Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Its enough to put you off!

Its enough to put you off!

Old Feb 14th 2007, 1:27 am
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Its enough to put you off!

Originally Posted by The Weezer
You are describing a scene that is very common in urban parks just about
anywhere you'd care to look. I didn't mean to imply that all reserves are treeless expanses of lawn. But too many are, and I've made a study of it. You're lucky to have one that's near water.

It's hard to look at a place objectively if it's your home, so it's hard to imagine what the bad things are. What I say about NZ comes from intimate
experience. Too many of the criticisms I have personally heard about life
in the US comes from people who have never lived there, and get their
knowledge from television shows, news blurbs, or a brief visit, which is not a reasonable way to gain knowledge about a place in its fundamentals.

I find that a brief visit in no way gives you an idea about daily life in a place. Until I lived here, I did not know the particulars, good or bad. Seeing a place, and judging it, based on the well travelled tourist route is sure to leave false impressions.
I fully appreciate how lucky I am to be living here. The park I am referring to is in no way like the urban parks of England. Well, at least, not in the numerous towns and cities I lived in.

Yes, everything I know about the US is second hand. I happen to hate the American bashing going on at the moment, I imagine it must get you down.
Old Feb 14th 2007, 1:42 am

Beachcombers is an unknown quantity at this point

It's hard to look at a place objectively if it's your home, so it's hard to imagine what the bad things are.
If that were true, then all of us would still be in the UK.

I think you underestimate people's capcity to "see the wood from the tree's".

I have lived for three years in rual Pennsylviania and I loved it there, however I would hesitate to compare it to Auckland, or New Jersey for that matter.
Old Feb 14th 2007, 1:55 am
BE Enthusiast

The Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jude J
I fully appreciate how lucky I am to be living here. The park I am referring to is in no way like the urban parks of England. Well, at least, not in the numerous towns and cities I lived in.

Yes, everything I know about the US is second hand. I happen to hate the American bashing going on at the moment, I imagine it must get you down.

I've gotten a similar impression reading the postings, about Britain I mean.
It is so different back home in the US, where I lived, where tree filled parks, with ponds and lots of birdlife are common.

One of the reasons I want to leave NZ is the anti-Americanism.
Once, at the school I worked, a teacher went on about how ignorant
Americans are. I was shocked that a group of people would be openly attacked in a public place. He did not know I was an American, which actually I'm not, as I was born in South America. He felt is was safe to say
what he did because he didn't think there were any Americans around.
He was not attacking the politics, general culture, stuff like that. He said
the *people* are stupid. Another teacher told me every American he ever met (which on further questioning amounted to less than five), was completely ignorant of the world.
Another teacher asked me what I think of the anti-Americanism. He did
not ask me if I was aware of it, he stated it as if anti-Americanism is a fact.

I'm not aware that other people get personally attacked or disliked because
of the politics of their countries. In the US we do not dislike Haitians because
their dictator robs the people, and so forth.

I guess too many people see TV as their only form of information, and all the tacky awful shows are seen as portals into the soul of a nation.
I would not want to judge the British based on the British tv they show here in New Zealand. By the way, it seems that NZ broadcasters make a point of showing some of the very worst of American TV, and very little of the better stuff.
Old Feb 14th 2007, 1:59 am
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

of the politics of their countries. In the US we do not dislike Haitians because
I am afraid that if the anti-americanism in NZ bothers you, then you will find a lot more of it in the rest of the world. I would imagine there aren't too many countries in the world where the USA as a whole is seen as a great friend - maybe Oz?
Old Feb 14th 2007, 2:28 am
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

I've gotten a similar impression reading the postings, about Britain I mean.
It is so different back home in the US, where I lived, where tree filled parks, with ponds and lots of birdlife are common.

Once, at the school I worked, a teacher went on about how ignorant
Americans are. I was shocked that a group of people would be openly attacked in a public place. He did not know I was an American, which actually I'm not, as I was born in South America. He felt is was safe to say
what he did because he didn't think there were any Americans around.
He was not attacking the politics, general culture, stuff like that. He said
the *people* are stupid. Another teacher told me every American he ever met (which on further questioning amounted to less than five), was completely ignorant of the world.
Another teacher asked me what I think of the anti-Americanism. He did
not ask me if I was aware of it, he stated it as if anti-Americanism is a fact.

I guess too many people see TV as their only form of information, and all the tacky awful shows are seen as portals into the soul of a nation.
I would not want to judge the British based on the British tv they show here in New Zealand. By the way, it seems that NZ broadcasters make a point of showing some of the very worst of American TV, and very little of the better stuff.

