Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Why people have Negative Concepts about NZ ?

Why people have Negative Concepts about NZ ?

Old Oct 24th 2005, 8:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

ghanghro is a jewel in the roughghanghro is a jewel in the roughghanghro is a jewel in the roughghanghro is a jewel in the roughghanghro is a jewel in the rough
Wink Why people have Negative Concepts about NZ ?

Hi everyone,

Me and my wife started to explore about NZ last year and finally came up with an idea to move there. Our EOI was selected from the very first selection in March-05. Since our case was handled in Bangkok Branch, it took us 6 months to receive our ITA. Anyways, just today we're ready to send our formal application along with all the required documents.

During all these times, we've been exploring forums / other sites and etc to judge what should we expect once we'll arive in NZ. One thing that we've never been to able understand is why most of the people send NEGATIVE SIGNALS about life in NZ. Specially when someone tries to compare it with Australia then the situation becomes worst. OK, I agree that Australia is a bigger country with of course huge economy which will result in more chances to work but still why people are always trying to justify that if Australi is good then the NZ must be bad.

I'm an experienced IT Professional and have been in touch with some recruitment agencies there in NZ since last couple of weeks or so. The picture looks good at the moment for IT Guys and I'm hopeful that we'll be OK there. So overall we are planning to come there with a positive attitude but what I think is that NZ seriously needs an Awareness Campaign to clear the doubts that people have about the life there.

Just a last point: We've been reading a lot about the Expenses in NZ. Though we havnt been there but what we've seen on the web sites (cost of livings sections) and through some of the friens who are living there, beleive me its nothing there if you compare it with the expenses here in DUBAI. If you really want to see an expensive city to live in, just give Duabi a try for few months. Just to give you an idea, people are forced to pay 60% of there monthly income for House Rent only and in many cases, people nowadays cant even afford to rent a house here and they live in shared accomodations.

Any suggestions, views will be welcome to clear our doubts

Ghanghro
Old Oct 24th 2005, 10:29 pm
Forum Regular

jrsuk73 has a spectacular aura aboutjrsuk73 has a spectacular aura aboutjrsuk73 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Why prople have Negative Concepts about NZ ?

Originally Posted by ghanghro
Hi everyone,

Me and my wife started to explore about NZ last year and finally came up with an idea to move there. Our EOI was selected from the very first selection in March-05. Since our case was handled in Bangkok Branch, it took us 6 months to receive our ITA. Anyways, just today we're ready to send our formal application along with all the required documents.

During all these times, we've been exploring forums / other sites and etc to judge what should we expect once we'll arive in NZ. One thing that we've never been to able understand is why most of the people send NEGATIVE SIGNALS about life in NZ. Specially when someone tries to compare it with Australia then the situation becomes worst. OK, I agree that Australia is a bigger country with of course huge economy which will result in more chances to work but still why people are always trying to justify that if Australi is good then the NZ must be bad.

I'm an experienced IT Professional and have been in touch with some recruitment agencies there in NZ since last couple of weeks or so. The picture looks good at the moment for IT Guys and I'm hopeful that we'll be OK there. So overall we are planning to come there with a positive attitude but what I think is that NZ seriously needs an Awareness Campaign to clear the doubts that people have about the life there.

Just a last point: We've been reading a lot about the Expenses in NZ. Though we havnt been there but what we've seen on the web sites (cost of livings sections) and through some of the friens who are living there, beleive me its nothing there if you compare it with the expenses here in DUBAI. If you really want to see an expensive city to live in, just give Duabi a try for few months. Just to give you an idea, people are forced to pay 60% of there monthly income for House Rent only and in many cases, people nowadays cant even afford to rent a house here and they live in shared accomodations.

Ghanghro
We haven't got any suggestions but what i can say is after being really positive about moving to NZ my wife had a bad case of shall we shall we not last night due to all the negative feed back on this forum.

It all started off reading a very positive thread then the doom and gloomers came on with there if we don't like it or we haven't been able to make it work bad attitude then no body should be able to.

Don't get me wrong it is always good to hear both sides but when there is a positive thread to help people see through the doom and gloom leave it that way.If need be start a new thread and moan as much as you want,that way you have a choice whether to read it or not.

I had to call my future employer at midnight to put my wife's mind at rest, what he told me was you cant judge the cost of living in NZ on Auckland alone he is in Christchurch and the comparison he gave was Auckland is like London over priced rat race and Christchurch is more affordable. I was concerned that the wages i would be earning would not be enough to survive with a family of five and he assured me it was by also giving me websites of local supermarkets to research along with property just to see what we could get for our money.

