Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Just how careful can you be?

Just how careful can you be?

Old Jul 15th 2007, 6:02 pm

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Just how careful can you be?

DP Doesnt want us to go to NZ unless we have sold the house or have a job offer. And preferably both.

But my feeling is the agencies/employers would rather he was in the country to get a job.

And with the housing market the way it is we would our house could have the cutting edge by being empty. That would surely make it more attractive? (we cant let it - the rent wont cover mortgage)

So how many of you have gone out to NZ with no job offer, and a house to sell in the UK. We have around £60k to throw at the move without our house sale (which will only yield another £25-30k). We would have a mortgage holiday for a few months too. So we have enough capital to get flights, container, minimum deposit on a house, car etc etc ANd I am sure it would be easier to get a job once we are there.

Is this mad?
Old Jul 15th 2007, 7:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Just how careful can you be?

Originally Posted by dreamfish
DP Doesnt want us to go to NZ unless we have sold the house or have a job offer. And preferably both.

But my feeling is the agencies/employers would rather he was in the country to get a job.

And with the housing market the way it is we would our house could have the cutting edge by being empty. That would surely make it more attractive? (we cant let it - the rent wont cover mortgage)

So how many of you have gone out to NZ with no job offer, and a house to sell in the UK. We have around £60k to throw at the move without our house sale (which will only yield another £25-30k). We would have a mortgage holiday for a few months too. So we have enough capital to get flights, container, minimum deposit on a house, car etc etc ANd I am sure it would be easier to get a job once we are there.

Is this mad?
If I had 60k to go with and not having to sell the house I would be on the plane and over here fast. Thats huge amounts without selling the home.

This is only my opinion of course and not everyone is as mad as us, but we have 4 kids and have sold the house, leaving here with approx 50k. We will not be having anything shipped out, up until friday we didn't have a job offer, OH drives trucks so not even on the Long term list but if you don't go for it you will forvever regret.
My attitude is, so many people come over here with nothing and dont even speak the lingo and yet they manage to do ok. I think selling the house would be a good idea and mainly because there is less of a tie for you, although again, this is only what I would do. No-one can quite believe we are going to do it until we get on the plane but I want it enough to make sure no matter what lies ahead we will overcome and make it happen for us and the children.

Nici
Old Jul 15th 2007, 7:51 pm

Originally Posted by kato33
If I had 60k to go with and not having to sell the house I would be on the plane and over here fast. Thats huge amounts without selling the home.

This is only my opinion of course and not everyone is as mad as us, but we have 4 kids and have sold the house, leaving here with approx 50k. We will not be having anything shipped out, up until friday we didn't have a job offer, OH drives trucks so not even on the Long term list but if you don't go for it you will forvever regret.
My attitude is, so many people come over here with nothing and dont even speak the lingo and yet they manage to do ok. I think selling the house would be a good idea and mainly because there is less of a tie for you, although again, this is only what I would do. No-one can quite believe we are going to do it until we get on the plane but I want it enough to make sure no matter what lies ahead we will overcome and make it happen for us and the children.

Nici
thank you for replying. reading back at my post it really looks like i am bragging about the money but i dont intend to at all. the majority of that money there is meant to be a deposit on a new home in NZ. we have two small children and so DP's concern is that there is a roof over our head and food on the table. but the longer i sit here waiting for this move to happen the more agitated i am becoming. we have our permanent residency visas stuck in our passports - yet still stuck here!!!
we have even had our leaving party - how daft is that??!!! hahahahaha. i wanna go!!! but convincing DP is HARD.
i am so depressed
Old Jul 15th 2007, 8:20 pm
Happy in Wellington

RobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond reputeRobClubley has a reputation beyond repute

We sold our house and came out here with no joboffer and about GBP 15k - and we're doing okay

I'm in IT and I got offered a job after six days!
Old Jul 15th 2007, 8:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute

thank you for replying. reading back at my post it really looks like i am bragging about the money but i dont intend to at all. the majority of that money there is meant to be a deposit on a new home in NZ. we have two small children and so DP's concern is that there is a roof over our head and food on the table. but the longer i sit here waiting for this move to happen the more agitated i am becoming. we have our permanent residency visas stuck in our passports - yet still stuck here!!!
we have even had our leaving party - how daft is that??!!! hahahahaha. i wanna go!!! but convincing DP is HARD.
i am so depressed
Oh please dont think I thought you were bragging.