I'm not a huge fan of telly, I do watch Friends now and then and think it is quite funny. I never watch any UK soaps. My favourite program at the moment is Deadliest Catch, about crab fishing in the Baring Sea. How sad!
But I dont think peoples opinion is based on TV shows. Its more political surely?
And, no, the US might not show a dislike of Haiti and its dictator unless it had something of value to the US.
Sorry, but look what it's doing to other countires it takes a dislike to!
And Britian, its almost as bad there.
But, the average American being verbally attacked isn't on. Its a shame that you have had to put up with it here.
I did recently watch the video of random Americans being asked about wordly events and them not having a clue. Americans are being targeted a bit.
Old Feb 14th 2007, 2:32 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Apple12
I am afraid that if the anti-americanism in NZ bothers you, then you will find a lot more of it in the rest of the world. I would imagine there aren't too many countries in the world where the USA as a whole is seen as a great friend - maybe Oz?
I agree, I was thinking UK but as I haven't lived there for 4 years I wasn't sure.
Old Feb 14th 2007, 3:59 am
WAS bored stiff in USA

cyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud ofcyndi has much to be proud of

Hmmmm, Well we arrived here 13mths ago from the States. Lived 2 yrs in Colorado (yeah the Rockies are spectacular)& spent the last 15+ yrs in my husbands home State of Nebraska (flat, flat, flat, not many trees & corn fields wherever you turn, totally boring)I'm English by the way but having spent that amount of time in the States I feel as much American as English.

In my opinion so far the South Island has surpassed those two States in every way. We don't watch much TV here, don't want Sky but we think TV is better here than in the US, the commercials are way superior thats for sure. The scenery & stuff to do is way better & as far as my son is concerned what he does with Venturers (Scouts)here they would never have done back there.

I asked my husband & son shortly after we arrived had they encountered any anti-Americanism & I can honestly say they have not. There has been curiosity from Kiwis about the US (well mainly about the glorious leader) but no nastiness. Our son's best mate (kiwi) calls & asks if the daft yank is home, & I admit I gulped a bit when I answered his call the first time, but then my son said Oh it's just that stupid kiwi on the phone. It's just friendly banter on their part.

I also think the weather here is much better no more extremes, summer here is gorgeous when it happens!!!!!!! instead of having 100+ degree F weather with 90% humidity. The winter truly was a doddle even here in mid Canterbury where we were some of the lucky ones who lost power for only 3 days. I'm sure glad I wasn't in Nebraska this winter during the ice storm that brought the State to a standstill for almost a week. The amount of times we could open windows back there could be counted on your fingers, it was either heat going 24/7 or the air conditioning going full blast 24/7

So Weezer I can't compare our part of the States to where you come from but can honestly say New Zealand knocks spots off the part of the States where we come from. We, me & my two Americans love it here.

On another very happy note our daughter serving in the US Army is arriving from Germany in a couple of months for her first holiday here & is so excited, as we are. Now she could tell you about anti-Americanism in Germany if you'd like.:
Old Feb 14th 2007, 4:53 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

... Within a day's drive of the NY city metropolitan
area, there are many, many hikes, and some of then are truly wild and empty.
Actually I've thought about this a bit, and to my surprise I've concluded you're probably right, there is a lack of serious walking to be had within 3 hours of Auckland. Maybe the Coromandel has a bit, or Gt Barrier if you want to take a ferry out there. Is there not anything decent in the Waipoua forests?

I get the idea that there is an almost exclusive Auckland focus on watersports, perhaps to the detriment of land based stuff.

I guess it just goes to show that even within a relatively small country there are some big variances in geography and the recreational opportunities available. Somebody moving to Dunedin could be disappointed in the boating available here, while those in Auckland could be disappointed there are no decent mountains available.

It is a concern I have sometimes had - that immigrants are drawn to NZ often by the South Island type scenery and the recreation that goes with it, but then feel almost compelled to initially move to the North Island because they feel there is a better job market there.

ps I don't think Lonely Planet is written by locals, but please feel free to prove me wrong.
Old Feb 14th 2007, 6:28 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

I think you should substitute 'Auckland' for 'NZ'. My husband is a Kiwi and having spent nearly 13 years in Europe and living in Auckland for nearly 2, he still dreams of going 'home to New Zealand' (he's from Wellington). But for me, Irish, I think Auckland is brilliant. Our house is practically surrounded by reserves and constantly put me in mind of Jurasica - I keep expecting to see a T Rex emerging from the trees And, we live on the Shore - just not the eastern side. Someone recently asked me if we live in a jungle when they'd seen a photo of our house My idea of a hike is getting to the top of our road in the mornings to catch the bus so I'm not qualified to dispute anything you say in that regard.

