Reload this Page >

Job offer in Wellington

Job offer in Wellington

Old Mar 22nd 2019, 2:16 pm
Just Joined

Jaykerai23 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Job offer in Wellington

Hi all

just wanted your views on a Job offer i have received for a project engineer on a Civil Engineering project in Wellington.

I am a single 30yo and have been offered a salary of 125,000NZD with one way flights, kiwi saver and a company car and 4 weeks accommodation provided upon arrival.

Do you think this is a good offer in terms of living costs?
Old Mar 22nd 2019, 7:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Job offer in Wellington

No idea what the normal going wage is for civil engineers but you won't struggle on that salary
Old Mar 22nd 2019, 8:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jaykerai23
Hi all

just wanted your views on a Job offer i have received for a project engineer on a Civil Engineering project in Wellington.

I am a single 30yo and have been offered a salary of 125,000NZD with one way flights, kiwi saver and a company car and 4 weeks accommodation provided upon arrival.

Not sure if that's a competitive salary for a Civil Engineering Project Manager in Wellington (or the rest of NZ), but that's a pretty good offer on its own. New people coming in to our business managing the National Grid aren't offered that much to start off - maybe $110k and would probably need 2 years in role before they got to $125k.
Kiwisaver isn't really anything to be super excited about. I'd expect the majority of legit companies all across NZ will have to offer as a mandatory benefit. All they do is match your % payment in to Kiwisaver up to 4% of your salary. Kiwisaver itself is a retirement fund and you select a % of basic pay to invest out of salary - either 3, 4 or 8% or you can opt out if you have other investment plans for retirement.
One way flights is a good expense to be covered. That'll save you around 1200 quid. If you plan on shipping any furniture over, sports equipment etc etc then full shipping costs plus insurance is a good thing to negotiate as part of your relocation package.
4 weeks accommodation is also a good offer. One less thing to worry about and it gives you some breathing space. It is possible you could always stay on in that rental temporarily for an agreed fee should you need more time although these types of corporate rentals can be expensive if paying on your own. I think the one my business offers is $1500 a week! but will agree to you paying 50% if you need to stay on for longer, but $750 per week still very expensive.
The company car is an awesome benefit so long as you get full use out of it for personal. They are worth around $15k per year when ou get full personal use and all expenses paid including fuel.
All in all a pretty good deal in my book. You'd have a pretty good life in Wellington on $125k a year with a contract vehicle not costing you a cent.
Old Mar 22nd 2019, 9:48 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

As a young single bloke you'll be absolutely fine on that salary. Depending on your lifestyle you'll be able to afford a good standard of living and have plenty left over for luxury's 😊
Old Mar 22nd 2019, 9:52 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
As a young single bloke you'll be absolutely fine on that salary. Depending on your lifestyle you'll be able to afford a good standard of living and have plenty left over for luxury's 😊
Concur.
Old Mar 23rd 2019, 12:06 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

I co-concur.

Also I think there is a new kiwisaver rate comming in soon, along with other changes to the scheme, but I don't actually know exactly when.
Old Mar 23rd 2019, 5:38 am
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah there's a few proposals for changes to Kiwisaver in 2019 as it's 7 years since the last review of the provider list and there's a new taxation bill that came in last year that has an effect. The new investment rates are 6% and 10% to go with the existing 3, 4 and 8% and the plan is to have that through in April and other changes in July.
Old Mar 24th 2019, 5:07 am
BE Forum Addict

carcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond reputecarcajou has a reputation beyond repute

As others noted, a single person on that salary will be fine.
Old Mar 25th 2019, 4:24 am
Forum Regular

katie8383 is an unknown quantity at this point

Go for it. We live in Wellington and got a similar salary offer to yours (my partner anyway). We both work but I didn't work for the first couple of months and we lived comfortably on his income.

Good luck - drop me a message if you need any help/advice on Wellington!
Old Mar 30th 2019, 8:29 pm
cym
Forum Regular

cym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jaykerai23
Hi all

Hell yeah......
Old Mar 30th 2019, 8:29 pm
cym
Forum Regular

cym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond repute

hell yeah