Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Its enough to put you off!

Its enough to put you off!

Old Jan 27th 2007, 12:26 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Its enough to put you off!

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
We mostly buy Fresh-up, Keri or "Ben's" or something. Guess what? None have any added sugar.
Puzzled of Orewa
I buy Keri or Charlies - nothing added either. When people talk about the food here being 'sweet' what products are you talking about? Specifically? The only thing that's too sweet for me is Pavlova but I never liked it, even before coming here. That, and lemon merringue pie. Yuck!
Old Jan 27th 2007, 12:44 am
Banned

Dirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dlmckay
Um, you can buy Just Juice pretty much everywhere!

Not in OZ you can't! I've discovered something similar now, but it's only in one Woolies!

mmmm just juice
Old Jan 27th 2007, 12:57 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Im not just talking about fruit juice , lots of products here are sweeter than the uk equivalent. Also kiwis in general like their food sweeter .... I have found.
Doesn't matter to me whether folk agree or not .
Old Jan 29th 2007, 7:41 am
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Dirk1971
Not in OZ you can't! I've discovered something similar now, but it's only in one Woolies!
Gosh, you're going to think I'm picking on you now... you're in Australia? I thought you were in Wellington... therefore was confused as to why you couldn't find sugar free juice... surely there's more than one type of sugar free juice in a country with a population of 20 million....
Old Jan 30th 2007, 2:43 am
Forum Regular

Rustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of light

I agree with you Sky I think that lots of NZ foods are really sweet and have read in numerous reports that they do have sweetner added to things, a good example is baked beans and tomato sauce.

It's purely down to what you grew up with i believe and you find it in so many things like the differences in takeaway foods; curry's that (imho) have lots of salt and sugar added, etc.
I now make so much of my own foods whereas I used have lots of 'readymeals', but that's just me!
Old Jan 30th 2007, 3:36 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rustie
I agree with you Sky I think that lots of NZ foods are really sweet and have read in numerous reports that they do have sweetner added to things, a good example is baked beans and tomato sauce.

It's purely down to what you grew up with i believe and you find it in so many things like the differences in takeaway foods; curry's that (imho) have lots of salt and sugar added, etc.
I now make so much of my own foods whereas I used have lots of 'readymeals', but that's just me!
Yes curry sauces are very mild and sweet aren't they and chilli sauce just has no punch at all. I gave up buying jars and packets of that sort of stuff ages ago and just go the indian supermarket or buy basic ingredients.
Old Jan 30th 2007, 4:24 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dlmckay
Gosh, you're going to think I'm picking on you now... you're in Australia? I thought you were in Wellington... therefore was confused as to why you couldn't find sugar free juice... surely there's more than one type of sugar free juice in a country with a population of 20 million....
One thing Dirk may be finding is that Oz does not import food, therefore anything that is not "Proudly Australian grown" will not be available.

I even saw in a Melbourne supermarket some New Zealand Kiwi fruit, stickered with "NZ produce", under a sign saying "Australian grown"!!!

The Australians will not buy anything imported, they're a bit like the Americans in that aspect.

Buzzy
Old Jan 31st 2007, 8:21 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by kiwi_child

The fact is things could be improved by the reintroduction of tariffs etc. Both countries lost industries such as footwear, textile and clothing that employed many many people. And what did we get for it? Cheap shoddy crap from asia that falls apart after a few washes.

Stimulating the economy by driving down wages as NZ and now OZ are doing simply creates a great working underclass.

property rises are preventing/making it harder for people to get ont he housing ladder is largely due to the continual drive to artifically hold inflation down to low single figures. OZ, NZ and UK have among the worst housing affordability in the world.

I'm not advocating mass inflation, but moderate inflation (say 10-15%) never prevented people maintaining a decent standard of living in the past. It's only when it creeps up past that that it becomes a real issue.

People decry taxes, but yet scream there's poor health, education and other services etc. Where do they think govt gets the money to fund these things?

Privatisation only works when there is genuine competition and affordability across all income brackets, and then only to a degree.

As for small countries, Denmark has done well yet maintained healthy social justice and welfare policies. Even when the US threatened to bankrupt it if it didn't play the game. And the US is the most protective tariff ridden nation of all when it coems to protecting its domestic markets yet in the same breathe tries to force all other countries to adopt this globalisation crap.
Kiwi Childs entire post makes a huge amount of sense. Great post in fact. I particularly agree with the above comments.
Old Feb 14th 2007, 12:09 am
BE Enthusiast

The Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mazi
You should still visit - it's the only way you'll get any idea of whether you think you'll like the place but be aware that a visit is just that. It is wildly different to living there. After a period of 'real life' there your view may be different to the one you held when you were a 'tourist', but that is just something you'll have to accept may happen and you CAN leave if it doesn't work for you (well, it may take some time to leave of course if your finances are not what you'd like them to be but nothing is impossible).

