the step have be in the regs for years. You may find your garage floor has a fall to the outside and you can just grind the offending area. Not sure what he's saying about your surfce water, if it went into a soakaway that would have to be 5m away. The main thinmg to find is the stamp drawings from the council that they approved which will be dated and should contain information on what you should have done construction wise. Chris

Also hard wire smoke detectors have been in the regs for at least 10 years, 17th edition only came in 3 years ago so you may get away with your 16th edition board. Chris

Toon_Nut Sep 18th 2010 7:36 am

Re: With less than 2 weeks to go, what a kick in the knackers!!!

Cheers Chris, really appreciate the feedback.

The part that I find strange re the smoke detectors is the fact that they aren't even in the new build, there in the hallway and top of the stairs of what I would class the old house, why then do I have to start chasing walls and running wires into something that essentially wasn't changed in the first place?

cdw Sep 18th 2010 8:10 am

The need is to check the granted permissions and what they require of you, as the smoke detectors are not being altered then they may not be part of the application, but there may be a condition on your approval that they are upgraded. It all very much depends on the area you are in and the mind set of the inspectors as how they interpret the regulations on your application. As a general rule the regs only apply to the extension if thats what you built and any alterations to the existing. Building Control also can grant dispensation to some building regs for extensions for practicality reasons such as work to listed buildings where it would be to insist on full compliance. This is unlikely on a domestic extension but has been known to happen. Go back to the council and ask for clarification, but to help any argument paper work is needed. did you do the work yourself or have you a friendly builder or mate in the know who could help. Chris

A quick check of Part B 2006 regulations.

B1 e "Where a dwelling house is extended smoke alarms should be provided in circulation spaces" no get out clause for existing circulation spaces as the finished building is normally considered as a whole.

B3 g "100mm step from the garage into the house"

Chris

Make sure the door has the right rating. Without checking it would be a minimum of half hour rating with at least a intumenscent strip but may require a smoke seal as well. All stuff of the shelf you just have to find the right shelf. Must have a self closing devise, most people fit a "perko" in the hinge style of the door, but they sometimes struggle to close the door when the inspector is watching. If you can go for a overhead that fits to the top of the door and the frame. (Try Screwfix)

Chris

rushmere Sep 18th 2010 8:12 am

I would agree with cdw. I was in a similar situation - had to get my 10 year old extension signed off. I was told it only had to meet the regulations in force at the time it was built. Good luck!

Toon_Nut Sep 18th 2010 8:46 am

Originally Posted by cdw (Post 8857318)
B3 g "100mm step from the garage into the house"

Chris

Seriously!?

Your a bloody star mate, I'm just about to set about the garage, I've just cleared the lot out into the back garden - result!!

As for the other stuff, fresh water pipe I can do this weekend easy, I've already dug up the patio and I can fit a small trap right next to my existing man hole and there's a spare in-let so that a doddle.

I've already removed the back door and done the plastering last night, I'm picking a door and frame up from Magnet later today so that'll be on by tomorrow.

Smoke alarms - right. I've had a chat with a spark I drink with this morning and he says I can jump them from my downstairs lighting circuit, no need to go back to mains board and the reason for this is because if you do wire to a seperate fuse and go away for a few weeks holiday, how you you know your smoke alarms are still fused when you return from holiday without checking your board when you get home (like you do obviously!), he says link them from most common circuit (downstairs lights) that way when you walk in, switch on lights you know your alarms are all live.

He tends to agree on the board as well, he says just because my board is a 16th edition there's no reason to change it, unless of course it fails a ten year periodic.

Dewb09 Sep 18th 2010 9:34 am

Sorry toon nut am of no help but .......OMG :scaredhair: nightmare for you, best of luck sorting it all out :fingerscrossed:

Well done CDW you are a :starsmile:

Dewb

Justcol Sep 19th 2010 3:26 am

Tell you what, I'll buy you a pint when you get here to help you forget all about it ?

Jan n Neil Sep 19th 2010 10:22 am

Any chance of a piccy of the soapdish ;)

*i,ll get me coat*

Boopy Sep 20th 2010 9:50 am

I hope you get it all sorted asap toony :)

Toon_Nut Sep 20th 2010 10:33 am

Booby - it's on!!

Whooooooop whoooooooooop!!

He's just been back, spotty dog he's owa the moon with it all. Well, sort of, I did warn him the door was still wet but did he listen? Oh, hang on, I forgot to mention it - what a shame!!
:p:p

No need for the garage floor to be done (thanks to Chris :thumbup: I just mentioned section B3)

Col - your on mate, make it a pitcher the way I feel I need a few!

Neil, here's my soap dish mate! http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-27538093.html
:lol:

Reet, just need to flog the bloody thing now, anyone??

Toon_Nut Sep 20th 2010 10:36 am

1 Attachment(s)
Neil, just noticed the soap dish had been moved by the agent - here ya go mate, left hand side!
:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Mrs Pointer Sep 20th 2010 3:28 pm

My tip for selling is to remove anything that makes the house personal to you ie nicknaks, photos, evidence of canine residents, give it a fresh lick of magnolia, make sure every inch of it shining and get an agent in that only gets paid if it's sold!!

that's what I did and ours sold in 15 days (although the missives haven't been signed yet so :fingerscrossed:)

And if you don't like the photos - take your own. Our living room looked terrible so I rearranged it and took my own on a sunny day.

And remember kerb appeal.

I watched the House Doctor!!

bunnyphobia Sep 21st 2010 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by Toon_Nut (Post 8861214)
Booby - it's on!!

Whooooooop whoooooooooop!!

He's just been back, spotty dog he's owa the moon with it all. Well, sort of, I did warn him the door was still wet but did he listen? Oh, hang on, I forgot to mention it - what a shame!!
:p:p

No need for the garage floor to be done (thanks to Chris :thumbup: I just mentioned section B3)

Col - your on mate, make it a pitcher the way I feel I need a few!

Neil, here's my soap dish mate! http://www.rightmove.co.uk/property-...-27538093.html
:lol:

Reet, just need to flog the bloody thing now, anyone??

Hey Toony,

I used to live in Low Fell till I moved out here in August - lived on Kells Lane, near the primary school :) Your house has just made me a wee bit nostalgic!

House looks cracking, and it's a good area so follow Mrs Pointer's tips and you should sell pretty quickly.

Crossing fingers for you. Hope you're all ready for the move!!

Toon_Nut Sep 21st 2010 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by bunnyphobia (Post 8866149)
Hey Toony,

I used to live in Low Fell till I moved out here in August - lived on Kells Lane, near the primary school :) Your house has just made me a wee bit nostalgic!

House looks cracking, and it's a good area so follow Mrs Pointer's tips and you should sell pretty quickly.

Crossing fingers for you. Hope you're all ready for the move!!

Whey aye man Bunny, how's it gannin' like?!!

lol

The bloody place is gleaming like a new pin FFS, there's nowt left to polish, well, maybe one thing!
:eek:
:o

Reet, I'm off up the Black Horse to have a few jars for ya and to drown me sorrows!
:beer::beer: