Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

It's all about me (not) Marmite

It's all about me (not) Marmite

Old May 25th 2011, 9:56 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute
Default It's all about me (not) Marmite

I read this story in the Herald and found it just hilarious. A prime example of sloppy journalism, picking up a story from a press agency and assuming some Kiwi connectioni.

Denmark has apparently banned Marmite. Really? A slow news day again? I wonder how could this be of any interest to anyone in NZ?

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news...ectid=10727958

That would no doubt be the same 'banned' substance imported into NZ repackaged and rebranded as OurMate.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti....html?ITO=1490

Also it seems that Denmark has picked up that harsh old Kiwi mantra

Earlier this year, the Danish immigration minister, Søren Pind, said foreigners should "assimilate" or leave
One expat said:

"If they want to take my Marmite off me they'll have to wrench it from my cold dead hands."
The lengths some people would go to for a fix. Anyone who feeds this stuff to their kids should be warned about the addictive properties of the product and the possible withdrawal symptoms that could potentially ruin their life and future happiness.

Last edited by Bo-Jangles; May 25th 2011 at 10:17 am.
Old May 25th 2011, 11:03 am
BE Enthusiast

florabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond reputeflorabundi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: It's all about me (not) Marmite

It does taste good on toast though! Marmite crisps are great too. Looks like I need to start weaning myself off gradually!
Old May 25th 2011, 11:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by florabundi
It does taste good on toast though! Marmite crisps are great too. Looks like I need to start weaning myself off gradually!
Marmite is one of the world's richest sources of B vitamins, containing five of them (Thiamin, Riboflavin, Niacin, Folate and B12).

http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/fo...id-off-Marmite

Have you tried it with chips in a fresh bread roll. When I was a small child we used to spread it on a slice of Granny Smith apple.
Old May 25th 2011, 11:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by florabundi

NZ Marmite and UK Marmite are world's apart, but fear not you can get Ourmate which is UK Marmite (same jar and everything), just a different name). Sadly no Marmite crisps or Twiglets unless you're willing to donate arms and legs at the English food shops.
Old May 25th 2011, 2:24 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Can't stand the stuff whichever Country it's from However, it is very good for preventing mosquito bites. They don't like it either
Old May 25th 2011, 7:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

It made the news on BBC as well, even though we have Obama here at the mo! Youngest took a HUGE jar with him went he left for NZ last month - still a bit left! We did try the NZ version and it just isn't the same - not shiny and black but a dull brown sorry but it's got to be proper Marmite. Didn't know about Ourmate though Got to love the Marmite!!!
Old May 26th 2011, 7:51 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

It just stuns me, I heard it on the radio tonight how Denmark has banned the 'Iconic New Zealand brand Marmite' - yeah right, whatever!!

They even had an interview with the CEO of NZ Marmite about what a sad day it was for NZ That'll now be at the end of that very long line of things 'stolen' from NZ and another excuse for the fall in GDP.

I am sure that the people of Denmark dont actually even know that there is another NZ version of Marmite.
Old May 27th 2011, 6:20 am

Woodpigeon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
Can't stand the stuff whichever Country it's from However, it is very good for preventing mosquito bites. They don't like it either
I have to ask - do you eat the marmite or rub it on your skin to repel the mosquitos?
Old May 27th 2011, 6:49 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Woodpigeon
I have to ask - do you eat the marmite or rub it on your skin to repel the mosquitos?
Rub it on your skin of course

I want to see if anyone actually does that It's the odour that issues forth from your skin when you've eaten it regularly that puts the mozzies off apparently
Old May 27th 2011, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

rick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant futurerick78 has a brilliant future

I love marmite and shall be packing some for my move down under! Vegemite just doesn't do it for me.

Oddles of butter and marmite on a crumpt... om nom nom
Old May 29th 2011, 11:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by rick78
I love marmite and shall be packing some for my move down under! Vegemite just doesn't do it for me.

Oddles of butter and marmite on a crumpt... om nom nom
Im with ya there Rick.. Steaming hot too eh..

As Bo-jangles said, it's called "ourmate" here, dont confuse the uk stuff as being the same here mate.. Its propa rubbish...
Old May 30th 2011, 5:38 am
Forum Regular

JenR is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
NZ Marmite and UK Marmite are world's apart, but fear not you can get Ourmate which is UK Marmite (same jar and everything), just a different name). Sadly no Marmite crisps or Twiglets unless you're willing to donate arms and legs at the English food shops.
Ooh I haven't seen Ourmate anywhere, and am v.homesick for UK marmite! where have you found it?? ta! x
Old May 30th 2011, 5:43 am

Woodpigeon is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JenR
Ooh I haven't seen Ourmate anywhere, and am v.homesick for UK marmite! where have you found it?? ta! x
Next to Vegemite and 'Marmite' in Countdown, I think in the same area as peanut butter etc. Or in the International Food aisle in New World. Be warned it's not cheap - think I paid nearly $5 for the smallest jar last time I bought some
Old May 30th 2011, 6:00 am
Forum Regular

JenR is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Woodpigeon
Next to Vegemite and 'Marmite' in Countdown, I think in the same area as peanut butter etc. Or in the International Food aisle in New World. Be warned it's not cheap - think I paid nearly $5 for the smallest jar last time I bought some
thought I hadn't seen it in pak'n'save

might treat myself one day soon! x
Old May 30th 2011, 6:23 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

I much prefer Vegemite after 4+ years of it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.