This is only my experience/opinion but I 'visited' for three months before deciding to take the job offer and stay. I was, and remain, very grateful for the experience but I make no secret of the fact that I found living in NZ truly awful and I returned to Europe a shadow of my former self (in the emotional/personality sense, not the physical). Contrary to some people's beliefs I do not 'just hate' NZ, I have valid reasons for not enjoying my time there - too numerous to go into right here right now, but take it from me I went with a positive attitude and liked what I saw...at first. I tried to deny how unhappy I was becoming for some time but as time went on it just got worse and worse until I had to accept that I couldn't accept all the things that were plunging me into despair (and those things were peculiar to NZ, nothing to do with me just being a miserable person or having the 'wrong' attitude). It took a few months to organise but I eventually left and while I definitely was not 'me' when I got back to the Northern Hemisphere, 'me' is nearly back in full!

I am not saying this to try to put you off, just to try to make you aware that Ok, it may not turn out to be your place but if you don't go in the first instance it will definitely not be your place. So I say stick to the plan and go for a look, if nothing else you'll have a holiday and you'll be safe in the knowledge that you bought the T-shirt.
T

I completely agree. New Zealand has giving me an wonderful appreciation for what I left behind. I think if I did not live here I would have lived my life taking for granted what an extraordinary place I grew up in, in the US.

I also find myself diminished by living in New Zealand.
I think the shock of discovery of how difficult life is here is made worse by the hyperbole that is too often advanced by New Zealanders themselves (most beautiful country in the world, best place to raise your kids, some of the freshest food in the world (this is a direct quote from Lonely Planet), friendliest people, cleanest environment, etc.) I find this amusing, as NZers so often boast about not boasting! And what empty boasts they are.

It is nice to know that I am not alone in my estimations, and I also do not feel it is because of personality deficiencies. I have lived my life enjoying good, freshly cooked foods, and trying new foods. I love to read good newspapers. I love to browse bookstores. I like to see live concerts,
especially classical and opera. I love to listen to all kinds of music, from all over the world. I like to travel. I like to try all kinds of restaurants. I love to watch documentaries. I love films, old, new, and foreign.
Above all, I love hiking, and observing the natural world. All of the things I listed are either difficult to do, not available, too expensive, or are very lacking here in NZ. I know there are places to hike, but they are not as abundant as people think. There are no NZ equivalents of a John Muir, or any of the qreat naturalists and conservationists. And I resent having to walk through a cow or sheep pasture to get where I need to go.

I look forward to leaving, and going back home,
and rejoining the world of ideas, possibilities, comfort,
wild, unspoiled land, good and varied food, meeting people from all over the world, and starting my day with an excellent newspaper!

To me, one of the shocking discoveries is how deforested the land is, how little is set aside as natural preserve, and how the dairy industry has turned almost all available land into a cow pasture. Have you ever noticed in Auckland what are called "reserves"? They're often little patches of grass, regularly mowed, often without any trees. I'm not sure what is being reserved, other than the lawn, and some insects. But I believe NZ uses all these little bits of land (and there must be hundreds and hundreds in NZ) and adds them up to include in their statistics of "preserved" land.

New Zealand has given me a deeper appreciation for the beautiful natural environments that I left back home in North American, and have seen in South America, and Africa. NZ landscapes simply do not compare, and beyond that, because the country is small, it is so hard to get away from signs of people, despite it's low population.

By the way, "laid back" as NZers so often call themselves, does not really
mean having an easy going nature. In my experience it means not wearing shoes in public places, and using *a lot* of slang, and having sport as one's main preoccupation, pleasure, and source of conversation.
Old Feb 14th 2007, 12:20 am
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by The Weezer
T

Above all, I love hiking, and observing the natural world. All of the things I listed are either difficult to do, not available, too expensive, or are very lacking here in NZ. I know there are places to hike, but they are not as abundant as people think. There are no NZ equivalents of a John Muir, or any of the qreat naturalists and conservationists. And I resent having to walk through a cow or sheep pasture to get where I need to go.

