Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Its enough to put you off!

Its enough to put you off!

Old Jan 23rd 2007, 11:59 am
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Its enough to put you off!

People like Branson (I don't know about him specifically) also make sure they are not in the country for more than 60 days a year, therefore exempting them from tax.
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 5:06 pm
Forum Regular

SecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
Yeh, How's thing going for you guys back there? What's the jobs, housing and cost/standard of living areas like?

I know you r just relishing those sausages At least in NZ and UK you can get decent chow chow/picalilli unlike in OZ where its all 'sweet mustard pickles' (makes ya want to puke, all sugar and no bite )
Things are going very well thanks - mrs ss is actually back in nz with baby ss for a three week break so im getting lots of batchelor time in (eating takeaways off paper plates that kind of thing ) and I have to confess its been a few weeks since my last sausage...

Jobs going exceptionally well ..... got a trip to india late last year on a (fruitless) recruitment drive which was cool, and things on the grow so all looking up..... housing is - in no particular order (a) small (i live in an expensive area) (b) warm (c) not a bungaloid in sight .... the cost of living we are finding fine but then we both have decent jobs so its hardly surprising......

... and its just started snowing
Old Jan 23rd 2007, 11:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
Hmm, I'm interested as to what makes you think this is the case? Obviously such people are likely to be asset rich and not cash rich, thus using the tax laws to their advantage, but highly unlikely to pay no tax at all.

Would be lovely!

In a recent article
http://observer.guardian.co.uk/comme...978485,00.html

it was argued how Gordon Brown is afraid to review the favourable UK tax avoidance schemes for fear of scaring off the super wealth.
The idea being that the rich Russians, Arabs etc. use London as their base for investing large wads of cash which bolster the City finances and generally boost the economy, not to mention property prices and luxury shopping.
One method of avoidance is to be a non-resident for tax purposes or register your businesses in another country.

OK this probably doesn't matter when you have just a few rich cats doing it, but with the big increase in super-wealthy in the last twenty years it means us little humans are now carrying more of the burden e.g. inheritance tax on a two bed terrace house!

Kip
Old Jan 26th 2007, 12:21 am
Banned

Dirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to allDirk1971 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by kiwi_child
Yeh, How's thing going for you guys back there? What's the jobs, housing and cost/standard of living areas like?

I know you r just relishing those sausages At least in NZ and UK you can get decent chow chow/picalilli unlike in OZ where its all 'sweet mustard pickles' (makes ya want to puke, all sugar and no bite )
Notice how everything has sugar in it? I think there are only one company that sells fruit juice without all the other crap in it, and they are in woolies.
Old Jan 26th 2007, 1:19 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dirk1971
Notice how everything has sugar in it? I think there are only one company that sells fruit juice without all the other crap in it, and they are in woolies.
It's a real struggle finding food without loads of sugar in it isn't it, the kiwis have quite a sweet tooth. Or us brits have a very savoury one now ... don't know which
Old Jan 26th 2007, 6:56 am
Forum Regular

SecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud ofSecretSquirrel has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sky
It's a real struggle finding food without loads of sugar in it isn't it, the kiwis have quite a sweet tooth. Or us brits have a very savoury one now ... don't know which
i particularly liked the pain au blackicingsugar from "bakers delight" ( )
Old Jan 26th 2007, 8:20 am
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Dirk1971
Um, you can buy Just Juice pretty much everywhere!
Old Jan 26th 2007, 8:32 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dlmckay
Um, you can buy Just Juice pretty much everywhere!
Is it just juice though, will have to look next time I'm shopping. I am so sick of buying stuff with hidden sugar in it that I just don't eat any processed food these days.
Old Jan 26th 2007, 8:54 am
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

Sometimes I really think i must be living in another country to some of you. No fruit juice without added sugar??? We get loads of fresh pure juice. ( or squish our own - thats cheaper anyway)
Old Jan 26th 2007, 9:05 am
sky
Banned

Originally Posted by pixi-dust
Sometimes I really think i must be living in another country to some of you. No fruit juice without added sugar??? We get loads of fresh pure juice. ( or squish our own - thats cheaper anyway)
You do you are on the North Island x
Old Jan 26th 2007, 9:08 am
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sky
Old Jan 26th 2007, 10:13 am
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kippers
In a recent article
http://observer.guardian.co.uk/comme...978485,00.html

it was argued how Gordon Brown is afraid to review the favourable UK tax avoidance schemes for fear of scaring off the super wealth.
The idea being that the rich Russians, Arabs etc. use London as their base for investing large wads of cash which bolster the City finances and generally boost the economy, not to mention property prices and luxury shopping.
One method of avoidance is to be a non-resident for tax purposes or register your businesses in another country.

OK this probably doesn't matter when you have just a few rich cats doing it, but with the big increase in super-wealthy in the last twenty years it means us little humans are now carrying more of the burden e.g. inheritance tax on a two bed terrace house!

Kip
Quite true. Interesting article thanks.
Old Jan 26th 2007, 8:52 pm
Forum Regular

Rustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of lightRustie is a glorious beacon of light

I drink fresh-up which (as it says on the packet!) 'old fashioned apple juice containing; reconstituted apple (100%), flavour (?!!) and Vitamin C (Ascorbic acid).

No added sugar and no preservatives.

And looking at my apple trees it'll be 100% apples and water soon!

Last edited by Rustie; Jan 26th 2007 at 8:55 pm.
Old Jan 26th 2007, 11:53 pm
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by sky
Maybe you are in a different place to ChCh too Sky
bought in Pak and Save (Moorhouse Ave) this morning:
Pam's apple juice, 3L. No preservatives, no added sugar. 100 % apple juice.

I just don't understand some of the complaints that get raised on this board. It just has me beat.
Old Jan 27th 2007, 12:08 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

We mostly buy Fresh-up, Keri or "Ben's" or something. Guess what? None have any added sugar.
Puzzled of Orewa

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.