Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The highs and lows

The highs and lows

Old Aug 22nd 2007, 9:41 pm
Banned

mingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud of
Default The highs and lows

I know there was another thread along similar lines but can't find it.

what have been the highs and lows for migrants?

For me, the best has been the outdoors and kiwi's - Love em. The worst, small job market.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 10:15 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The highs and lows

The highs: Owning own home here the size and kind of which we would never have had in the UK, the easy access to outdoor life, the laid back lifestyle and openess and friendliness of the people. The kids school and that they were accepted so easily and are loving it. The freedom - personal and of speech, the space, the feeling of not being bound by EC directives, tax on everything, and working hard but never getting anywhere in life. Getting PR and officially being able to call ourselves NZers. My OH and son having the time and space to build all sorts of furniture out of wood - they'd never have done that in UK! Oh and bombing around getting muddy and stuck in our 4x4.

The lows: running out of what little uk money we did have and seeing money pour out of the account knowing we have no back-up here! We've adjusted the cloth accordingly. Now down to a smallish sized hanky

I don't miss the UK though. I don't miss the 'familiar surroundings' or the life we had. We're going through a rough patch right now but it's only to be expected really, having upped sticks and moved 12,000 miles and having to fund starting all over again. But it was the right thing to do and it still feels right. I don't see the point in looking back; I might miss seeing the fantastic day I could be having here if I spent my time with my head in the past.

It's certainly a challenge, but each day there's something to smile about, and one day soon we'll be back on track money wise and not have to worry so much. We have all we need really so I don't regret our choices at all.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 10:31 pm
Banned

mingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud ofmingusdynasty has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo
The highs: Owning own home here the size and kind of which we would never have had in the UK, the easy access to outdoor life, the laid back lifestyle and openess and friendliness of the people. The kids school and that they were accepted so easily and are loving it. The freedom - personal and of speech, the space, the feeling of not being bound by EC directives, tax on everything, and working hard but never getting anywhere in life. Getting PR and officially being able to call ourselves NZers. My OH and son having the time and space to build all sorts of furniture out of wood - they'd never have done that in UK! Oh and bombing around getting muddy and stuck in our 4x4.

The lows: running out of what little uk money we did have and seeing money pour out of the account knowing we have no back-up here! We've adjusted the cloth accordingly. Now down to a smallish sized hanky

I don't miss the UK though. I don't miss the 'familiar surroundings' or the life we had. We're going through a rough patch right now but it's only to be expected really, having upped sticks and moved 12,000 miles and having to fund starting all over again. But it was the right thing to do and it still feels right. I don't see the point in looking back; I might miss seeing the fantastic day I could be having here if I spent my time with my head in the past.

It's certainly a challenge, but each day there's something to smile about, and one day soon we'll be back on track money wise and not have to worry so much. We have all we need really so I don't regret our choices at all.
Absolutely, the best thing any migrant can do imho is throw themselves into NZ culture. Forget the old country: It's finished! It's like a bloated has been singer.

For me that means no more football. I started watching more rugby.Love it! NPC/Super 14/Ab's.
Pubs. Ok, no pub culture. I got used to it. I don't drink anymore. Not a bar person.
Humor. Different. Again, other pluses out weigh the bad. Like the Kiwi get up and go.
Outdoors. Endless opportunities. Fishing, hunting, surfing, mountain climbing, mountain biking, tramping, skiing...
BBQ. Odd one. Had more bbq's in cold, wet England. Don't miss em that much.
Newspapers. less hard news here so to be expected.
TV. Sucks. But I have got Sky for sport, dvd's for tv.
Houses. Cold, wet and damp. Get hard!!!! Or buy central heating.
Crime. Almost non existant for most things.
Hospitals. Same problems as UK, overcrowding, lack of beds etc. On the whole better.
Weather. Much better.
Cops. Get hammered by the media but I think they do a great job. In fact im thinking about applying.
Work. Still getting used to the kiwi work ethic. It's more of a live to work culture here.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 11:53 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Where I'm from:

US news media -- well -groomed paranoia peddlers on the TV. Hugely popular right-wing nut talk show hosts suck. The newspapers are there for adverts.

NZ news media -- a tad amateurish but alright with me. The newspapers are a bit over the top here. NZ Herald is one of the worst offenders.

US sport -- effing hate American football, especially gridiron announcers. Baseball's okay, ice hockey's too Canadian () and basketball does nothing for me. I hate NASCAR.

NZ sport -- I dig rugby, both union and league. Cricket is a grand way to while away the time on a summer's day. Netball can be entertaining. I hate motor sports.

US food -- Anything and everything available, no worries.

NZ food -- mostly anything and everything available, no worries.

US consumer goods -- anything you want and generally decent quality. Electronics are really good value.

NZ consumer goods -- too much second grade Chinese import crapola. Quality is hard to come by on a Kiwi wage.

One more...

US beer --

NZ beer --
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 11:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by happynz
NZ news media -- a tad amateurish but alright with me. The newspapers are a bit over the top here. NZ Herald is one of the worst offenders.
Oh, absolutely - the Herald is a tabloid dressed up as a broadsheet. I dislike the sensationalism that goes on in that paper....
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 11:36 am
BE Enthusiast

littleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by happynz
One more...

US beer --

NZ beer --
So that's why you're so settled there!
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 12:12 pm
patience...is a virtue!!!

reecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant futurereecefam has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by mingusdynasty
Absolutely, the best thing any migrant can do imho is throw themselves into NZ culture. Forget the old country: It's finished! It's like a bloated has been singer.

For me that means no more football. I started watching more rugby.Love it! NPC/Super 14/Ab's.
Pubs. Ok, no pub culture. I got used to it. I don't drink anymore. Not a bar person.
Humor. Different. Again, other pluses out weigh the bad. Like the Kiwi get up and go.
Outdoors. Endless opportunities. Fishing, hunting, surfing, mountain climbing, mountain biking, tramping, skiing...
BBQ. Odd one. Had more bbq's in cold, wet England. Don't miss em that much.
Newspapers. less hard news here so to be expected.
TV. Sucks. But I have got Sky for sport, dvd's for tv.
Houses. Cold, wet and damp. Get hard!!!! Or buy central heating.
Crime. Almost non existant for most things.
Hospitals. Same problems as UK, overcrowding, lack of beds etc. On the whole better.
Weather. Much better.
Cops. Get hammered by the media but I think they do a great job. In fact im thinking about applying.
Work. Still getting used to the kiwi work ethic. It's more of a live to work culture here.
I thought NZ was laid back and more relaxed, so why is there a "live to work" ethic.
That is one reason why we have been looking at moving over to NZ, to get a better workl/life balance...will i not get this in NZ???
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 5:49 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by reecefam
I thought NZ was laid back and more relaxed, so why is there a "live to work" ethic.
That is one reason why we have been looking at moving over to NZ, to get a better work/life balance...will i not get this in NZ???
I haven't really noticed that. But that's just me. Perhaps workaholism is rife here and I hadn't been paying attention, what with getting on with my own life. The 'work to live' ethic here is nowhere near the manic work obsession of say, the Silicon Valley in California.
Old Aug 23rd 2007, 7:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by reecefam
That is one reason why we have been looking at moving over to NZ, to get a better workl/life balance...will i not get this in NZ???
You will find it here i'm sure.....

My OH is very very happy with her new job her having left a high pressure job in the UK as a Partner of one of the large IT consultancy firms. She has taken up a similar role here but says its so much more relaxed here and the long long days that are now just 'expected' if you work in the city (london) just don't seem to happen here. Not saying theres the odd day that a job has to be finished but genenerally its a much more relaxed mind set than the UK.