Reload this Page >

Job options with WHV

Job options with WHV

Old Jun 29th 2014, 9:47 pm
Just Joined

Pippa89 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Job options with WHV

Hi everyone,

Me and my boyfriend can't make up our mind about buying a house in the UK or trying to move abroad to NZ. We visited NZ 2 years ago and have been struggling with this thought ever since.

Staying in the UK would always mean thinking 'What if we had tried to move to NZ' OR we try and move to NZ, it all goes wrong and we have to come back home, probably putting our lives on hold for a couple of years :S

We would have to go back to NZ on a WHV and work towards a permanent move. My question is what is the likelihood of getting a job that isn't bar/retail/tourism etc? For example are employers reluctant to take on 'tourists'?

Hope this makes sense, would love to hear from anyone who has done this on a WHV.

Ages 24 & 29, both graduates.
Old Jun 29th 2014, 11:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

LauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond reputeLauraNotts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job options with WHV

Might be helpful to have a look on sites like Jobs on SEEK - New Zealand's no.1 Employment, Career and Recruitment site to have a sneak at what jobs are available for you guys and the pay for them.

I came out on a WHV and am currently on an essential skills visa umming and ahhing about residency In my case I'm a nurse so it was relatively easy for me to find short term skilled paid work, I can't speak for other industries. Perhaps if you came out and obtained work to pay your bills THEN looked for more permanent jobs which required an actual work visa that'd be a good route to go.

I'm sure you've thought about this as well but it always pays to ask yourselves why NZ and not the UK. Living here is very different to holidaying here and you might want to work through some of the challenges you might face and whether another extended holiday might better scratch the itch.

That said I wish you all the luck in the world, come to Christchurch, it rocks.
Old Jun 30th 2014, 12:43 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Pippa,

Why not apply for the WHV's and head out and see how you get on? If you find more permanent work then great. If not treat it as one long working holiday picking up tourist type jobs and exploring the country. When your WHV is close to running out see how you feel about staying here more permanently or if you don't like it apply for a WHV for Australia and repeat! You are both young and plenty of fun can be had backpacking/travelling I wouldn't personally view it as putting your life on hold, but more starting another chapter to enjoy.

My partner and I (similar age to you, just a wee bit older) came to NZ three years ago and love it. We came to NZ for 7 weeks, went back to the UK first and then came out to NZ again to live permanently. Have enjoyed every minute so far!
Old Jun 30th 2014, 1:34 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

as the others have already said come out on the WHV and have a look round and see how it goes against holidaying here. renting, cost of living etc are all very differenct when you are actually living here rather than holidaying.
If you then still don't find work that will enable you to remain on a more permanent visa at least you will have more of a "true" reflection on living here and can look to apply down a different route from UK if needed.
Old Jun 30th 2014, 1:44 am
Forum Regular

Blade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond reputeBlade Down Under has a reputation beyond repute

As long as you have the right to work in New Zealand - you shouldn't have a problem. A working holiday route can be a good thing as you can then obtain a year experience working in your field of career

What have you both graduated in? What's your line of work?

If in IT, get yourselves to Wellington immediately after September 30th. We have an election coming up soon and give it a couple of weeks after before planned government projects go ahead. If they can have you for a year, they will take that. Use your services and then view about keeping you on permanently. Failing that, you may have the skills and experience to seek further a field in Hamilton for example.

Plus, you could have the luxury of taking a break and heading down to Queenstown for a few months. Everyone raves about that place so there must be something good about it.
Old Jun 30th 2014, 1:55 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Blade Down Under
Plus, you could have the luxury of taking a break and heading down to Queenstown for a few months. Everyone raves about that place so there must be something good about it.
Queenstown? Yeah, it's aright...
Attached Thumbnails Job options with WHV-cromwell-31.jpg   Job options with WHV-cromwell-18.jpg  
Old Jun 30th 2014, 6:05 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

How likely you are to get jobs depends on what you do, as others have said.

Just to add though, why not come over and if it doesn't work out then view it as an adventure/long holiday rather than putting your lives on hold. You have plenty of time to settle down. Hell, I'm still not fully settled and I'm a [little!] bit older than you
Old Jul 1st 2014, 7:28 am
Just Joined

1redbird1 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've had problems job hunting in Australia on a WHV so over here I have been careful to explain in interviews how my visa situation will progress in the future and any work restrictions that may affect me - my partner is a New Zealander so I'll hopefully be going for a partner-based visa in a few months.

I've since been offered a job with the local council so being on a WHV is not a write-off! However I have seen quite a few jobs that require at least a residence visa if not citizenship to be considered. Good luck with whatever you decide!
Old Jul 2nd 2014, 11:41 pm
Just Joined

Lucy Fookes is an unknown quantity at this point

It might be useful to look at the Immigration New Zealand website, they have lists of skilled jobs in demand, if you fit one of these categories it would be easier for you to get a job in NZ. Also if you stick to the main cities its fairly easy to pick up temp admin work - particularly in Wellington as this is where most of NZs Government Departments are based. Plus Wellington is an awesome city to live in!

Essential Skills In Demand Lists

Best of luck