New Zealand has given me a deeper appreciation for the beautiful natural environments that I left back home in North American, and have seen in South America, and Africa. NZ landscapes simply do not compare, and beyond that, because the country is small, it is so hard to get away from signs of people, despite it's low population.
Oh my god - you are criticising NZ for no hiking?? I take it you haven't been living in the South Island then?
There are so many hikes, and so many huts, and so many tramps that are more than 3 days, and so many places where you have a mountain to your self, and no cell phone coverage. I can only assume you haven't spent your time living where I do, what a shame, you might have had a whole different experience.
Old Feb 14th 2007, 12:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Apple12
Oh my god - you are criticising NZ for no hiking?? I take it you haven't been living in the South Island then?
There are so many hikes, and so many huts, and so many tramps that are more than 3 days, and so many places where you have a mountain to your self, and no cell phone coverage. I can only assume you haven't spent your time living where I do, what a shame, you might have had a whole different experience.
Mmmm, I too sat reading it wondering if I am living on another planet!
Yesterday I went for a walk with my 2 yr old, in the reserve outside my house on the 'crowded' North Shore. We fed the ducks, tons of them, and the pukeko's, laid on the grass by the pond, surrounded by trees, the only sounds were the buzzing of the cicadas, ducks quacking and my daughter attempting to count them. Looking up I happened to catch sight of one of those brightly coloured green, red and blue birds, not sure what they are called!

I've not been to the US, but some parts do look fantastic. I guess if you can put up with the bad things there then it might be a nice place to live.
Old Feb 14th 2007, 12:52 am
BE Enthusiast

The Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Apple12
Hello,
I can see your point!
No, I don't live in the South Island, I live in Auckland, though I have
travelled there. I didn't mean to imply that there weren't hikes in NZ.
Certainly, there are hikes to be done, but there is far, far less opportunity to hike in the Auckland area.
I was being comparative. Within a day's drive of the NY city metropolitan
area, there are many, many hikes, and some of then are truly wild and empty.
The mountains are not as high as the southern Alps, but some of the parks
are vast, such as the Adirondacks, the White Mountains, I could go on.
And it is very varied, including spruce/pine forests, mixed deciduous, full of native plants and animals.
There are far, far fewer options in the greater Auckland area than there were back in my home in New Jersey. In other words, it would be unlikely to get a good job, and earn enough money to live on (without farming), and still be close to good open spaces.
My point was that hiking and the natural world, I do not think, would be
a reason to live in NZ if you are from many parts of North America. It is a
different landscape, and a lot of it is unique, but it is expensive and time consuming to see these places if you do not live close to them.
I quite love the NZ bush, and have gotten to know many of the trees and plants.
Old Feb 14th 2007, 12:57 am
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

Hello,
I can see your point!
I guess it all comes down to choosing the place to live that fits both lifestyle and jobs. If you were down here in ChCh I believe that you would have had a totally different experience, if hiking, moutain biking, kayaking, moutaineering, caving, skiing, surfing, are the sort of things you like. What a shame.

Last edited by Apple12; Feb 14th 2007 at 12:59 am.
Old Feb 14th 2007, 12:58 am

Beachcombers is an unknown quantity at this point

By the way, "laid back" as NZers so often call themselves, does not really
mean having an easy going nature. In my experience it means not wearing shoes in public places, and using *a lot* of slang, and having sport as one's main preoccupation, pleasure, and source of conversation.
"Laid Back" means not being up your own arse.
Old Feb 14th 2007, 1:09 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jude J
Mmmm, I too sat reading it wondering if I am living on another planet!
Yesterday I went for a walk with my 2 yr old, in the reserve outside my house on the 'crowded' North Shore. We fed the ducks, tons of them, and the pukeko's, laid on the grass by the pond, surrounded by trees, the only sounds were the buzzing of the cicadas, ducks quacking and my daughter attempting to count them. Looking up I happened to catch sight of one of those brightly coloured green, red and blue birds, not sure what they are called!

I've not been to the US, but some parts do look fantastic. I guess if you can put up with the bad things there then it might be a nice place to live.
You are describing a scene that is very common in urban parks just about
anywhere you'd care to look. I didn't mean to imply that all reserves are treeless expanses of lawn. But too many are, and I've made a study of it. You're lucky to have one that's near water.

It's hard to look at a place objectively if it's your home, so it's hard to imagine what the bad things are. What I say about NZ comes from intimate
experience. Too many of the criticisms I have personally heard about life
in the US comes from people who have never lived there, and get their
knowledge from television shows, news blurbs, or a brief visit, which is not a reasonable way to gain knowledge about a place in its fundamentals.

I find that a brief visit in no way gives you an idea about daily life in a place. Until I lived here, I did not know the particulars, good or bad. Seeing a place, and judging it, based on the well travelled tourist route is sure to leave false impressions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.