Reload this Page >

Kiwis can't believe we have a problem with cost of living

Kiwis can't believe we have a problem with cost of living

Old Nov 8th 2005, 2:37 am
Forum Regular

benultimate is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Kiwis can't believe we have a problem with cost of living

Originally Posted by NZ Climber
Sorry to hear that Rascal. I feel for you. We were with some friends the other weekend who are also brits and have been here for about a year. They've got one child with another on the way and they are really feeling the pinch. She's not working and he is but they are still renting and the fridge was basically bare when we went round. It's very sad, they've taken a massive step backwards in coming here and are now treating it as a two to three year holiday before they basically run out of money completely and have to go home.

We know how hard it is but we're turning the corner (I think) and only because we have no kids and both have decent jobs. At least you've made friends here, we've been here two years and are only starting to be invited to BBQs etc because the kiwis are so closed to new people.

Basically in a lot of ways, they're just f******g rude.
bloody aucklanders-world revolves round auckland..didnt ya know?
Old Nov 8th 2005, 2:59 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by benultimate
you cnt pin it down specificlly to a year unfortunitly-its not that it should cool off-but rather has to..you gotta have buyers for sellers to sell property..prices have gone from under-valued to over-valued, itl rebound look in the short-term, the R.Bank is actively seeking to cool it off-they certainly have a lot of influence when they want

Exactly. The above was also being booted around last year .

The year measure wasn't my yardstick.

Originally Posted by CWEMM02
A year out should see your pounds go further on exchange and the house prices should have levelled off. A realestate agent is suggesting that there may be some mortgage sales on the horizon and our timing of August 2006 could be fortunate. Michael
There is no way to accurately predict any of the above. Last year, this year or next year.
It will be interesting to watch the overall NZ economy, interest rates , exports, following the general election .
Old Nov 8th 2005, 3:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Might have something to do with your attitude.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 11:53 am
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

At least you've made friends here, we've been here two years and are only starting to be invited to BBQs etc because the kiwis are so closed to new people.

Crikey! With that attitude I'm not surprised your Billy no mates!
Prehaps it isn't the Kiwi attitude but maybe you are just the one that is F*****g rude
KAZ
Old Nov 8th 2005, 12:05 pm

scottish is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by kaz Hen
Crikey! With that attitude I'm not surprised your Billy no mates!
Prehaps it isn't the Kiwi attitude but maybe you are just the one that is F*****g rude
KAZ
Christ oh mighty dont you just feel the love lol

My advice would be move to the beach its amazing how many folk want to be your bestest mates haha

No in all honesty I did find Kiwi Aucklands not as friendly as the BOP, but you could say the same with London and the North of England.

My advice to any expat is to get along with the Kiwis say their country is wonderful, you love everything about it and never ever mention the word mortgage free. Oh and the views!!!

We were blessed and had loads of Kiwi mates, expats etc but some folk just dont want to put themselves out. Not saying that about anyone in particular so dont come at me like a pack of wolves guys. I also know of some expats who sat in their homes the whole time and would only mix with other expats. But whatever makes you happy eh!!
Old Nov 8th 2005, 12:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottish
Christ oh mighty dont you just feel the love lol

My advice would be move to the beach its amazing how many folk want to be your bestest mates haha

We were blessed and had loads of Kiwi mates, expats etc but some folk just dont want to put themselves out. Not saying that about anyone in particular so dont come at me like a pack of wolves guys. I also know of some expats who sat in their homes the whole time and would only mix with other expats. But whatever makes you happy eh!!

Very true Scottish, I can imagine if you have a place in the South of France it's amazing you are everyone's new best friend. After Christmas the phone would not stop ringing.

Also true that some folk do not want to put themselves out, probably because they don't need any new friends. I have posted on this topic before but when we came to the UK it was me that had to make all the effort to acquire some friends. Now I have some lovely friends but it was hard work.
Cheers
KAZ
Old Nov 8th 2005, 12:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond reputeJeeper has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry to hear that Rascal. I feel for you. We were with some friends the other weekend who are also brits and have been here for about a year. They've got one child with another on the way and they are really feeling the pinch. She's not working and he is but they are still renting and the fridge was basically bare when we went round. It's very sad, they've taken a massive step backwards in coming here and are now treating it as a two to three year holiday before they basically run out of money completely and have to go home.

We know how hard it is but we're turning the corner (I think) and only because we have no kids and both have decent jobs. At least you've made friends here, we've been here two years and are only starting to be invited to BBQs etc because the kiwis are so closed to new people.

Ever thought of orgnising a BBQ yourself and inviting them instead of sitting there with that attitude waiting for an invite?
And don't worry too much about cost......most kiwi's will bring a plate and a box/crate/tray of beers.
Old Nov 8th 2005, 2:12 pm

scottish is an unknown quantity at this point

Have to say one particular Kiwi couple who mothered us in NZ used to come down to the house with a chilly bin full of beer and chips.... loved that about them....
Old Nov 9th 2005, 1:23 am
Banned

auldduck is an unknown quantity at this point

Been back in Dunners a few days and already had a load of good experiences, eg

the electrical shop guy who gave me a no questions refund on a new fan heater when I got the old one going again, even though I opened the box;

the people who didn't pinch my fuel cap when I left it off at the filling station and came back a couple of hours later;

neighbour who has offered me use of all his tools and will help me fix the rimu kitchen unit that needs putting back (blimmin heavy!);

other neighbours who have told me to do what I like with 'their' hedges that overgrow into my garden;

guy from Toyota who jumped in a car to put me right on fitting 2 new batteries;

nobody sour, nobody jealous or stupid, pretty much everybody helpful and kind.

cheers - Quackers