Kapiti coast area

Old Jun 9th 2012, 10:10 pm
Just Joined

Location: England, currently New Zealand, next Brisbane Australia
mark3166 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Kapiti coast area

Hey, we have just moved to paraparaumu from palmy.
I just wanted to see if there were many others on here living in this area, what you like about it, and what kind of activities there are for young families?

I'm 30, my wife is 25 and we have three young children, one girl almost 5, a boy almost 4 and another boy that's 2. (and yes we do own a tv)

Any tips, advice or anything else that may help us settle or keep us busy would be great, thanks
Old Jun 9th 2012, 11:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Kapiti coast area

Originally Posted by mark3166
Hey, we have just moved to paraparaumu from palmy.
I just wanted to see if there were many others on here living in this area, what you like about it, and what kind of activities there are for young families?

I'm 30, my wife is 25 and we have three young children, one girl almost 5, a boy almost 4 and another boy that's 2. (and yes we do own a tv)

Any tips, advice or anything else that may help us settle or keep us busy would be great, thanks
Hi there, yes there are a few of us up this way. We meet up for coffee.
What do I like about it, walking my dog on the beach. My gym. The weather being way better than Wellington. The fact I work 5 mins from my home.
I have everything I need on hand and the city is not too far away if I want more variety.
Mrs F, is in transit to the UK at the moment, but Im sure she will be along soon, her kids are younger than mine so will be able to give you some more age appropriate tips than me on things to do locally.
Kaz
Old Jun 12th 2012, 2:15 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Dave, as Kaz says we're just over in UK for a couple of weeks.
If your wife is into going to the Gym Kaz is always looking for someone to join her , not really my thing but the tea and cake lunch dates are

I have a nearly 11 yr old daughter and a 6 yr old son but messing about on the beach age doesn't really come into it.

When we're back maybe a few of us can have a meet up as sure Moso and her children up in Waikanae will be up for it as well.

send me a pm to remind me

Last edited by MrsFychan; Jun 12th 2012 at 2:17 pm. Reason: added to
Old Jun 12th 2012, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

jjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nice

Hey folks.
we're also just about to move to Palmy.
I was just going to post a new thread asking if Highbury is as bad as eveyone says, and why?
Just seen an amazing house to rent there, although there are others as nice.
Babyella - I'd love to join you at the gym! Which one do you go to?
Mark3166 - my daughter is 2 1/2 so please let me know if you find any cool/free things to do with little little ones!
I arrive July 9th all going well, coffee and cake is always up my street!
J
Old Jun 12th 2012, 8:22 pm

MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

if you read the thread a bit more closely you will see that he is moving from Palmy to Kapiti and those that have replied live locally on the Kapiti Coast.
May I suggest you start a new thread with regards to your questions on Palmerston, hopefully some locals will be able to advise and offer some met ups
Old Jun 12th 2012, 8:23 pm
Forum Regular

jjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nicejjsebba is just really nice

Sorry! My mistake!
Old Jun 12th 2012, 10:30 pm
Forum Regular

skybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud ofskybluestu has much to be proud of

Hi Guys

We have been in Paraparaumu Beach now for three weeks as we have just moved down from Napier. As i had been working in Welly and commuting from Napier for the last ten months we decided to move down, we loved it in Napier but a new Job for the wife also dictated that we make the move towards Wellington. As we did not want the Welly weather we decided on Kapiti and so far we are quite happy, the 15 year old daughter likes Kapiti college and our 19 year old son as already been offered a job in Welly untill he goes to Uni next year. Result so far.......even with the commute in to work
Old Jun 13th 2012, 5:19 am

Glad to see more people in this neck of them woods should organise a meet
Old Jun 13th 2012, 10:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

Great idea Mrs F,
I nominate you for the job when you get back.
Has the weather picked up for you on your trip home yet or is it still raining.
Been sunny here, cold in the mornings and night but sunny during the day.
Have fun on your trip
Kaz
Old Jun 15th 2012, 9:07 pm
Forum Regular

Teresa Green is just really niceTeresa Green is just really niceTeresa Green is just really niceTeresa Green is just really niceTeresa Green is just really niceTeresa Green is just really niceTeresa Green is just really niceTeresa Green is just really niceTeresa Green is just really niceTeresa Green is just really nice

Hi Mark

Welcome to Paraparaumu. We have been here for two years and really like it here. I commute to Welly each day but wouldn't want to live there - too cold! We don't have any kids so can't really help much with you question but just wanted to say hello.
Old Jun 16th 2012, 7:09 am
BE Enthusiast

MOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond reputeMOSO has a reputation beyond repute

I'm another expat up here on the coast taking advantage of the better weather! I'm sure Mrs F will be arranging a meet-up in Paraparaumu when she gets back from the rainy UK (she's easy to spot with her dodgy parking).

My kids are older but if you want ideas in the area:
Obviously the beaches in the summer, Waikanae is our favourite!
Pukerua Bay for rock pools
Raumati Beach miniature railway runs at the weekends from the park by the beach, the track is being extended to the beach I think but I'm not sure if this has been done yet, $2 per trip?
Southwards Car Museum
Village Beads shop in Paraparaumu beach for girls
Kapiti Gymnastics club on Mazengarb road - amazingly well equipped, great classes.
Otaihanga Park/access to Waikanae River (summer!)
Kapiti 10 pin bowling, Coastlands cinema
Lindale on SH1 - used to have a small farm/play area, not sure if it's still there.
Waikanae Beach park/rope swing opposite Long Beach/Front Room cafes/restaurant
Whareroa Park - short country walks http://www.doc.govt.nz/parks-and-rec...rm/activities/
Battle Hill Farm - camping, walks, animals, rope swings, stream, picnic areas etc.
Otaki Forks (gravel road access) between Te Horo and Otaki similar to Battle Hill Farm but without the animals
Levin Adventure park - great park with mini railway if you're going north