Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Just how careful can you be?

Just how careful can you be?

Old Jul 16th 2007, 11:20 am
Forum Regular

scharlonie will become famous soon enoughscharlonie will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Just how careful can you be?

Originally Posted by kev&sarah
When comparing buying to renting, I would go for renting, certainly to begin with. It is actually so much cheaper. We rent a 4bed 2bath house for $350 a week. The house next door is for sale at the moment. It's a 3 bed version of ours & is on the market for $399,000 which would work out at roughly $2200 per month in mortgage at today's rate.

Included in our rent is any rates & water charges. We only pay for power & phone/internet.
Hi Kev&Sarah.
Thats seems really cheap. The ones i've seen on the web are more like 500$ per week. where abouts in NZ are you?
Old Jul 16th 2007, 11:22 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scharlonie
Hi Kev&Sarah.
Thats seems really cheap. The ones i've seen on the web are more like 500$ per week. where abouts in NZ are you?

Top of South Island, Blenheim

Our rental is brick built too
Old Jul 16th 2007, 11:23 am
BE Forum Addict

kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dreamfish
DP Doesnt want us to go to NZ unless we have sold the house or have a job offer. And preferably both.

But my feeling is the agencies/employers would rather he was in the country to get a job.

And with the housing market the way it is we would our house could have the cutting edge by being empty. That would surely make it more attractive? (we cant let it - the rent wont cover mortgage)

So how many of you have gone out to NZ with no job offer, and a house to sell in the UK. We have around £60k to throw at the move without our house sale (which will only yield another £25-30k). We would have a mortgage holiday for a few months too. So we have enough capital to get flights, container, minimum deposit on a house, car etc etc ANd I am sure it would be easier to get a job once we are there.

Is this mad?
PM me your email and I will send over the jobs I get sent each week.

It may help.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 11:24 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scharlonie
Hi Kev&Sarah.

Where are you looking at going Scharlonie??
Old Jul 16th 2007, 11:29 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dreamfish
DP Doesnt want us to go to NZ unless we have sold the house or have a job offer. And preferably both.

But my feeling is the agencies/employers would rather he was in the country to get a job.

And with the housing market the way it is we would our house could have the cutting edge by being empty. That would surely make it more attractive? (we cant let it - the rent wont cover mortgage)

So how many of you have gone out to NZ with no job offer, and a house to sell in the UK. We have around £60k to throw at the move without our house sale (which will only yield another £25-30k). We would have a mortgage holiday for a few months too. So we have enough capital to get flights, container, minimum deposit on a house, car etc etc ANd I am sure it would be easier to get a job once we are there.

Is this mad?

The only madness i can see is staying. I can't get a job offer without being there, so we're waiting for contracts to exchange and then we're off to Welly. However because of the exchange rates at the moment we're leaving as much money in the UK as we can and try and move it out when it's more favourable. But, visitor visa for us...
Old Jul 16th 2007, 11:44 am
Forum Regular

scharlonie will become famous soon enoughscharlonie will become famous soon enough

We're looking to come out after new year, ready for the kids to start the new school in Feb
Old Jul 16th 2007, 11:47 am
Forum Regular

opps sorry thought u meant when not where. Looking at north island probably around the cities so that OH can get job in IT and i can get job in physio, so looking at hospitals etc..
Old Jul 16th 2007, 11:51 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

You can pick something like this up in Wellington. I happen to know that this is a very nice area ( cos some of this rabble live close by )

http://www.realestate.co.nz/559818

But still cheaper than buying in that area.

Try www.realestate.co.nz
Old Jul 16th 2007, 11:58 am
Forum Regular

You can pick something like this up in Wellington. I happen to know that this is a very nice area ( cos some of this rabble live close by )

http://www.realestate.co.nz/559818

But still cheaper than buying in that area.

Try www.realestate.co.nz
thanxs for the sites, will look at them.
ttfn
sharon
Old Jul 17th 2007, 5:51 am
Forum Regular

Kerry W is a name known to allKerry W is a name known to allKerry W is a name known to allKerry W is a name known to allKerry W is a name known to allKerry W is a name known to allKerry W is a name known to allKerry W is a name known to allKerry W is a name known to allKerry W is a name known to allKerry W is a name known to all

Hi there, it took us 1.5 years to sell the house in the UK (popular street too) but the housing market was horrendous. We changed estate agents and within 3 months of changing, we had 3 people interested in one weekend. We accepted 10K less but thought to hell with it, lets just go!

We came over with about the same as yourselves and expected my partner to a job in IT straightaway but it took nearly 6 months before he finally got a job. All our money has pretty much been swallowed by the mortgage but do I have any regrets about the whole thing.... no. I was stressful to begin with but so glad we made the move.

I 'personally' would just go for it!

Good luck guys
Old Jul 17th 2007, 5:56 am
Forum Regular

Kerry W is a name known to allKerry W is a name known to allKerry W is a name known to allKerry W is a name known to allKerry W is a name known to allKerry W is a name known to allKerry W is a name known to allKerry W is a name known to allKerry W is a name known to allKerry W is a name known to allKerry W is a name known to all

By the way, do you know theres a Wellies meet up for anyone working in IT? Worth going to that (if you come to Wellington of course) , there is a post about meet ups on this site.

What does he do in IT? Ted Logan (partner) may be able to give him some advice.
Old Jul 17th 2007, 6:18 am
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there, well when we came over we still had the house to sell and the person buying the business never paid us ( she did eventually - and I still think not lovely thoughts about her!) so we arrived in NZ with 3000 pounds in my bag!! Ok we knew that eventually we would have more, after the house sold and we got the money... but at the time it was a bit scarey. We'd also found our dream house and had no money to pay for it!! Ah those were the days!
So good luck whatever you decide
Old Jul 17th 2007, 6:54 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Kerry W
By the way, do you know theres a Wellies meet up for anyone working in IT? Worth going to that (if you come to Wellington of course) , there is a post about meet ups on this site.

What does he do in IT? Ted Logan (partner) may be able to give him some advice.
usually works with as400's but is project managing at mo. Anything really to do with IT consultancy.