Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Extremism , terrism & hate speech discussion - NZ

Extremism , terrism & hate speech discussion - NZ

Old Mar 20th 2019, 8:50 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Default Extremism , terrism & hate speech discussion - NZ

This week:
[Prime Minister Jacinda Adern] said there was a responsibility "to weed it out where it exists and make sure that we never create an environment where it [extremism] can flourish".
Two weeks ago:
Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern says so-called 'Kiwi Jihadist' Mark Taylor could face legal action if he manages to make his way back into New Zealand.
So, uhh, what? Which are we doing next week, I'm confused now.
Old Mar 20th 2019, 9:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Active Shooter in Christ church

Originally Posted by Charismatic
This week:
[Prime Minister Jacinda Adern] said there was a responsibility "to weed it out where it exists and make sure that we never create an environment where it [extremism] can flourish"
Two weeks ago:
Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern says so-called 'Kiwi Jihadist' Mark Taylor could face legal action if he manages to make his way back into New Zealand.

Sorry, I must be missing something here, I dont see the point you are trying to make from the examples you have given

I am not and never will be a supporter of Adern as a politician, however, this week has been extraordinary to say the least.
I doubt there are many who could find fault in the way she has reacted to the events of last friday or the way she has represented
New Zealand, its people and culture in the aftermath.
While there are still 50 bodies lying in the morgue, I'm not sure now is the time to nit pick

Last edited by Justcol; Mar 20th 2019 at 9:29 am.
Old Mar 20th 2019, 11:52 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Without doubt her leadership has been fantastic since the terrorist incident last Friday, as widely reported. There doesn't yet appear to me to be a consistent policy for New Zealand however that aligns our approach to the Prime Ministers call for an international effort to fight terrorism.
Old Mar 21st 2019, 12:58 am
Forum Regular

Timmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond repute

I dunno, wouldnt say shes squeaky clean. It was her who oversaw the recent gun law changes to allow permits for military style guns to be made online and if we are to 'call out' racism and hate speech then why the pussyfooting around what Turkish Pres said? Criticising NZs Gallipoli campaign as anti Islam orientated and that the going home in a coffin like your grandads comment!! Shocking, I hope Winnie kicks some ass over that when he's there
Old Mar 21st 2019, 4:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Timmy Chch
I hope Winnie kicks some ass over that when he's there
Sadly not, he's simply made an excuse on Erdogān's behalf.
Peters is a lightweight on the international scene, no one pays much attention to anything he says
Old Mar 22nd 2019, 7:02 am
BE Enthusiast

Clappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Extremism , terrism & hate speech discussion - NZ

Originally Posted by Charismatic
This week:

Two weeks ago:

It is not the fault of the current politicians that things were how they were.

I am horrified to have discovered that the firearms controls in this country were as lax as they were - that was a disaster waiting to happen and so it has.
Old Mar 22nd 2019, 4:45 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

The hypocrisy of New Zealand's "this is not us" claim.
Old Mar 22nd 2019, 7:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

I don't see this thread as anything but a thinnly veiled excuse to perpetuate division
Old Mar 23rd 2019, 12:49 pm
Proudly Deplorable

Amazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond reputeAmazulu has a reputation beyond repute

That article is nonsense.

If she doesn't feel welcome in open societies like Australia and New Zealand, then she really should move somewhere where she will be.

The west has bent over backwards to accommodate islam in it's midst, but to many muslims this is still not enough. How much more do we bend?

Yet another indicator of the failure of multiculturalism in the west.

In the context of multiculturalism, the future is not bright.
Old Mar 24th 2019, 6:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Surely the whole point is that you don't have to do anything.
All you have to do is completely ignore the fact that some people you may know or some people who live in NZ pray to a different imaginary friend to you or other people you may know and suddenly there is no issue, no at all.
No Muslim I have ever know has ever asked me to change a single thing about how I live or where I live.
I have more issues with lazy arse kiwis who sponge of the state than anything else.

And I am now officially over saint Jacinda. This has been her Thatcher in a tank moment.
Old Mar 24th 2019, 1:16 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amazulu
That article is nonsense.

If she doesn't feel welcome in open societies like Australia and New Zealand, then she really should move somewhere where she will be.

The west has bent over backwards to accommodate islam in it's midst, but to many muslims this is still not enough. How much more do we bend?

Yet another indicator of the failure of multiculturalism in the west.

In the context of multiculturalism, the future is not bright.
I am not from New Zealand and I only posted that link to share a perspective. But if one was to make a connection between that article and your post, then you're certainly one of the types of citizens that she is referring to - people who complain non stop about "multiculturalism" or sometimes dubbed as 'lack of integration'.

This is a typical mindset among the UK's white class which I saw quite commonly in existence when I lived there. But now that I live in North America which is a true epitome of diversity, thankfully I never hear anybody complaining about a certain ethnicity or religion not adopting their set of values and vice versa in order to be cohesive. This continent understands much better than the rest of the "West" that cohesion isn't as simple as expecting immigrants to bent over backwards and mould themselves to do things that their own culture or religion won't be pleased with. Live and let live is the best way for communities to flourish.
Old Mar 24th 2019, 1:28 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edo
I am not from New Zealand and I only posted that link to share a perspective. But if one was to make a connection between that article and your post, then you're certainly one of the types of citizens that she is referring to - people who complain non stop about "multiculturalism" or sometimes dubbed as 'lack of integration'.

This is a typical mindset among the UK's white class which I saw quite commonly in existence when I lived there. But now that I live in North America which is a true epitome of diversity, thankfully I never hear anybody complaining about a certain ethnicity or religion not adopting their set of values and vice versa in order to be cohesive. This continent understands much better than the rest of the "West" that cohesion isn't as simple as expecting immigrants to bent over backwards and mould themselves to do things that their own culture or religion won't be pleased with. Live and let live is the best way for communities to flourish.
While I agree with much of your post, citing the USA as a true epitome of diversity, thankfully I never hear anybody complaining about a certain ethnicity or religion not adopting their set of values and vice versa in order to be cohesive is a bit rich considering the words and actions of your President!
Old Mar 24th 2019, 2:59 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edo
But now that I live in North America which is a true epitome of diversity, thankfully I never hear anybody complaining about a certain ethnicity or religion not adopting their set of values and vice versa in order to be cohesive.
Yesterday afternoon in the middle of Canada a Romanian immigrant sitting in the Hungarian Club complained to me that we shouldn't let Hindu police wear turbans.

Old Mar 25th 2019, 4:28 pm
Edo
BE Forum Addict

spouse of scouse and caretaker both of you brought up examples of one bad egg from each particular country so well done
Old Mar 26th 2019, 12:51 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edo
spouse of scouse and caretaker both of you brought up examples of one bad egg from each particular country so well done
I'm sorry if you thought my post was irrelevant. I just believe that claims such as contained in your statements

But now that I live in North America which is a true epitome of diversity, thankfully I never hear anybody complaining about a certain ethnicity or religion not adopting their set of values and vice versa in order to be cohesive. This continent understands much better than the rest of the "West" that cohesion isn't as simple as expecting immigrants to bent over backwards and mould themselves to do things that their own culture or religion won't be pleased with. Live and let live is the best way for communities to flourish

should be tested for veracity against the legislation, actions and words of a country's leader and government, rather than be presented as fact on the basis of the anecdotal evidence of one person. Trump's government falls down badly in every claim you've made.

I don't doubt that there are many people in the US who hold the positive values you mention, but this is no different to New Zealand or the UK (the two nations you mentioned). Your attempt to portray the US as somehow 'better' just doesn't fly, I'm afraid.
​​​

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.