Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

just beginning.....

just beginning.....

Old Mar 28th 2012, 10:47 pm
Just Joined

oldbull is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: just beginning.....

i will be honest ans say that the oh is taking the reigns on the paperwork side, i am self employed and jo works for me so i am at work most day (weekends included) along with doing our house up to sell. what i know about my trade in nz is mostly what the agency have told me and what i have learned from the emigration shows and books,
for example the gas, the nz gov took the british legislation and made it there own, there is more call for lpg in nz though there is natural gas,
my qualifications are recognised in nz so the assessment process is simplified,
i believe there is less call for centeral heating, but a lot of solid fuel, i need to check the regs on nz solid fuel, i also am led to believe that there is very little use of renewable energies, ie solar panels, though some work on ground source has been tried.
I need a job offer to boost my points, though i have enough without but the visa we are going for requires a job offer.
the agency have a job search/site of there own and all the testimonials read well (we have to trust someone) with the rebuild of chch starting in the near future there will be a call for all trades, i have already seen adverts mentioning this. we are using the emigration group who according to there adverts are the only ones who are registeed in nz and the uk and have to abide by the nz rules,
as for exactly how the trades work in nz, i joined this site for this reason....so how dose it work in nz ha ha,
i hope i havent bent your ear to much and i hope i dont sound like a fool,
regards Chris
Old Mar 28th 2012, 10:58 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

No such thing as a fool on here mate. We've all been there . Clueless and hopeful .

I do think it's a good idea for anyone to know something of how the blummin' emigration malarky works. It's a bit like walking through a maze . If you have the map of the maze it's easy to see which way to go for the best & make the right decisions. If you are in the maze blindfolded , being led by someone else it can mean bother.

Have you read my previous posts to those coming out on the plumbing/gas trade?

I'm happy to chat about this but don't want to tell you stuff you already know.

Incidentally, it's fine to use an agent if that's what you feel is needed. People do . They post to here and also use the agent. It;s whatever makes it OK for you.
Old Mar 28th 2012, 11:16 pm
Just Joined

i will start reading your posts, am i on the right tracks?

can you remember the names of the threads you wrote? u have a lot ha ha

i found them cheers C

Last edited by BEVS; Mar 28th 2012 at 11:40 pm.
Old Mar 29th 2012, 12:09 am
`

Originally Posted by oldbull
i will be honest ans say that the oh is taking the reigns on the paperwork side, i am self employed and jo works for me so i am at work most day (weekends included) along with doing our house up to sell. what i know about my trade in nz is mostly what the agency have told me and what i have learned from the emigration shows and books,
Fairy fluff

for example the gas, the nz gov took the british legislation and made it their own,
Don't go saying that anywhere else if you want to live a long & happy life in NZ

there is more call for lpg in nz though there is natural gas,
Correct

my qualifications are recognised in nz so the assessment process is simplified,
Read my previous posts on this subject. Your quals may match the NZ standard. They will not be fully recognised.

i believe there is less call for central heating,
Correct.

but a lot of solid fuel, i need to check the regs on nz solid fuel,
Only bother with that if you ever end up fitting wood burners. TBH it's irrelevant to your application.
i also am led to believe that there is very little use of renewable energies, ie solar panels, though some work on ground source has been tried.
It is out here but there isn't much call. Not as you would have experienced in the UK.

I need a job offer to boost my points,
Yup. You probably do as most of the EOI applications pulled from the pool are with job offers.

though i have enough without ,but the visa we are going for requires a job offer.
Which visa is that?

If it's the points based system then that is for the Skilled Migrant.
The more points the better and an application with a job offer is almost guaranteed to be selected as a possible. Thing is though that plumbers and gasfitters are not in shortage here, so an NZ employer offering you a job must prove that there is no NZ plumber or gasfitter that could take up that job.

Unless the agent is talking about a work to residence visa in which case the agent is looking at what is called accredited employers who would be free to offer you a job. It is not points based. You would need to make sure that work is paid $55K pa and no less. You would get a work to residence visa for 2 years. That's a form of temporary visa .

the agency have a job search/site of there own and all the testimonials read well (we have to trust someone)
OK. But there is nothing to stop you actively seeking a job offer yourself.

with the rebuild of chch starting in the near future there will be a call for all trades, i have already seen adverts mentioning this.
UUmm..... There may be a call for trade workers in the future. Not so sure about the near future TBH.
If the call for trade workers exceeds those available for this work within NZ , then the trade will appear on the NZ immigration shortage list. The next update for the Canterbury list is probably June time.

we are using the emigration group who according to there adverts are the only ones who are registeed in nz and the uk and have to abide by the nz rules,
No. They are not the only ones by far. There are loads out there.Shop around and get the best deal from a registered agent. Link HERE There are good ones. Indifferent ones and bad ones. An NZ dedicated one is best IMO & one that comes recommended by someone who has used that agent.
Old Mar 29th 2012, 9:05 am
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

Might be worth looking at this?

http://idealog.co.nz/blog/2012/02/ne...-its-way-cante
Old Mar 30th 2012, 6:30 am
Just Joined

Hi Bevs,
its nice to see i am on the right tracks, with regards to the emigration group i meant M.A.R.A registered with uk offices, hence the trust
when we researched these people all the forums and writeups were excellent so we went with them,
thanks for all the advice, its gr8 to speak to someone with your experience.
thanks for the link chippy64, interesting read
regards C
Old Mar 30th 2012, 8:55 am
`

MARA isn't relevant to New Zealand. at all. It is only relevant to Australia. You would be better with an NZ based immigration consultant.

So. How are you with the trade assessment & registrations? Tell me what you know. You didn't seem to quite understand what is needed at all.

Good link Chippy. Actually really great link as many of the small firms around the South Island fit bits of solar here and there, but of no use to this person under the circumstances. Anymore than fitting wood burners.

So. What visa are you going for as you don't have any form of job offer.

Tell me what you have now understood of the process via this trade as that is very different to what you have posted..
Old Mar 30th 2012, 2:38 pm
Just Joined

Smile Re: just beginning.....

Hi Bev,

Jo here (Chris's wife).My original research was based on either Oz or NZ so i chose an adviser that could cope with either application. If we had chosen Oz MARA would have been appropriate, as we have chosen NZ it is a member of IAA.

Jo
Old Apr 1st 2012, 11:04 pm
`

Hi there Jo & welcome to this wee NZ forum from another plumber/gasfitter's wife. It was me that did all the paperwork when we were emigrating. Mr BEVS did long hours and like yourselves were self-employed. We fitted solar , sun pipes & the like along with all the usual plumbing & gas-fitting work.

my qualifications are recognised in nz so the assessment process is simplified
I'm not sure what you both understand about 'the assessment process' given the above. Are you aware of the requirements by New Zealand immigration with regard to this trade & how this impacts not only on any application you make but also on what is further needed with regard to the trade, if you are accepted & arrive in NZ.

for example the gas, the nz gov took the british legislation and made it their own
I'm intrigued and dead nosey as to where you both got this notion? Spill
Old Apr 4th 2012, 2:26 am
`

Um Seem to have lost the OP . Shame given what I know of coming to NZ as a plumber/gasfitter.
Old Apr 7th 2012, 3:36 pm
Just Joined

Hi Bev,

Filling in Chris's New Zealand Skills Assessment and when i put in the name of his college of study which is welsh the software keeps throwing up error messages so that the qualification does not save . Have you ever come across this before.

Jo