Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

just recieved bad news

just recieved bad news

Old Dec 1st 2008, 7:01 pm
Banned

gedsy is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy just recieved bad news

just recieved some bad news about the employment situation. something about the new national party having to ask employers if they could 'employ someone from here in n.z.' rather than an 'immigrant'. apparently health, I.T. and teaching are still in demand which is fortunate because my wife is a nurse . I'm a metalworker/welder. Has anyone heard of this turnaround in the employment situation for skilled people. Gedsy.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 8:54 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: just recieved bad news

Don't quite understand. Then again I am easily confused.

There may well be policy change now there is a change of government.

NZIS review their policy every six months as a matter of course . They do this in line with the labour department.

They look at the unfilled vacancies in the country and see which of the trades, professions or skills they need to attract into the country so they can fill those vacancies. They would also look at those currently in training here in NZ.

You can see which trades or professions are wanted by looking at the shortages lists. They are reviewed every 6 months.

It may well be that with the downturn in the economy there will be less jobs around and so less vacancies to fill. Therefore , NZIS and the Dept of Labour would be looking to attract less migrants in.

Where a job vacancy is not on either of the shortages lists, it has always been the case that the NZ employer has to prove that there is no NZ permanent resident or citizen for the job.

Where the work is on the shortages lists, this means that the shortage has already been proven.

If you gain PR through your wife's nursing then you will be given an open visa. You can work at any employment . You would be a permanent resident.
Old Dec 1st 2008, 9:18 pm
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

I too have heard of no change in policy, and it seems more likely that any change that might impact on you is in the normal course of reviews that are undertaken. As Bevs says, only one of you needs to get the points for PR, the other can come in on the same application and get a job in the normal way.

Reading between the lines somebody may have been misinformed (which if it was an employer or agent doesn't surprise me too greatly).
Old Dec 1st 2008, 10:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

alanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gedsy
just recieved some bad news about the employment situation. something about the new national party having to ask employers if they could 'employ someone from here in n.z.' rather than an 'immigrant'. apparently health, I.T. and teaching are still in demand which is fortunate because my wife is a nurse . I'm a metalworker/welder. Has anyone heard of this turnaround in the employment situation for skilled people. Gedsy.
This is not actually a change, it was always the case that jobs on the shortage list has to pass a "test" that they could not employ the required skill force from the current NZ population before going over seas.

All the Nats have done is to reiterate this, but as far as I know there is no change from what it always had been
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 1:22 am
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by alanmacc
This is not actually a change, it was always the case that jobs on the shortage list has to pass a "test" that they could not employ the required skill force from the current NZ population before going over seas.
Last year when my hubby was offered a job, his employers were just asked to state how and when they have tried filling the vacancy (and I have the paperwork to prove it) - nothing about a test! I can't see what 'test' they could give employers... that's not to say you're wrong, just I think it sounds daft to 'test' employers as this will start deterring employers from recruiting overseas.
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 1:31 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

i assume alanmacc is simply saying that the test is the checklist of things the employer must do to employ someone from overseas rather than having an employer sit down and complete a test of some sort.
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 2:18 am
BE Forum Addict

UKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond reputeUKNZAUS has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwiprincess
i assume alanmacc is simply saying that the test is the checklist of things the employer must do to employ someone from overseas rather than having an employer sit down and complete a test of some sort.
Sorry, this is what I meant also. The paperwork I have just asks the employer to state how, where and when they advertised the job and that was it. So if this is the 'test' then it's been happening since at least last July when hubby's employers filled in our forms, and nothing new that National or whoever have sprung up.
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 2:19 am
BE Forum Addict

Sorry, I also just realised I quoted Alanmc too when I should have quoted the OP. Apologies
Old Dec 2nd 2008, 3:03 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Two tests if you like.

One is the checklist that the employer does to show there is no-one to fill their vacancies.
He/she lists what adverts they have done; what training is in place etc.

The other test is a labour market test which looks at reported vacancies , unemployment, those registered as looking for work etc.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 4:47 pm
Banned

gedsy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by BEVS here
Don't quite understand. Then again I am easily confused.

There may well be policy change now there is a change of government.

NZIS review their policy every six months as a matter of course . They do this in line with the labour department.

They look at the unfilled vacancies in the country and see which of the trades, professions or skills they need to attract into the country so they can fill those vacancies. They would also look at those currently in training here in NZ.

You can see which trades or professions are wanted by looking at the shortages lists. They are reviewed every 6 months.

It may well be that with the downturn in the economy there will be less jobs around and so less vacancies to fill. Therefore , NZIS and the Dept of Labour would be looking to attract less migrants in.

Where a job vacancy is not on either of the shortages lists, it has always been the case that the NZ employer has to prove that there is no NZ permanent resident or citizen for the job.

Where the work is on the shortages lists, this means that the shortage has already been proven.

If you gain PR through your wife's nursing then you will be given an open visa. You can work at any employment . You would be a permanent resident.
Thanks for your reply Bevs and also to every one else that posted a reply.As you can probably appreciate through experience and /or other peoples experiences of emmigration, any little hiccup whether true or not magnifies because of the massive step your planning to take. If everyone in n.z. is as helpful as you lot no worries. Thanks again mates. Gedsy.