British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Jumping the ditch (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/jumping-ditch-761709/)

bourbon-biscuit Jun 20th 2012 9:11 pm

Re: Jumping the ditch

Originally Posted by ellenarosemary (Post 10119260)
Ironically thats where we are moving to (Tokoroa), not our first choice, but it gets us in. My husband has a job to go to and well paid too (more than he gets here), so would be interested in your thoughts on the place, apart from it being 'rural' and with good and bad parts of town.

Plus side: cheap housing, central location

Minus side: it's a small, poor town miles from anywhere with all the usual social problems and few of the charms

Fine for a foot in the door perhaps.

lardyl Jun 21st 2012 10:24 am

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit (Post 10129911)
Plus side: cheap housing, central location

Minus side: it's a small, poor town miles from anywhere with all the usual social problems and few of the charms

Fine for a foot in the door perhaps.

you could say that is analogous to NZ as "a foot in the door" to OZ......although NZ has some nice scenery :p

bourbon-biscuit Jun 21st 2012 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by lardyl (Post 10130813)
you could say that is analogous to NZ as "a foot in the door" to OZ......although NZ has some nice scenery :p

I think "central location" to describe NZ might be stretching the truth somewhat ... :rofl:

lardyl Jun 21st 2012 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit (Post 10131735)
I think "central location" to describe NZ might be stretching the truth somewhat ... :rofl:

LOL :thumbsup:

Expat Kiwi Jun 22nd 2012 12:23 pm

Originally Posted by mike_fornz (Post 10118613)
Every time I look at the NZ press there are stories of Kiwis and emigrants heading to OZ for a better life, more money etc

Of the dozen or so Brits I know in NZ, all but a couple are counting down the days before they get hold of their NZ passports and book that one way flight to the lucky country.

I wonder how many on this forum are considering the same?

Could this ever increasing move away accelerate the inevitable joining of OZ and NZ where NZ would become the 7th state of the Commonwealth of Australia.

The 7th state thing ain't never going to happen. Australia already has one Tasmania it doesn't need another :D

I can tell you why we left if you like?

Money didn't come into it.

We came to Oz for a better working environment, top notch career prospects, better lifestyle, the fantastic climate (25 here at one point this afternoon) more things to do in our leisure time, higher standard of housing, the more modern infrastructure, better educational opportunities for the children (secondary and tertiary) better job ops for the children when they grow up, a desire to be in a culture where one is valued for what one does/knows rather than who one knows, the more positive upbeat attitude over here where people want you to want to succeed.

It's only called the lucky country because people work hard to make it so. I'm now an Australian citizen and am proud to have an Australian passport and the little plastic wallet that came with it :)

Sure, the money is good and it has enabled us to do things that were just out of our grasp in New Zealand, but that's a bonus.

waikatoguy Jun 22nd 2012 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi (Post 10132824)
It's only called the lucky country because people work hard to make it so. I'm now an Australian citizen and am proud to have an Australian passport and the little plastic wallet that came with it :)

So, why feel the need to come on the British Expat Forum (NZ section) and tell everyone how great Oz is, seeing as how you seem to have nothing positive to say, apart from NZ may be alright for 'battlers', and similar to Tasmania (with a smiley). Why not get on the British Expat Forum (Oz section) and say how much you like Australia, seeing as how you class yourself as Australian. That would be a much more positive thing, I would have thought.
NZ has a lot going for it (in my opinion). I am biased, I must admit. But I can't think of one thing I'd like to do in Queensland with my leisure that I can't do around where I live here in NZ. And most of the things you mention are a matter of personal opinion, of course (eg climate - some like constant mid 30's temps in summer, some don't ... some like negative temps in winter, some don't). I made my way through my career without any personal contacts (or who-you-knows) whatsoever. I know some immigrants say that about NZ (the who-you-know thing). But at the same time, I've heard the same from kiwis who have come back from Oz about getting jobs in Australia and said they found it difficult to break in. Personally I think it happens everywhere. NZ works hard too! Look how far NZ has come in 170 short years or so. A great British pioneering and indigenous Maori co-achievement. Some (like myself) consider NZ just as lucky! (I'm feeling some sort of post about the number of NZers in Oz coming on soon ... haha). If you read various Oz forums, there are as many moaners there about economic matters, education and such as anywhere else in the world.
Your comment about 'it's only called the lucky country because people work hard to make it so' is rather patronising, in my opinion. What you're insinuating there is that people in NZ, UK and other countries don't work hard. Ridiculous. Other countries don't have the same abundance of natural resources. I think that might have something to do with the moniker. Lol.

Expat Kiwi Jun 22nd 2012 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by waikatoguy (Post 10133841)
So, why feel the need to come on the British Expat Forum (NZ section)

Because the thread is about why so many people move from New Zealand to Australia. I think I have the qualies to answer it.

NZ has a lot going for it (in my opinion). I am biased, I must admit. But I can't think of one thing I'd like to do in Queensland with my leisure that I can't do around where I live here in NZ.
Well you'd have to live here to know that for sure. Having a good year round-climate can broaden your range of activities and interests, especially if you have children who like to get out and do things.

