Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

interview & police check

interview & police check

Old May 4th 2015, 12:43 am
Forum Regular

McLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really nice
Default interview & police check

Hi all, I have an interview for a company in ChCh. Part of the process is filling in their form where I must declare any convictions/offences within the past 7 years, and anything over that lands under the clean slate act.

That's all fine, BUT, I do have a fine that was about 7.5 years ago - from in the uk. I understand this will turn up on my police certificate as under step down rules it will do so until it is 16 years old.

The job will provide me with the WCF route into NZ.

Will the employer see my visa forms / police cert? Should I declare it to them anyway even if its over 7 years? Rather than look like I lied or tried to hide something that may turn out to be obvious.

Also, interview - the company is quite laid back and informal like so many seem to be in NZ, I'm in half a mind to be suited and booted for this interview. Its via web cam and in my own house, but its still an interview! But then don't want to seem like a stiff, and if I'm informal don't want to seem like I didn't make the effort for an interview!

Any tips from those that have gone through this?
Old May 4th 2015, 1:52 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: interview & police check

There is no reason for an employer to see your visa application or police check unless they are handling your visa paperwork.

Yes. Suited and booted for an interview sounds like the sensible way to go.

What is WCF route please?

Can you apply for early clearance for this fine ? NZIS may question the visa application and you may need a character waiver. In which case the employer may question why the delay and leave you in an awkward position.
Old May 4th 2015, 2:08 am
Forum Regular

McLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really niceMcLeod is just really nice

Originally Posted by BEVS
There is no reason for an employer to see your visa application or police check unless they are handling your visa paperwork.

Yes. Suited and booted for an interview sounds like the sensible way to go.

What is WCF route please?

Can you apply for early clearance for this fine ? NZIS may question the visa application and you may need a character waiver. In which case the employer may question why the delay and leave you in an awkward position.
Hi Bev's, yeah I did think of doing my police cert early. But my work to remain visa will be dependent on the job offer so I can't submit it to be checked by nzis (my auto correct tries to change that to Nazis !).

From what I've read it shouldn't mean I need a character waiver, might need an explanation letter from me is all (?).

Its a small fine, no bank robbery or international diamond theivery involved

The company is well used to employing from abroad so I expect they are used to delays and things.

I'm a software developer, and for whatever reason there's not enough of us in NZ, so I guess that's why they are happy to have applications from outside the country.

I'll check the date of the fine, if its over 7 years I won't include it. Even if they then find out for whatever reason, I won't have lied (wilingly or not) on the form.

I guess I'll see if my suit fits me still!
Old May 4th 2015, 2:21 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

aah Work to Residency visa

http://www.immigration.govt.nz/migra...k/workperm.htm'

Software Developer is in the Long term skills shortage so you should be able to get a WTR as long as you met the criteria and have the relevant qualifications
http://skillshortages.immigration.go...per-programmer

Last edited by MrsFychan; May 4th 2015 at 2:24 am.
Old May 4th 2015, 2:29 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
Yup, that's the one MrsF!
I think it means I'm tied to the employer, and in NZ for 2 years.

From what I know of them from the outside looking in - that suits me fine.