Keep your chin up Dreamfish. Is the house for sale yet?
My house was up for sale and a couple really really wanted it yet the OH was quibbling over 1k. It took me a while to make him see sense. I too got very depressed but those days are going to come. It will happen for you.

Silly question really but have you talked to the OH about how down your getting? PM me if you want to chat, anytime. We dont live far from you either. Perhaps a nice pub lunch would go down well while we are moaning about 'him indoors'.
Old Jul 15th 2007, 8:41 pm
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Is this mad?
Hi Kate,

Hope you're not getting too impatient/stressed about the whole moving thing.

The 'getting a job when in NZ' situation sounds practical and sensible to me, but with all the financial horror stories re: migration & NZ in particular, I would not recommend moving without the house sold or let.

It would be potentially much less damaging to have some of the house costs covered via rent (albeit not covering all the mortgage) than no income by leaving it empty and on the market. So I'd either let it or sell it, depending on which is your preference/fits in best with your plans.

Whilst £60k sounds a lot of money and people manage with much less, it could also easily be swallowed up by all the moving/set-up costs and if for example, it takes 6-12 months to find suitable employment in NZ and the same again for a house sale to complete.

Trying not to sound negative in this reply, which afterall is only my personal opinion, but whilst the desire to go is very strong, financial worries about your UK house and securing employment once there, could possibly ruin it all as well. Maybe it just comes down to how much (financial) security, if any, you guys personally need to feel happy, relaxed and sleep well at night. I'm sure it would all 'be right in the end' whatever you do really.
Old Jul 15th 2007, 8:44 pm

Originally Posted by kato33
Oh please dont think I thought you were bragging.

Keep your chin up Dreamfish. Is the house for sale yet?
My house was up for sale and a couple really really wanted it yet the OH was quibbling over 1k. It took me a while to make him see sense. I too got very depressed but those days are going to come. It will happen for you.

Silly question really but have you talked to the OH about how down your getting? PM me if you want to chat, anytime. We dont live far from you either. Perhaps a nice pub lunch would go down well while we are moaning about 'him indoors'.
aww bless - no i didnt think you thought i was blah blah blah
i worried others might!
yes i can see all the figures make sense. guess we/he's worried about the gamble.
house has been on the market now for 8 weeks - 6 weeks with an agent who was ruddy awful, and 2 with a new agent. market is so slow, have dropped the price 8k already and prepared to go another 5k - but thats my limit.
beer sounds great!!!! hahaha - especially with the summer holidays coming up and two toddlers running around wild.
dp and i are kinda talking about it now but not making much progress.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 12:14 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Kate

Not much help with the job bit I'm afraid, but have to agree that esp. with IT it would appear that you will have no problems finding work once you get here.

With regards to the house, if you don't need the money for your move, then I would sign power of attorney over to your solicitor & get yourselves on a plane.

If the house market continues at the pace it's at at the moment, you will probably know before you get an offer or ready to complete whether this emmigration 'thing' is gonna work. Remember you can pull out right up to exchange, so nothing ventured nothing gained!!!

Our house took 4 months to sell & we have friends that have been on the market since January & still not sold. Kev's parents are trying to sell their house at the moment ( so they can come to NZ!!) & they are equally frustrated with the market.

