Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The job is in Rotorua......is everywhere smelly??

The job is in Rotorua......is everywhere smelly??

Old Sep 13th 2007, 9:27 am
BE Forum Addict

kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy The job is in Rotorua......is everywhere smelly??

Well today I found out the job offer is not in Tauranga as first suggested but in Rotorua. Lynmore to be precise.

I need to know if anyone has visited the surrounding area and tell me what its really like.
I have said to OH that if he did not like it we can move on but can you do that on a temp work visa, got with an offer of employment? Do we have to go back to immigration and apply again?

God help me please. I thought I was getting somewhere, just managed to stop the tears flowing, and then we get told we are not going to be where we have researched so much...............damn, damn and damn again.

Nici
Old Sep 13th 2007, 9:34 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: The job is in Rotorua......is everywhere smelly??

Even if you are on a temporary work permit and you find you don't like your job you are free to find another one. The thing is you cannot legally work without a sponsored work permit. It also means you can't swan about the country for several months looking for work (Well, yeah you can, but you'd have to change your work permits over to visitor permits if you need to swan about for an extended time). Therefore you'd need to find another employer who is able to sponsor you and re-apply for another work permit. Yes, you'll have to pay the permit fees.

Good luck.

Last edited by happynz; Sep 13th 2007 at 9:36 am. Reason: extra info...
Old Sep 13th 2007, 9:37 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kato33
Well today I found out the job offer is not in Tauranga as first suggested but in Rotorua. Lynmore to be precise.

I need to know if anyone has visited the surrounding area and tell me what its really like.
I have said to OH that if he did not like it we can move on but can you do that on a temp work visa, got with an offer of employment? Do we have to go back to immigration and apply again?

God help me please. I thought I was getting somewhere, just managed to stop the tears flowing, and then we get told we are not going to be where we have researched so much...............damn, damn and damn again.

Nici
Nici
well done on job offer
I've been to Rotorua a couple of times and no you can't smell the eggy smell everywhere. I seem to remember 'Gill' the nurse who lives there saying that on a thread too.
Rotorua is only a one hour drive from Tauranga so you can still come to the get togethers. And remember the BE get together is happening in Rotarua in Jan!!!
Helen
Old Sep 13th 2007, 9:38 am
BE Forum Addict

kato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond reputekato33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by happynz
Even if you are on a temporary work permit and you find you don't like your job you are free to find another one. The thing is you cannot legally work without a sponsored work permit. It also means you can't swan about the country for several months looking for work (Well, yeah you can, but you'd have to change your work permits over to visitor permits if you need to swan about for an extended time). Therefore you'd need to find another employer who is able to sponsor you and re-apply for another work permit. Yes, you'll have to pay the permit fees.

Good luck.
I am not being sponsored though.
Now I am panicking........OH has an offer of employment as his job is onj the ISSL.

Should we be sponsored then????

OMG..........palpatations.
Old Sep 13th 2007, 9:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by helinuk
Nici
well done on job offer
I've been to Rotorua a couple of times and no you can't smell the eggy smell everywhere. I seem to remember 'Gill' the nurse who lives there saying that on a thread too.
Rotorua is only a one hour drive from Tauranga so you can still come to the get togethers. And remember the BE get together is happening in Rotarua in Jan!!!
Helen
I will be there then as well.................wooohooooo

Unless the OH gets cold feet now. He had his heart set on Tauranga. So did I to be honest.
Old Sep 13th 2007, 9:47 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

I am not being sponsored though.
Now I am panicking........OH has an offer of employment as his job is on the ISSL.

Should we be sponsored then????

OMG..........palpatations.
Settle down.

Panicking isn't necessary at all. If your husband is the main applicant he will get the sponsored work permit. You will be issued an open work permit allowing you to work at whatever for whomever. Your kids will be given student permits whereby they can study in New Zealand state schools same as any other Kiwi kid.

It is quite possible for you to find work. If you can find an employer to sponsor you you can become the main applicant and your husband would get the open permit. Then he could work for whomever at whatever. I know how this works because we've done it ourselves.

Good luck.
Old Sep 13th 2007, 9:53 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by happynz
Settle down.

Panicking isn't necessary at all. If your husband is the main applicant he will get the sponsored work permit. You will be issued an open work permit allowing you to work at whatever for whomever. Your kids will be given student permits whereby they can study in New Zealand state schools same as any other Kiwi kid.

It is quite possible for you to find work. If you can find an employer to sponsor you you can become the main applicant and your husband would get the open permit. Then he could work for whomever at whatever. I know how this works because we've done it ourselves.

Good luck.
I will be working as well to be honest anyway. The thought of spending all the time drives me nuts, 4 kids an 'all.
Old Sep 13th 2007, 9:54 am
BE Forum Addict

I will be working as well to be honest anyway. The thought of spending all the time drives me nuts, 4 kids an 'all.