This appeared in the GC Bulletin this week, this is why people move here from New Zealand.

http://www.goldcoast.com.au/images/u...COAST-HOME.jpg

Coast now home to 40,000 Kiwis

THIS family of four are part of more than 43,000 New Zealanders who now call the Gold Coast home.

According to 2011 Census data released yesterday, more Kiwis than ever are relocating to the Coast in favour of surf, sun and sand.

The Robertson family of Hope Island are no different.

Kerry Robertson moved with his wife Rhian and their two teenage daughters Mikayla and Summer five years ago with the dream of starting a Christian Church at Coomera. They achieved their goal and have no plans of returning to Auckland.

"One thing we love about the Gold Coast is that you get to work and play," Mr Robertson said.

"A lot of other cities are all about work, work and more work but this city definitely has a work play environment.

"The Gold Coast is a great family place, it has theme parks and beautiful beaches.

"It also has a wonderful climate."

More than 507,000 people called the Gold Coast home in 2011, almost 150,000 more than when the last Census was taken in 2006.

Of those living here, 332,088 are Australians followed by New Zealanders who account for eight and a half per cent of the cities population equalling 43,265 Kiwis.

The Coast also scored favourably with the English who account for more than 28,000 of the cities 507, 642 people living here.

The figures relate to the Gold Coast statistical area which encompasses suburbs as far north as Beenleigh and south past Tweed Heads.

Queensland was also the fastest growing state in Australia with an increase of 11 per cent, up from 428,209 in 2006 to 4,332,739.

Which belies the myth that people move here because of the mining boom. BTW Coomera and Upper Coomera are very popular with Kiwis and are nowhere near the 'glitter strip'

Coomera is a suburb on the Gold Coast in Queensland, Australia. At the 2006 Census, Coomera had a population of 1,420. The name Coomera comes from the Aboriginal word for fern.[2]

Coomera has long been earmarked as a new satellite growth suburb, similar in many ways to Robina. With Australia's biggest and most popular theme park, Dreamworld, and plans for a TAFE, a university campus and Queensland's biggest shopping centre around the existing station, Coomera has been predicted to grow considerably beyond its present size.

Located next to the Pacific Motorway, Coomera is close to Pimpama, Hope Island, Willow Vale, Wongawallan, Oxenford, and east of Upper Coomera.

Coomera has seen significant residential development including Coomera Waters which is a masterplanned community encompassing a 2,500 lot harbour, canal and dry land estate over 375 hectares of land located on the northern side of the north arm of the Coomera River, directly opposite Sanctuary Cove on Hope Island.

Other residential developments currently under construction include Beacon Heights, Big Sky, Coomera Downs, Coomera Parklands Stage II, Coomera Waters, Genesis, Lily Rise and Nautical Edge. [3]

Current real estate developments under construction or in the pipeline for the Coomera district at the beginning of 2011 have increased year on year by $400 million to total $5.9 Billion

Education

Coomera Anglican College is a school founded in 1997 that is operated by the Anglican Diocese of Brisbane. It consists of a secondary school (years 7 to 12), primary school (years prep to 6), and child care on the same campus.[5] The school is located on Days road Upper Coomera, Queensland, and has undertaken a huge expansion programme over the last few years with the latested being a 2,500 m² sports centre, which will include two full size netball courts as well as a full commercial gym operated by Coomera Focus on Fitness and available for use by the local community. The current principal is Dr Mark D Sly.

Coomera State Primary School was established in 1873, and currently has around 740 students. The school have run the Australian Primary Schools Film Festival since 2001

waikatoguy Jun 22nd 2012 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi (Post 10133924)
Coast now home to 40,000 Kiwis

40,000 kiwis live on the GC. Over 4 million live in NZ. Majority rules. :D
PS yesterday was the shortest day of the year - mid winter. It's about 16 degrees here at the mo and the sun is shining. :) Life is great!!! (in the main. lol.)

Expat Kiwi Jun 23rd 2012 8:16 am

Originally Posted by calliope (Post 10119963)
That's not true really. The mining sector is only 19% of the Aus economy. As for statehood - it was proposed once upon a time but it's hard to see what Aus would get out of it.

Right on both counts.

For those who are interested in these things the 2011 census showed almost half a million people born in New Zealand now live in Australia, that's more than the entire population of Christchurch in the last NZ census in 2006.

(I don't know if the Australian 2011 census gives a figure for the number of non-NZ born NZ passport holders who live here (eg. Brits who've used a NZ passport to get into Australia) or the number who've emigrated to Australia without first gaining NZ citizenship)

Out of that half a million the greatest number (98,000) live in Queensland, that's more than the population of Palmerston North.

http://home.nzcity.co.nz/news/articl...=newsmain,nrhl

A Kiwi living in Australia's not surprised by the huge number of New Zealanders and Maori moving across the ditch.