NZ is not a place for people with a thin skin. Again, being Irish, I get an awful lot of stick but none of it is mean and I can choose whether or not to be offended. I choose NOT. I actually haven't heard a lot of anti-Americanism at all here but maybe that's because it's a hell of a lot stronger in Ireland. I'm no fan of Bush either but I tend to think that the people who've left the US aren't either. You can't tar an entire an entire nation with the same brush.
Old Feb 14th 2007, 8:46 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by southerner
Actually I've thought about this a bit, and to my surprise I've concluded you're probably right, there is a lack of serious walking to be had within 3 hours of Auckland. Maybe the Coromandel has a bit, or Gt Barrier if you want to take a ferry out there. Is there not anything decent in the Waipoua forests?

I get the idea that there is an almost exclusive Auckland focus on watersports, perhaps to the detriment of land based stuff.

I guess it just goes to show that even within a relatively small country there are some big variances in geography and the recreational opportunities available. Somebody moving to Dunedin could be disappointed in the boating available here, while those in Auckland could be disappointed there are no decent mountains available.

It is a concern I have sometimes had - that immigrants are drawn to NZ often by the South Island type scenery and the recreation that goes with it, but then feel almost compelled to initially move to the North Island because they feel there is a better job market there.

ps I don't think Lonely Planet is written by locals, but please feel free to prove me wrong.

I was dragged up and down dale by my barmy parents in the uk Southerner, we walked moors and mountains and often my stupid parents would get us lost and even once followed the water to get us down off a mountain only for it to turn into a waterfall.
I was frightened a lot as a child cos didn't know what the **** they were up to and it sooooo put me off walking even though I still managed to climb all three peaks individually and Skarfell.
Once we found ourselves on a screes (sp) .... there were dead sheep below us that had fallen???!!!
I actually once stood in a dead sheep too ... thought it was a stone in a river and stepped on it, my foot broke through it's flesh and sank into it's rank body and then all the rotten water spilled inside my walking boots
Old Feb 14th 2007, 8:56 am
Victorian Evangelist

Buzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond reputeBuzzy--Bee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sky
I was dragged up and down dale by my barmy parents in the uk Southerner, we walked moors and mountains and often my stupid parents would get us lost and even once followed the water to get us down off a mountain only for it to turn into a waterfall.
I was frightened a lot as a child cos didn't know what the **** they were up to and it sooooo put me off walking even though I still managed to climb all three peaks individually and Skarfell.
Once we found ourselves on a screes (sp) .... there were dead sheep below us that had fallen???!!!
I actually once stood in a dead sheep too ... thought it was a stone in a river and stepped on it, my foot broke through it's flesh and sank into it's rank body and then all the rotten water spilled inside my walking boots
Ahhh the delights of a country upbringing....

Buzzy
Old Feb 14th 2007, 10:31 am
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sky
I hope you haven't been scarred for life (mentally)!
Old Feb 15th 2007, 12:42 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mazi
I hope you haven't been scarred for life (mentally)!
Well I don't like getting lost that's for sure, sends me into an immediate panic, and I don't go country walking either ... not that there much country walking you seem to be able to do on the South Island it's all private land with no access.
Old Feb 15th 2007, 2:23 am
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sky
Well I don't like getting lost that's for sure, sends me into an immediate panic, and I don't go country walking either ... not that there much country walking you seem to be able to do on the South Island it's all private land with no access.
Apart from the National Parks... and the reserves (eg Port Hills, Rakaia Gorge...)... and the beaches... and the 4wd tracks... and the rivers... and a lot of the forestry blocks (eg Hanmer, Bottle Lake)...

Yeh, apart from all that there is nowhere to walk.

Yeah, I know there is not the right of way system that there is in the UK, but I could spend a weekend away doing a different walk within four hours of ChCh and it would take a year to get through it all =)
Old Feb 15th 2007, 5:18 am
sky
Banned

Originally Posted by Apple12
Apart from the National Parks... and the reserves (eg Port Hills, Rakaia Gorge...)... and the beaches... and the 4wd tracks... and the rivers... and a lot of the forestry blocks (eg Hanmer, Bottle Lake)...

Yeh, apart from all that there is nowhere to walk.

Yeah, I know there is not the right of way system that there is in the UK, but I could spend a weekend away doing a different walk within four hours of ChCh and it would take a year to get through it all =)
Oh ok give us a chance, we've only been here three years ya know
No public rights of ways is what I find different and not being able to see a view over folks land because of all the shelter belts ... which I know are vital but I just am voicing the difference that's all.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.