At the end of the day life is what you make it, from what i have learnt on this forum if your going out there thinking with the exchange rate being good your going to be mega rich forget it.NZ is very much a family country,some where you can bring your kids up safe and that is priceless.

Jon
Old Oct 24th 2005, 10:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

newkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to beholdnewkiwi is a splendid one to behold

Hi everyone,

Ghanghro
If you do your research and take a balanced view of negative and positive aspects you should be fine. NZ is relatively small, some people find that limits their employment opportunities, others find it a positive aspect. Personally I enjoy NZ, it is safe and affordable for us, we bought a house we would never have been able to do in Ireland.... It is isolated but there is so much to see in NZ itself to make up for that.
However, moving to a new country is hard, and in NZ you are far away from family etc, wages vary and can be low, and some ppl have justified views that NZ isnt for them. Everyone is different, at the end of the day it is up to you, and how you find the new country. Best is to do as much research, find out what will be important to you when you move, and rank NZ on the basis of that.
Old Oct 24th 2005, 11:20 pm
Forum Regular

annaerb will become famous soon enoughannaerb will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by jrsuk73
We haven't got any suggestions but what i can say is after being really positive about moving to NZ my wife had a bad case of shall we shall we not last night due to all the negative feed back on this forum.

It all started off reading a very positive thread then the doom and gloomers came on with there if we don't like it or we haven't been able to make it work bad attitude then no body should be able to.

Don't get me wrong it is always good to hear both sides but when there is a positive thread to help people see through the doom and gloom leave it that way.If need be start a new thread and moan as much as you want,that way you have a choice whether to read it or not.

I had to call my future employer at midnight to put my wife's mind at rest, what he told me was you cant judge the cost of living in NZ on Auckland alone he is in Christchurch and the comparison he gave was Auckland is like London over priced rat race and Christchurch is more affordable. I was concerned that the wages i would be earning would not be enough to survive with a family of five and he assured me it was by also giving me websites of local supermarkets to research along with property just to see what we could get for our money.

At the end of the day life is what you make it, from what i have learnt on this forum if your going out there thinking with the exchange rate being good your going to be mega rich forget it.NZ is very much a family country,some where you can bring your kids up safe and that is priceless.

Jon
Jon,

Your right Life is what you make it. I've been in NZ for 30+ years came as a 3 yr old. My parents (in their 60's)are on the pension( not a huge amountl) they have their own house, still pay a small mortgage, still eat, still go out, buy presents for their grandkids, pay their bills and they still save and go to Australia once a year and of course can buy a ice cream
We are a family of 4 and would probably spend approx $4,000mth for living but everyone's circumstances are diff. I am in Auckland and it's not all bad believe me. If you would like to know anything and if I can help find out anything for you then let me know.

I don't like all the doom and gloomers either. If it's so bad then why are you all still hear go somewhere else and moan.
Old Oct 24th 2005, 11:31 pm
Forum Regular

annaerb will become famous soon enoughannaerb will become famous soon enough

Hi everyone,

Ghanghro

http://www.kellyservices.co.nz/job_search_main.cfm
http://jobstuff.co.nz/
http://www.jobzone.co.nz/jobzone/adS...26C655B7F6DA37
Old Oct 24th 2005, 11:33 pm
Banned

Debs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by annaerb
Jon,

Your right Life is what you make it. I've been in NZ for 30+ years came as a 3 yr old. My parents (in their 60's)are on the pension( not a huge amountl) they have their own house, still pay a small mortgage, still eat, still go out, buy presents for their grandkids, pay their bills and they still save and go to Australia once a year and of course can buy a ice cream
We are a family of 4 and would probably spend approx $4,000mth for living but everyone's circumstances are diff. I am in Auckland and it's not all bad believe me. If you would like to know anything and if I can help find out anything for you then let me know.

I don't like all the doom and gloomers either. If it's so bad then why are you all still hear go somewhere else and moan.
No shite annaerb? well you fooled me for many months then!! you're the biggest kiwi on any NZ forum going love!.. "come live in NZ it's nearly free, come live here, it's sunny all year round"!!! it's total bollox and you know it! you're such a BS in a BIG WAY!
Old Oct 24th 2005, 11:44 pm
Forum Regular

Markk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Debs70
No shite annaerb? well you fooled me for many months then!! you're the biggest kiwi on any NZ forum going love!.. "come live in NZ it's nearly free, come live here, it's sunny all year round"!!! it's total bollox and you know it! you're such a BS in a BIG WAY!
what bought that on?
Old Oct 24th 2005, 11:50 pm
Banned

Debs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Markk
what bought that on?