Latest census figures show 483,000 New Zealanders now call Australia home - 130,000 of them are Maori.

By far the biggest numbers have moved to Queensland - with 98,000 New Zealanders there.

KiwisinOz.com.au managing director Ramesh Naran says that number is large, but he's confident it'll get even bigger in years to come.

He says New Zealanders are still attracted by the lifestyle and stronger economy, although many are now trying to secure jobs before they move across.

waikatoguy Jun 23rd 2012 9:13 am

You may be interested in this other snippet from that person you quoted from kiwisinoz.com.au ExpatKiwi.

"We love NZ, there is no question! Many of us would love to move back home to enjoy the things that simply can’t be experienced in Australia. The easy pace of life, the friendliness of Kiwis, the food & wine, the “green grass of NZ”, and the no nuclear stance are just some of the beauties of NZ that can’t be found anywhere else in the world."

The point is, there are many different perspectives. Australians also travel. There are 1 million Australians who don't live in Australia, for example. And Australia has it's own famous brain drain http://www.smh.com.au/technology/tec...517-1ytoo.html coincidentally an article which mentions some of the same things wrong with Oz, EK was talking about was wrong with NZ (eg employees not being valued, tall poppy syndrome), which made me laugh.

For many people the grass is greener in Oz, for others not so. There was one guy in the Waikato times today who worked in the mines in WA. He said, the money was great, but his life was crap. Having to work 12 hours a day, living in poor conditions etc. It's true, not all kiwis work in the mines, in fact it's probably a minority. But that guy is now back in Hamilton. And because someone lives in Oz doesn't necessarily mean they are any less fond of NZ (unlike yourself by the sounds of it), as the passage above indicates. Just as many Brits here are any less fond of Britain.

One things for sure, if you think NZ is less 'modern' than Oz and that Oz has better housing, and more job prospects (ie mining - which to a large degree has fueled Oz's recent economic boom, and it is also important for NZ that Oz be booming economically), how did you manage to vote Green (if I remember rightly) at the last NZ general election? Thus, despite being an Australian citizen with no thoughts of ever returning here, lumbering us still living here with a party, if they got into a power, that would like us all to be living in recylcled rubber tyre houses, with plots of cannabis and the banning of mining. Plus driving away 'brainy' people, because we'll all be on the same wage, and 'brainy' people will have to move elsewhere to get proper recognition (monetary wise) for their talents. Lol. :D Also something you complain about wrong with NZ. That would end up making NZ everything BUT modern and thriving.

Expat Kiwi Jun 23rd 2012 11:59 am

Originally Posted by waikatoguy (Post 10111857)
As it happens, I think Australia is a great country. As long as you go where you think you'll be happiest. That's the main thing.

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...7#post10111857

I wholeheartedly agree with you! :thumbsup:. (we can agree on some things Waikato ;))

Being where we're happiest with the people who are important to us is fundamental for wellbeing. Voting with with feet and conscience aren't always easy options, but people have to do what they know is best.

The OP asked for reasons why people are jumping the ditch, I've given mine. From my experience those reasons are similar to about half a million other people's.

p.s. there are no mines in Coomera.

sparkytoad Jun 23rd 2012 7:09 pm

Things to do in Queensland that you can't in NZ, hmm, go for a swim get chased by a shark, manage to scramble to the bank escaping the shark only to be eaten by a crocodile.

bourbon-biscuit Jun 23rd 2012 8:56 pm

Why does it have to turn into a silly bun fight over which is better? Some people like blue cheese and some like Colby. I suspect more people buy and like Colby but that doesn't mean there's something inherently wrong with blue cheese.

I think that folk who will prefer Australia generally prefer a more urban lifestyle. Folk who get on well with NZ appreciate its more rural flavour (and I include the 'cities' in that) or at least the ability to access the Great Outdoors even while living in a city. That rural flavour includes a lower population density because although Australia's is no doubt lower on paper, when it comes to where people live the population density is generally higher (which is a good thing if you want that buzz).

I wish NZ and Australia were a little closer geographically because I love them both for different reasons. For now I prefer to live in NZ and holiday in Oz, but I suspect that will reverse at some point but there's no denying there are quintessential NZ lifestyle factors that you can't get in Australia, despite Australia having the lure of hotter weather, higher wages and all the goodies of an urban lifestyle.

Bo-Jangles Jun 24th 2012 4:04 am

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit (Post 10135213)
Some people like blue cheese and some like Colby. I suspect more people buy and like Colby but that doesn't mean there's something inherently wrong with blue cheese.

I expect its more a case of people putting up with Colby because that's what they know and can afford. I can't think of any other reason why anyone would choose Colby. :rofl:

chippy64 Jun 24th 2012 4:37 am

My Aunt lives in Adelaide - year before last was so hot (40c+), that she moved her mattress into her lounge (only room with air-con) and didn't open her curtains for six weeks! :D Some people love that sort of weather but that was one of the reasons we didn't want to move to Oz.
One man's heaven......:thumbsup: