Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Been to NZ, came back to the UK, do we go back?

Been to NZ, came back to the UK, do we go back?

Old Dec 3rd 2008, 4:12 pm
Forum Regular

marbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nice
Default Been to NZ, came back to the UK, do we go back?

Hi,
Its strange really that in 2000 we moved out to NZ and lived for 5 years in wanganui. After that time we decided that we had had enough of a small town and being away from family that we moved back to the UK. Me and my husband were fortunate to have 2 boys whilst we were out there. Now we are back we have realised that most of the family and friends that we were missing have carried on with their lives and we don't see them much. They seemed to have changed and so have we I guess. We are really considering moving back out to somewhere bigger like the tauranga which is still by the sea (which i did enjoy) but which is close enough to auckland to go for the day and see the sport etc. We know we will have to save all over again to go but its a case of are we seeing things through rose coloured specticles as they say.
Its great to hear about all you people wanting to go and loving it whilst your there, i hope we will feel like that if we choose to go.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 9:13 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Been to NZ, came back to the UK, do we go back?

Originally Posted by marbles
Hi,
Its strange really that in 2000 we moved out to NZ and lived for 5 years in wanganui. After that time we decided that we had had enough of a small town and being away from family that we moved back to the UK. Me and my husband were fortunate to have 2 boys whilst we were out there. Now we are back we have realised that most of the family and friends that we were missing have carried on with their lives and we don't see them much. They seemed to have changed and so have we I guess. We are really considering moving back out to somewhere bigger like the tauranga which is still by the sea (which i did enjoy) but which is close enough to auckland to go for the day and see the sport etc. We know we will have to save all over again to go but its a case of are we seeing things through rose coloured specticles as they say.
Its great to hear about all you people wanting to go and loving it whilst your there, i hope we will feel like that if we choose to go.
Hi marbles, ahh, considering being a ping pong Pom?!

I have some friends who did that, they moved from the UK to Napier, then back to the UK and now they are here in Tauranga (Papamoa) and absolutely loving it this time around! However, it was a very expensive exercise as I am sure you can appreciate.

Is it possible it is just the area you are in back in the UK? Maybe try a new area - whole lot cheaper? Mind you, I figured in for a penny in for a pound and if we were going to move we may as well make it 12,000 miles!

We have been in Papamoa approximately 20 months and love it. The beaches, the weather, the people, the scenery and the opportunities for the kids have been fab.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
Old Dec 4th 2008, 12:25 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
We know we will have to save all over again to go but its a case of are we seeing things through rose coloured specticles as they say.
I think you probably are but only you can answer that...you know what they say, anyone can make the same mistake once but only a fool does it twice. Have people really moved on that much?
You have 'come back' after all...it is certainly true that for those who return just for holidays they are sometimes shocked at the lack of interest in their arrival (but there are all kinds of jealously explanations for that)...I think you maybe just need to find common ground again or make new friends with people of like mind.
If you are constantly 'running the UK down' and making unfavourable comparisons with NZ, I'm guessing that will drive people in the wrong direction. It's like I can criticise my relatives but you can't join in.

I've been to Tauranga and wouldn't say it would be that different to Wanganui....I think you should think bigger and go for Auckland say to give it a greater chance of working second time.....the main downsides are geographic isolation to rest of world and within NZ itself (where do you go on holiday when you've done all of Oz and NZ?) and low salary levels which can leave you a bit 'trapped'......I would also say try a move in UK first if you feel you have outgrown your old area and relatives.
Enjoy your 'proper' NH Christmas.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 3:45 pm
Forum Regular

marbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nicemarbles is just really nice

On the contrary we have actually said nothing but positive things about england since we have moved back so that certainly has nothing to do with it, and at the moment not even the closest family know that we are considering leaving again. We don't want to upset people if we don't follow through with it, they might as well be ignorant of it and carry on thinking that we are back for good.
We have also lived in both the cold north of england where we grew up and where we have come back to and outside london where we were before we left, so i don't think that moving around the uk would be the answer. I honestly feel its either here or there and nothing in between.
I would love to hear from anyone that has been in a similar position and who has gone back over to NZ for a 2nd time and thought it was the best thing they could have done. I know the finiancial cost is high but you live along time so there is no point sitting and saying what if when we could have done something about it.
We liked the bay of plenty area when we visited it, its much bigger than wanganui and it is in travelling distance to auckland for the day.
I found it really helpfull to share my thoughts with people on this site when we were moving back, there is usually someone going through the same thing, so i've come back to listen again the positive things about the country and why we should do it i guess.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 5:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute

On the contrary we have actually said nothing but positive things about england since we have moved back so that certainly has nothing to do with it, and at the moment not even the closest family know that we are considering leaving again. We don't want to upset people if we don't follow through with it, they might as well be ignorant of it and carry on thinking that we are back for good.
We have also lived in both the cold north of england where we grew up and where we have come back to and outside london where we were before we left, so i don't think that moving around the uk would be the answer. I honestly feel its either here or there and nothing in between.
I would love to hear from anyone that has been in a similar position and who has gone back over to NZ for a 2nd time and thought it was the best thing they could have done. I know the finiancial cost is high but you live along time so there is no point sitting and saying what if when we could have done something about it.
We liked the bay of plenty area when we visited it, its much bigger than wanganui and it is in travelling distance to auckland for the day.
I found it really helpfull to share my thoughts with people on this site when we were moving back, there is usually someone going through the same thing, so i've come back to listen again the positive things about the country and why we should do it i guess.

My daughter and family lived in Wanganui at first and then after 6 months moved to Papamoa and feel more settled there. They have been there 2 years now and love it. All the best.