Annereb is a kiwi, lived in NZ since she was 3 (a kiwi) and is loaded... has a lovely life with a lovely view of the sea and all that. Hasn't got a clue when it come to the brits coming over, just rants on and on and on about how NZ life is soooooo fanstastic! not exactly the type of person who should be posting here! she paints a very unrealistic life of New Zealand on this forum which is WRONG in my book.
Old Oct 24th 2005, 11:56 pm
Forum Regular

Markk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud of

Annereb is a kiwi, lived in NZ since she was 3 (a kiwi) and is loaded... has a lovely life with a lovely view of the sea and all that. Hasn't got a clue when it come to the brits coming over, just rants on and on and on about how NZ life is soooooo fanstastic! not exactly the type of person who should be posting here! she paints a very unrealistic life of New Zealand on this forum which is WRONG in my book.
Yes, but Debs you just rant on in a different way? I can't really see what purpose you have in coming on here to stir things up? It's good to hear the plusses and minusses of living in NZ, but do you have to do it in this manner?
And on that note it's probably time to turn in for the night.
Mark
Old Oct 25th 2005, 12:01 am
BE Enthusiast

ghanghro is a jewel in the roughghanghro is a jewel in the roughghanghro is a jewel in the roughghanghro is a jewel in the roughghanghro is a jewel in the rough
Red face Re: Why prople have Negative Concepts about NZ ?

Hi guys,

If I ever knew, this thread will bring a heated discussion like this, I wouldnt have started it.

Annereb! Thanks buddy for providing positives I'll look forward to more comments

Markk: well said.

My turn to turn off lights, its quite late here

Ghanghro

Last edited by ghanghro; Oct 25th 2005 at 12:03 am.
Old Oct 25th 2005, 12:04 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Markk
Yes, but Debs you just rant on in a different way? I can't really see what purpose you have in coming on here to stir things up? It's good to hear the plusses and minusses of living in NZ, but do you have to do it in this manner?
And on that note it's probably time to turn in for the night.
Mark

Mark, I don't stir things up.. I look in every so often out of curiosity, is that wrong? don't I have a right to have a say so every now and then?

Mark, when you've walked in my shoes then you go ahead and tell my tale, until then, be a sport and let me say what I want to say?
Old Oct 25th 2005, 12:06 am
Banned

Hi guys,

If I ever knew, this thread will bring a heated discussion like this, I wouldnt have started it.

Annereb! Thanks buddy for providing positives I'll look forward to more comments

Markk: well said.

My turn to turn off lights, its quite late here

Ghanghro

You should have titled your thread something like: 'Positives only' LOL!

Best o luck! sorry I bothered! ha ha ha ha ha ha ha (to the suckers).
Old Oct 25th 2005, 1:12 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Yes Deb we have to shut up cos some folk can't face the truth.

Wages are dire and the cost of living is very high, now how is this a negative post when it's the truth!
Old Oct 25th 2005, 1:59 am
Forum Regular

melting pot is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by sky
Yes Deb we have to shut up cos some folk can't face the truth.

Wages are dire and the cost of living is very high, now how is this a negative post when it's the truth!
Again its all in the interpretation isn't it,those who come here and comment on struggling,called moaners...good god..if your wife needed reassurance great..it means your checking what you are doing...something I didnt do, so why ask the advise of strangers...whats in it for us to say how it is...maybe ask yourself why do you only want to hear the good bits...or maybe the truth is too close to the knuckle...lets hope your not back on here when you arrive struggling like MANY of us,and not just in Auckland...its country wide ! If your finances pan out,great,good luck to you...if not...maybe then you will understand why some of us are on here asking the pointed questions...after all,we are living here...what would we know
Old Oct 25th 2005, 2:06 am
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

Jumping on Annaerb's comments in this manner is not appropriate. You have every right to post your thoughts but it doesn't need to be done in such a hostile way.

There are many ongoing discussions about the good and bad of NZ, no one is trying to sugar-coat anything, people are just calmly and politely sharing their own personnal experiences.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.