Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Just been to the UK for 5 weeks.......

Just been to the UK for 5 weeks.......

Old Aug 21st 2007, 11:10 am
Just Joined

Bint has a spectacular aura aboutBint has a spectacular aura aboutBint has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Just been to the UK for 5 weeks.......

I lived in Burlington, Canada (between Toronto n Niagara Falls) from 1990-1992 and it is, like New Zealand a beautiful place. People are right that it does get extremes with the weather. That said after a while your blood "thins" and you don't feel the cold like the UK as there is much less humidity. The big problem is there are only really 2 seasons. Snow falls in mid Dec and at times lots of it and doesn't sometimes go until April/May!! They do know how to deal with it there though not like the UK! A lot of people get the "February Blues" and people can be very insular but once you get to know them they are very friendly. The summers are lovely and hot but very humid (you sweat just standing still!). I have been told that January in Auckland is also very humid but that's for only one month.
My wife and I came to NZ (North n South island) for 5 weeks last Nov/Dec and loved it. I had a job interview lined up, got offered job on the spot, and we've been here only 6 weeks so are still adjusting. It's too early for me to give you an well informed opinion but I think I can safely say that, taking comments from others as well :-

1/ The pace of life in NZ is more relaxed than Canada was 15 years ago so god knows what Canada is like now. As such people have more time so are much friendlier. To be honest, when we first came out last year it was initially unnerving as strangers just struck up conversations with us. Unfortunately when they do that in the UK you automatically go on your guard, preparing yourself for what they might be after!!
2/ On the whole wages here are lower (guesstimate by 1/3rd) Relative cost of living overall compared to UK is only slightly lower - This is because there is so much more competition in the UK due to population. 4 million v 72 million (estimated)
3/ House prices vary like the UK but if you can come Mortgage free or have a small mortgage life will be much easier as mortgage rates here are are 9%+!! YOU DO NOT NEED RESIDENCY TO BUY A HOUSE.
4/ You can buy a house here much quicker than the UK, far less hassle. Be careful of build quality as a lot of homes suffer from condensation/mould issues (NZ has one of the highest Asthma rates amongst developed nations - don't let this put you off). On the whole you cannot go wrong with Brick and Tile but ALWAYS seek good advice.
5/ On the whole
- Fruit and veg taste much better, though we having problem finding good tasting potatoes? (advice gladly received, maybe soil quality?) Kumara (sweet potato) is good tho.
- Meat/cheese is same from Supermarkets but we have found superior quality from a really good local Butcher ( had Roast Beef other day which was absolutely fantastic, best ever possibly!!)
- You will miss other things from the UK, like good choice of strong tea and Real Ales (tho Speights Distinction is excellent taste/quality!!)
6/ Weather here will be far better than Canada, on the whole South Island is cooler and the North warmer with it being temperate in AKL and sub tropical
in the far North.
7/ Be prepared for rush hour traffic in and around Auckland. It gets very busy but traffic flows quite well and major improvements are in place though some are years away.
8/ With NZ being narrow we are on the whole relatively much closer to the beaches! In Auckland 15-50 away (good traffic conditions)
9/ Pubs are not the same as the UK and there are nowhere near as many!!
10/ Can't think of anymore as I am knackered and need to get to bed, work tomorrow

Although long winded but not comprehensive and some may disagree, I hope this is of help,

Best of Luck

Neil (n Barbara)
Old Aug 21st 2007, 12:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ash1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond reputeAsh1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bint
I lived in Burlington, Canada (between Toronto n Niagara Falls) from 1990-1992 and it is, like New Zealand a beautiful place. People are right that it does get extremes with the weather. That said after a while your blood "thins" and you don't feel the cold like the UK as there is much less humidity. The big problem is there are only really 2 seasons. Snow falls in mid Dec and at times lots of it and doesn't sometimes go until April/May!! They do know how to deal with it there though not like the UK! A lot of people get the "February Blues" and people can be very insular but once you get to know them they are very friendly. The summers are lovely and hot but very humid (you sweat just standing still!). I have been told that January in Auckland is also very humid but that's for only one month.
My wife and I came to NZ (North n South island) for 5 weeks last Nov/Dec and loved it. I had a job interview lined up, got offered job on the spot, and we've been here only 6 weeks so are still adjusting. It's too early for me to give you an well informed opinion but I think I can safely say that, taking comments from others as well :-

1/ The pace of life in NZ is more relaxed than Canada was 15 years ago so god knows what Canada is like now. As such people have more time so are much friendlier. To be honest, when we first came out last year it was initially unnerving as strangers just struck up conversations with us. Unfortunately when they do that in the UK you automatically go on your guard, preparing yourself for what they might be after!!
2/ On the whole wages here are lower (guesstimate by 1/3rd) Relative cost of living overall compared to UK is only slightly lower - This is because there is so much more competition in the UK due to population. 4 million v 72 million (estimated)
3/ House prices vary like the UK but if you can come Mortgage free or have a small mortgage life will be much easier as mortgage rates here are are 9%+!! YOU DO NOT NEED RESIDENCY TO BUY A HOUSE.
4/ You can buy a house here much quicker than the UK, far less hassle. Be careful of build quality as a lot of homes suffer from condensation/mould issues (NZ has one of the highest Asthma rates amongst developed nations - don't let this put you off). On the whole you cannot go wrong with Brick and Tile but ALWAYS seek good advice.
5/ On the whole
- Fruit and veg taste much better, though we having problem finding good tasting potatoes? (advice gladly received, maybe soil quality?) Kumara (sweet potato) is good tho.
- Meat/cheese is same from Supermarkets but we have found superior quality from a really good local Butcher ( had Roast Beef other day which was absolutely fantastic, best ever possibly!!)
- You will miss other things from the UK, like good choice of strong tea and Real Ales (tho Speights Distinction is excellent taste/quality!!)
6/ Weather here will be far better than Canada, on the whole South Island is cooler and the North warmer with it being temperate in AKL and sub tropical
in the far North.
7/ Be prepared for rush hour traffic in and around Auckland. It gets very busy but traffic flows quite well and major improvements are in place though some are years away.
8/ With NZ being narrow we are on the whole relatively much closer to the beaches! In Auckland 15-50 away (good traffic conditions)
9/ Pubs are not the same as the UK and there are nowhere near as many!!
10/ Can't think of anymore as I am knackered and need to get to bed, work tomorrow

Although long winded but not comprehensive and some may disagree, I hope this is of help,

Best of Luck

Neil (n Barbara)

Wow, best reply ever. Wow. Respect.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 10:36 am
BE Enthusiast

rajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond reputerajj has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FishermansFriend
English is now becoming a minority language in many UK town and city centres.
Especially in nationalistic North Wales
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 11:39 am
BE Forum Addict

SarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond reputeSarahB has a reputation beyond repute

Very good reply Bint, thanks... I enjoyed reading it and agree with so many things.