Is it quite easy to change if the he cannot settle in the job?
Old Sep 13th 2007, 9:55 am

erm...eh? I'm not following you.
Old Sep 13th 2007, 9:59 am

Is it quite easy to change if the he cannot settle in the job?
As I was saying, if you will be working and if you can get your employer to sponsor you, then yes, you would apply to be the principle applicant and your husband's permit would be changed to an open one and he could work for whomever at whatever. The thing is that someone would have to be sponsored.
Old Sep 13th 2007, 10:29 am
BE Forum Addict

Gill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond reputeGill and Rob has a reputation beyond repute

Hello
As I ahve said in many previousl post, not all part of Rotorua have the sulphur smell.

It's a great town, so don't be put off. It is also small enough that you don't have to live where the job is (Lynmore), no where seems more than 15 miuntes away from the town centre.

Gill
Old Sep 13th 2007, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

Heavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of light
Smile Re: The job is in Rotorua......is everywhere smelly??

Nici
Hi
We lived in Hamurana, overlooking lake rotorua, it was fantastic. it is the nearest route to the Tauranga Direct Road.

There is only one part of Rotorua that actually smells and the is nearer to Marguerita Street u go and Fenton Street area because of the thermal park at the end of Fenton st. there is one advantage of buying a house here, the hot water and always free and u have free central heating! if u have a swimming pool which lots of houses do have, u dont have any costs to heat it!

As i am sure i told u before my hubby arrived in nz with no visa, went and found himself a driving job, applied and got a work visa, after a year changed it for a 2 year visa. His firm offered him work to residency visa, but we declined it to come home.

Lynmore is the nice estate, but beware that it is on eastside! Not getting into that debate again!!

Rotorua is the most fantastic area to live as u have everything on yr doorstep, most kiwis come to Rotorua for the weekends and holidays. it is a fantastic place. you will love it, but I do suggest a look at Hamuranau will be spoilt for choice, views, mountains, lakes.

Hope this helps and u will love it.
Old Sep 13th 2007, 11:49 am
BE Forum Addict

[/QUOTE]Lynmore is the nice estate, but beware that it is on eastside! Not getting into that debate again!!

Rotorua is the most fantastic area to live as u have everything on yr doorstep, most kiwis come to Rotorua for the weekends and holidays. it is a fantastic place. you will love it, but I do suggest a look at Hamuranau will be spoilt for choice, views, mountains, lakes.

Hope this helps and u will love it.[/QUOTE]

The sad face has now gone and the smiles are back again.

What do I have to lose hey!! So what if it smells a bit.......OH does anyway after a curry

May I ask what you meant by beware that it is on eastside! Not getting into that debate again!! Is a bad area or something??

Nici
Old Sep 13th 2007, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

Heavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of lightHeavenlyscent is a glorious beacon of light

Lynmore is the nice estate, but beware that it is on eastside! Not getting into that debate again!!

Hope this helps and u will love it.[/QUOTE]

The sad face has now gone and the smiles are back again.

What do I have to lose hey!! So what if it smells a bit.......OH does anyway after a curry

May I ask what you meant by beware that it is on eastside! Not ge,tting into that debate again!! Is a bad area or something??

Nici[/QUOTE]
Lynmore is considered a good area, but it is situated on eastside! Mongrel Mob gangs rule certain areas there. The local school Rotorua Lakes is appaling academically, so the kids are usually bussed into town to girls high, or boys high schools. (not that these are much better academically, so if education is important Rotorua is not the place for senior schools). Rotorua is known as 10 dollar city, so most jobs pay this rate.

You make me laugh hahah, the smell is so bad when u first encounter it that it has made some freinds of ours physically sick, but to be honest u do actually get used to it. Promise. Our first house was in Marguerita street, in the midst of it all, we did get used to it, but the sulphur in the air turn all things silver, black and tv's and computers ,washing machines etc don't last as long.

Just trying to think what else i can tell u, yes there is 24macdonalds, 3 kfc, burger king, lots of restuarants. Alcohol is only sold in liquor stores and not supermarkets. Nearly everyone smokes, don't be shocked if someone bumps yr car in the supermarket car park and doesn't do anything about it, no one cares. Insurance is optional. Kids 15yrs old all drive cars.

The teenage culture is very similar to that of the uk, parties most weekends, drinking and driving is so much more acceptable over there.

There are public toilets all over the north island, all the drivers just stop and use them, they do not have graffiti or samshed, they are well cared for. Also there are barbies to use for families in most places where u can stop and make yourselves a barbie on a day out.

You will probably end up with a boat, it is part of the culture. The lakes are fantastic to swm in, or take a boat out fishing.

Have a great time, when u get there let me know what you think.