Jumping the ditch

Old Jun 14th 2012, 11:14 am
Banned

mike_fornz is just really nicemike_fornz is just really nicemike_fornz is just really nicemike_fornz is just really nicemike_fornz is just really nicemike_fornz is just really nicemike_fornz is just really nicemike_fornz is just really nice
Default Jumping the ditch

Every time I look at the NZ press there are stories of Kiwis and emigrants heading to OZ for a better life, more money etc

Of the dozen or so Brits I know in NZ, all but a couple are counting down the days before they get hold of their NZ passports and book that one way flight to the lucky country.

I wonder how many on this forum are considering the same?

Could this ever increasing move away accelerate the inevitable joining of OZ and NZ where NZ would become the 7th state of the Commonwealth of Australia.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 3:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Jumping the ditch

No, it will never become the 7th state, both Australia and NZ are against it politically and the people themselves.

We are in a global market, things will even out over the long term.

The high disparity is really caused by the mining industry, the rest of Australia does not look that great economically and personally I think NZ offers a better lifestyle.

And of course the dumb thing is that a lot of emigration comes from the smaller towns in NZ and rural areas. Well it's the same in Aus, you need to work in the cities to earn decent money (apart from mining) and people act surprised when they move from Tokaroa and suddenly find there is more to do and they get paid more in Melbourne.

Edit : Many people are there for purely financial reasons btw, they would much prefer to live in NZ. FIFO work or living in Perth is definitely not better than living in NZ.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 4:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

ellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Ironically thats where we are moving to (Tokoroa), not our first choice, but it gets us in. My husband has a job to go to and well paid too (more than he gets here), so would be interested in your thoughts on the place, apart from it being 'rural' and with good and bad parts of town.
Old Jun 14th 2012, 11:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mike_fornz
Every time I look at the NZ press there are stories of Kiwis and emigrants heading to OZ for a better life, more money etc

Of the dozen or so Brits I know in NZ, all but a couple are counting down the days before they get hold of their NZ passports and book that one way flight to the lucky country.

I wonder how many on this forum are considering the same?

Could this ever increasing move away accelerate the inevitable joining of OZ and NZ where NZ would become the 7th state of the Commonwealth of Australia.
All of the brits I know have no intention of going to Aus - we have all been there and done a working holiday - enjoyed it - some came here originally with the intention of going back to Aus - but now are all very settled here in NZ - much more so than we ever were in Australia.
Old Jun 15th 2012, 1:02 am
BE Enthusiast

calliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nice

Originally Posted by sr71
No, it will never become the 7th state, both Australia and NZ are against it politically and the people themselves.

We are in a global market, things will even out over the long term.

The high disparity is really caused by the mining industry, the rest of Australia does not look that great economically and personally I think NZ offers a better lifestyle.

And of course the dumb thing is that a lot of emigration comes from the smaller towns in NZ and rural areas. Well it's the same in Aus, you need to work in the cities to earn decent money (apart from mining) and people act surprised when they move from Tokaroa and suddenly find there is more to do and they get paid more in Melbourne.

Edit : Many people are there for purely financial reasons btw, they would much prefer to live in NZ. FIFO work or living in Perth is definitely not better than living in NZ.
That's not true really. The mining sector is only 19% of the Aus economy. As for statehood - it was proposed once upon a time but it's hard to see what Aus would get out of it.
Old Jun 15th 2012, 1:38 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Edit : Many people are there for purely financial reasons btw, they would much prefer to live in NZ.
I would have to agree with this from what I hear from those around me.
Old Jun 15th 2012, 2:17 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Caz8NZ
All of the brits I know have no intention of going to Aus - we have all been there and done a working holiday - enjoyed it - some came here originally with the intention of going back to Aus - but now are all very settled here in NZ - much more so than we ever were in Australia.
I've worked with and played with about half a dozen who were just marking time till they got the passport and could wave bye-bye to the "village state" of NZ. These were usually well qualified, experienced professionals who had been in NZ for 2 or 3 years and were already bored with what Auckland had to offer or frustrated with poor work practices.

But then there were almost as many who were quite happy here, as I am, in spite of the work situation which was and remains rubbish.
Old Jun 15th 2012, 3:37 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ellenarosemary
Ironically thats where we are moving to (Tokoroa), not our first choice, but it gets us in. My husband has a job to go to and well paid too (more than he gets here), so would be interested in your thoughts on the place, apart from it being 'rural' and with good and bad parts of town.
I have no thoughts on Tokoroa, I only mentioned it because it was one of the first small towns that sprang to mind and have driven through numerous times on the way to Taupo.

I really like that part of the country though.
Old Jun 15th 2012, 3:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by calliope
That's not true really. The mining sector is only 19% of the Aus economy. As for statehood - it was proposed once upon a time but it's hard to see what Aus would get out of it.
"Only" 19%?

That is huge. For comparison, the entire financial industry in the UK is around 8% of the economy.
Old Jun 15th 2012, 5:13 am
BE Enthusiast

calliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nicecalliope is just really nice

"Only" 19%?

That is huge. For comparison, the entire financial industry in the UK is around 8% of the economy.
It's too large in my estimation as well, but the point was made that the booming Australian economy is because of mines alone, and I make the point that this is not the case at all. Remember that is that entire mining sector and related economy, the mining alone is around 6%, compared to Canada's 4%.

Last edited by calliope; Jun 15th 2012 at 5:17 am.
Old Jun 15th 2012, 9:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ellenarosemary
Small town and pretty poor mainly maori community with high unemployment. Like most I've only driven
through the place and stopped for a short time but from what I've seen there's not a lot there
so best to use it as a base for a short while and look for somewhere else PDQ

Last edited by Justcol; Jun 15th 2012 at 9:37 pm.
Old Jun 15th 2012, 10:47 pm
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

An ex colleague of mine lives and works in toke. he loves it. Very active social community and very peaceful compared to some places.
There's work there if you want it.
Old Jun 16th 2012, 7:55 pm
Who loves you, baby?

sparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond repute

What, like the UK isn't the 51st state of the US
Old Jun 16th 2012, 8:15 pm
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

No, its' not.
On the sparkie side, can I install one of those heater lights in the bathroom without wiring in the fan?
Old Jun 16th 2012, 8:23 pm
Who loves you, baby?

sparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond reputesparkie down under has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve
No, its' not.
On the sparkie side, can I install one of those heater lights in the bathroom without wiring in the fan?
depends.

two light unit in a ceiling with adequate ventilation above it, (for heat dispersion) possible

four light unit NO NO NO NO NO. fan has to be wired so as to come on with lights and independently

(and make sure all your work complies to ECP51)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.