Reload this Page >

Its all over for us

Its all over for us

Old Jun 15th 2007, 11:08 pm
Just Joined

rickoshea is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Its all over for us

Hi Karen
Sorry about the news, myself. i too needed a job offer before we could come then while here and working could apply for PR. I had a phone inteview set up by an agency last November. All sounded perfect. We were too arrive end Jan, get settled, get the kids into school and start work in March. The work offer was for 2 years and was in the city we were going to live in.
We sell our house and have big leaving party arrive in Auckland only to be told that he has no work in the city. He had lost the contract.
He did however say he may have a job in Taupo soon.(NOT THE REASON I CAME TO NEW ZEALAND TO SLEEP AWAY FROM HOME DURING THE WEEK)
Anyway thought i would have to do it untill PR came through then look for something else. Only trouble was when i rang to start that job as arranged that didn't exsist either.
Why didn't he phone me between Nov and Jan to tell me he had lost the contract. Still looking for the right job for me and that immigration will be happy with. Have a job inteview with someone in 2 weeks. If this falls through 4TH time i think someone is telling me something.
Old Jun 16th 2007, 5:08 am
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rickoshea
Hi Karen
Sorry about the news, myself. i too needed a job offer before we could come then while here and working could apply for PR. I had a phone inteview set up by an agency last November. All sounded perfect. We were too arrive end Jan, get settled, get the kids into school and start work in March. The work offer was for 2 years and was in the city we were going to live in.
We sell our house and have big leaving party arrive in Auckland only to be told that he has no work in the city. He had lost the contract.
He did however say he may have a job in Taupo soon.(NOT THE REASON I CAME TO NEW ZEALAND TO SLEEP AWAY FROM HOME DURING THE WEEK)
Anyway thought i would have to do it untill PR came through then look for something else. Only trouble was when i rang to start that job as arranged that didn't exsist either.
Why didn't he phone me between Nov and Jan to tell me he had lost the contract. Still looking for the right job for me and that immigration will be happy with. Have a job inteview with someone in 2 weeks. If this falls through 4TH time i think someone is telling me something.
What is it you do?
Old Jun 17th 2007, 7:51 am
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute

Your story is just devastating. I'm sure there are no words I could say to ease it for you. So, you didn't sell the house, but who cares, the pain is unbearable I'm sure. My husband was on the other side, i.e, he came over to the UK with NZ qualifications and a Masters. He was treated dreadfully. People not returning calls, or seeming interested and then just disappearing. We were literally on the bones of our arses, finding spare cash down the back of the sofa, to pay for bus fare for him to get to interviews. When he finally got a job, they sacked him (and a few other newbies because of budget cuts), it was just before Christmas, and we knew we'd have nothing to able to buy presents with (for the girls). My husband broke down and cried, like I'd never seen before. Men take things so badly, and its gut wrenching. Out of the blue he got a consultancy position just before xmas which paid really well (it was only temporary for a month), but after that they offered him a permanenet role. By which time he decided that the UK had screwed him over for the last time, and we decided to leave. But it wasn't easy for a long time. I won't bore you with the details, but after more set backs, we finally ended up in NZ. Its been tough, but you don't realise how much progress you've made until you look back. I firmly believe that when one door closes, another opens. It seems to have been that way for us for the last couple of years. I feel so dreadful for you, for the shear bitter disappointment that you all are experiencing. Don't give up the dream though, if setting up in a new country is still your dream. Although your experience is totally soul destroying, most expats have some horror stories, but we fight on because we don't want to lose the dream. It is possible, and you sound like such a strong person.

Chin up, and when you hear all the cliches that usually accompany misfortune - realise that most of them are actually true!
Old Jun 17th 2007, 8:06 pm
Cornish Lass

Marika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to beholdMarika 38 is a splendid one to behold

Hi Karen and Family,
have just come onto site after few days being away and read your thread, I'm so sorry this has happened to you all, its understandably devastating after all the ups and downs of the beginnings of the whole emigration process, we get ourselves all worked up and excited and then to be let down in such a manner and so abruptly is unforgivable. But it sounds as if the opportunity in Horticulture could open up a whole lot more opportunities, so thats something to really focus on now, and although you feel like now you wouldn't want to go through the process again, searching for jobs etc, in time you will again and next time I'm sure it will be different Keep the Dream alive.
Best Wishes Marika
Old Jun 25th 2007, 7:41 am
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Karen

Just flicking back through the pages and wondered how you both were and what the future is holding for you now you've had time to reflect on things??
Old Jun 25th 2007, 9:06 am

Lenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to beholdLenmil is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Littletoe
Your story is just devastating. I'm sure there are no words I could say to ease it for you. So, you didn't sell the house, but who cares, the pain is unbearable I'm sure. My husband was on the other side, i.e, he came over to the UK with NZ qualifications and a Masters. He was treated dreadfully. People not returning calls, or seeming interested and then just disappearing. We were literally on the bones of our arses, finding spare cash down the back of the sofa, to pay for bus fare for him to get to interviews. When he finally got a job, they sacked him (and a few other newbies because of budget cuts), it was just before Christmas, and we knew we'd have nothing to able to buy presents with (for the girls). My husband broke down and cried, like I'd never seen before. Men take things so badly, and its gut wrenching. Out of the blue he got a consultancy position just before xmas which paid really well (it was only temporary for a month), but after that they offered him a permanenet role. By which time he decided that the UK had screwed him over for the last time, and we decided to leave. But it wasn't easy for a long time. I won't bore you with the details, but after more set backs, we finally ended up in NZ. Its been tough, but you don't realise how much progress you've made until you look back. I firmly believe that when one door closes, another opens. It seems to have been that way for us for the last couple of years. I feel so dreadful for you, for the shear bitter disappointment that you all are experiencing. Don't give up the dream though, if setting up in a new country is still your dream. Although your experience is totally soul destroying, most expats have some horror stories, but we fight on because we don't want to lose the dream. It is possible, and you sound like such a strong person.

Chin up, and when you hear all the cliches that usually accompany misfortune - realise that most of them are actually true!
Great post, thanks for sharing. We had similar here in the UK when we came back from NZ. Got almost the same treatment (we are UK citizens) shunned by people we thought were behind us. They hated us for trying and loved it because it went wrong. It's not a country that has a go at you, it's crap people and they are every where. It's a true saying mind you, one door closes and another one opens. Good luck to you and to any one who try's it.