Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Just Some Advice Really

Just Some Advice Really

Old May 2nd 2015, 6:46 pm
Just Joined

Charlie_Summ is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Just Some Advice Really

Hi, my name is Charlie, I'm 22 years old and would just like some advice on moving to New Zealand really.

I've looked everywhere, but can't really find what I'm looking for. I was looking at coming over on a 23 month holiday work visa with a possibility of residency, but can't find any information if you can have the holiday work visa then apply for residency visa. So I'm just hoping for some help. Many thanks Charlie

Last edited by Charlie_Summ; May 2nd 2015 at 6:59 pm.
Old May 2nd 2015, 8:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

LukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just Some Advice Really

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/
Old May 2nd 2015, 9:11 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Charlie and welcome to our little bit of BE

A holiday visa allows you to work your way around so you are limited to the type of work you can do and how long you can be in any one position. Apart from that if you do get an offer of permanent work and it has the relevant criteria to uplift a more permanent visa then yes you can apply.

What are you skill sets and educational background. have you looked at other visa and their requirements?
Old May 3rd 2015, 7:40 am
Just Joined

That's my problem really, I didn't have the best education when I was in school. I was in college and in my second year I suffered and retinal detachment so I had to pull out of college for that reason. I'm willing to learn what I need to, to move hate there, but if I'm not able to then i would go on the holiday visa.
Old May 3rd 2015, 8:16 am

MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

can I ask why NZ? Do you have family here?

unless you have some skills that NZ requires I can't see you would be able to get a permanent visa unless of course you fall in love and have a relationship with a New Zealand with PR status, but that would need to prove a day to day relationship of over 12mths.
Old May 3rd 2015, 2:52 pm
Just Joined

no, i have a friend that lives over there, but thats about it. i just don't want to live in england anymore and nz looks like a beautiful place to live
Old May 3rd 2015, 7:45 pm

have you done research on the cost of living, lack of choice and expense to travel away from the islands?
If you have a friend here maybe you could come over for a holiday first for 6mths and see how you feel, you would have to leave to apply for a WHV but to emigrate it does take a bit of money. or just apply for the WHV, 23mths and see how you go. but on the WHV you cannot work all the time but it may give you a way in for a more permanent visa if you can find an accredited company that needs someone who has your skill set. (basically no on else in NZ can do the job).
Old May 3rd 2015, 10:49 pm
Just Joined

I've looked into the cost of rent and food, but haven't looked into the prices of utilities like electric, water, gas and stuff. So WHV will have to do me, I suppose 23 months is better than living there at all. i have a fair bit of money saved for it too.
Old May 3rd 2015, 10:59 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

You are young enough to come over on the working holiday visa and enjoy what New Zealand has to offer . You can work for one year out of the 23 months , so can pick up work along the way to supplement your savings.

With no particular skill set to your name at the moment , you would be hard pressed to find a way to remain in NZ living and working. What you need to do is settle on an occupation that NZ wants & then work towards that.

Meanwhile though, I would certainly suggest you scratch that itch with an extended WHV stay in NZ.