I think because the pace has slowed so much in the last 3 months, you won't get top price for your house in the UK for too much longer, so think carefully about ANY offer you might get.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 8:14 am
BE Forum Addict

danny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond reputedanny.f has a reputation beyond repute

Is this mad?
What's DP?
Old Jul 16th 2007, 8:43 am
Jedi Princess

kiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond reputekiwi_child has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by danny.f
What's DP?
Dear Partner, I think.
Old Jul 16th 2007, 9:19 am
Forum Regular

KIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really niceKIRSTIE is just really nice

hi dream fish,

i am sure that you will sell your house soon, we are going to go without job offers if they do not come through, i am not at that stage yet but we have it all sorted out. fingers crossed we will get the visa and then sell the house, and then we will be off, we have about £50k to take with us from the sale of the house, but you will be fine, i suppose it is going into the unknown, but as you say many people have done it and i am sure that many more will follow

good luck

kirstie x
Old Jul 16th 2007, 9:36 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

I can understand your dilema. Even with an offer on our house it took 10 months to complete! Have you thought of a sealed bid or auction sale instead?
We are going to NZ without a job offer and it's freaking hubby out because he's had a job with the same company for 28 yrs! He's now handed in his notice and booked our flights to NZ! We hope that we'll find work when we arrive. Like you we have enough put by to last till we find work. There is an element of risk in emmigrating but just go for it and put the waiting time for a job down in diary as a mini sabatical!

I just tried to give you some house selling karma but it says I have to spread it around!

Last edited by helinuk; Jul 16th 2007 at 9:38 am. Reason: reason for not giving karma
Old Jul 16th 2007, 10:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Frenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud ofFrenchy has much to be proud of

Hello Kate,
Well don't know if you remember but my house took from June to November to sell. You have years ahead of you in NZ perhaps I am a bit cautious but I would be tempted to sell first. You kids are young thus there isnt an urgency to get them here. We were getting desperate so I know how you feel!!! The job hunt is easier once you are here its a tough decision eh Kate!!! hey at least we got PR and beat those medical bods eh!!!!
Old Jul 16th 2007, 11:11 am
Forum Regular

scharlonie will become famous soon enoughscharlonie will become famous soon enough

aww bless - no i didnt think you thought i was blah blah blah
i worried others might!
yes i can see all the figures make sense. guess we/he's worried about the gamble.
house has been on the market now for 8 weeks - 6 weeks with an agent who was ruddy awful, and 2 with a new agent. market is so slow, have dropped the price 8k already and prepared to go another 5k - but thats my limit.
beer sounds great!!!! hahaha - especially with the summer holidays coming up and two toddlers running around wild.
dp and i are kinda talking about it now but not making much progress.
Hi Dreamfish.
We are in the same predicament. Got some savings but not sure about selling or renting. Thought about selling the house, leaving the money in the UK lewtting it gain some interest and then move it over when the exchange rate increases. However, there lies a problem with renting out in NZ, especially with the price of renting and the wages., so we thought of renting here and using the rent we get from the house here to pay for the rent in NZ, but if we dont get tenants we cant afford to rent.
Decisions decisions. We want to get out there in time for the kids to start school in Feb so the house is going to go on the market to sell and if it doesn't we'll try to rent it.
Fingers crossed we get jobs when we get out there.
Sharon
Old Jul 16th 2007, 11:16 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scharlonie
Hi Dreamfish.
We are in the same predicament. Got some savings but not sure about selling or renting. Thought about selling the house, leaving the money in the UK lewtting it gain some interest and then move it over when the exchange rate increases. However, there lies a problem with renting out in NZ, especially with the price of renting and the wages., so we thought of renting here and using the rent we get from the house here to pay for the rent in NZ, but if we dont get tenants we cant afford to rent.
Decisions decisions. We want to get out there in time for the kids to start school in Feb so the house is going to go on the market to sell and if it doesn't we'll try to rent it.
Fingers crossed we get jobs when we get out there.
Sharon

When comparing buying to renting, I would go for renting, certainly to begin with. It is actually so much cheaper. We rent a 4bed 2bath house for $350 a week. The house next door is for sale at the moment. It's a 3 bed version of ours & is on the market for $399,000 which would work out at roughly $2200 per month in mortgage at today's rate.

Included in our rent is any rates & water charges. We only pay for power & phone/internet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.