Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

kids & long haul flights!!

kids & long haul flights!!

Old Mar 21st 2008, 9:41 am
BE Enthusiast

iwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond reputeiwannagonow has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: kids & long haul flights!!

Originally Posted by dreamfish
try phenargen - buy over the counter at chemist. In the right dosage (as advised on the packet) it helps the little ones sleep by making them drowsy.

thanks for that, will get some Phenergen & give it a trial before we leave, see how long they are 'knocked out' for! A good 24hrs would be good
Old Mar 21st 2008, 12:00 pm
Forum Regular

truditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nice

Originally Posted by iwannagonow
thanks for that, will get some Phenergen & give it a trial before we leave, see how long they are 'knocked out' for! A good 24hrs would be good

Knock out drops didnt do anything for my daughter (2 at the time) and when we moved back we had two night flights so my (by then ) 3year old and 3 month baby slept like a dream. But would suggest the idea of getting a few small gifts - nothing major but wrap them up, and every now and then get one out, even the notion of a wrapped present can make it more fun, worked like a dream for my 2 year old. But yes the films/consoles are great. If your kids have hand held consoles make sure they are fully charged, that would keep my son quiet for days if I let him. Have fun.
Old Mar 21st 2008, 12:01 pm
Forum Regular

truditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nicetruditjh is just really nice

Originally Posted by iwannagonow
Another suggestion would be to take the Phenergan yourself !!!
Old Mar 21st 2008, 8:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

Choose a night flight if you can, they will sleep better if it's their normal sleeping time.

Handheld gameboy (or whathaveyou) for the 10 yo. Some new games for it if he's already got one. Harry Potter books. There is a lego variety that gives you 3 vehicles to make in the one set of lego - can be made in the box it comes in and should keep him occupied.

For the 5yo, a sticker book. I found some sheets of sticker shapes and it kept my two quiet just pulling them off the sheets and sticking them all over their colouring books! Consider a pound shop tetris game because big brother has a gameboy (saves fights). Get some Matchbox cars that he's never seen before and keep them just for the flight. I also invested in some cheap walkmans from Woolworths and some tapes from the Early Learning Centre.

Read to them both! Children of all ages adore being read to and it's guaranteed to keep them quiet. Let them interrupt the story with questions, it'll make the book last longer It's not like you've got anything else to do

To those with upset children, hand earplugs to the people who complain behind you - it's not like you're making the child squeal, is it?
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 12:54 am
sean n

sean n has a brilliant futuresean n has a brilliant futuresean n has a brilliant futuresean n has a brilliant futuresean n has a brilliant futuresean n has a brilliant futuresean n has a brilliant future

Hi,

We recently travelled with a hyperactive 7 year old and a 9 year old from birmingham-Auckland with stop offs in Dubai, singapore, and OZ with Emirates.We took rucksacks filled with stuff for them to do: psp, reading,colouring books, puzzle books, magnetic board games.

We used nothing!

The screens in the back of each seat had so much for them to both watch and play.They had loads of films,programmes(simpsons etc) and games for them to play.The only thing they actually used was their cuddly toy to sleep with.They didnt sleep for long(about 5hrs) on the whole trip but it was all fine.To be honest it wasnt anywhere near as bad as i though it was going to be.The grottyness started on landing due to jet lag!!

Hope this helps, we didnt know what to take either though, we took it all and ended up avin to carry it everytime we got off for re-fueling!

You may be able to go on their website and view their tv listings etc.

Good Luck, Sean & Vikki