British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   It's all about me (not) Marmite (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/its-all-about-me-not-marmite-718370/)

Bo-Jangles May 25th 2011 9:56 am

It's all about me (not) Marmite

I read this story in the Herald and found it just hilarious. A prime example of sloppy journalism, picking up a story from a press agency and assuming some Kiwi connectioni. :rofl:

Denmark has apparently banned Marmite. Really? A slow news day again? I wonder how could this be of any interest to anyone in NZ?

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/world/news...ectid=10727958

That would no doubt be the same 'banned' substance imported into NZ repackaged and rebranded as OurMate. :rofl:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti....html?ITO=1490

Also it seems that Denmark has picked up that harsh old Kiwi mantra

Earlier this year, the Danish immigration minister, Søren Pind, said foreigners should "assimilate" or leave
One expat said:

"If they want to take my Marmite off me they'll have to wrench it from my cold dead hands."
The lengths some people would go to for a fix. :rofl: Anyone who feeds this stuff to their kids should be warned about the addictive properties of the product and the possible withdrawal symptoms that could potentially ruin their life and future happiness. :rofl:

:rofl:

florabundi May 25th 2011 11:03 am

Re: It's all about me (not) Marmite

:D It does taste good on toast though! Marmite crisps are great too. Looks like I need to start weaning myself off gradually!

Bellasmum May 25th 2011 11:12 am

Originally Posted by florabundi (Post 9386776)
:D It does taste good on toast though! Marmite crisps are great too. Looks like I need to start weaning myself off gradually!

Marmite is one of the world's richest sources of B vitamins, containing five of them (Thiamin, Riboflavin, Niacin, Folate and B12).

http://www.stuff.co.nz/life-style/fo...id-off-Marmite

Have you tried it with chips in a fresh bread roll. When I was a small child we used to spread it on a slice of Granny Smith apple.

Bo-Jangles May 25th 2011 11:40 am

Originally Posted by florabundi (Post 9386776)

NZ Marmite and UK Marmite are world's apart, but fear not you can get Ourmate which is UK Marmite (same jar and everything), just a different name). Sadly no Marmite crisps or Twiglets unless you're willing to donate arms and legs at the English food shops.

scrubbedexpat094 May 25th 2011 2:24 pm

Can't stand the stuff whichever Country it's from :p However, it is very good for preventing mosquito bites. They don't like it either ;)

chippy64 May 25th 2011 7:54 pm

It made the news on BBC as well, even though we have Obama here at the mo! Youngest took a HUGE jar with him went he left for NZ last month - still a bit left! :thumbsup: We did try the NZ version and it just isn't the same - not shiny and black but a dull brown :( sorry but it's got to be proper Marmite. Didn't know about Ourmate though :thumbup: Got to love the Marmite!!!:p

Bo-Jangles May 26th 2011 7:51 am

It just stuns me, I heard it on the radio tonight how Denmark has banned the 'Iconic New Zealand brand Marmite' - yeah right, whatever!!

They even had an interview with the CEO of NZ Marmite about what a sad day it was for NZ :rofl: That'll now be at the end of that very long line of things 'stolen' from NZ and another excuse for the fall in GDP.

I am sure that the people of Denmark dont actually even know that there is another NZ version of Marmite. :blink:

Woodpigeon May 27th 2011 6:20 am

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix (Post 9387204)
Can't stand the stuff whichever Country it's from :p However, it is very good for preventing mosquito bites. They don't like it either ;)

I have to ask - do you eat the marmite or rub it on your skin to repel the mosquitos? :unsure:

scrubbedexpat094 May 27th 2011 6:49 am

Originally Posted by Woodpigeon (Post 9391115)
I have to ask - do you eat the marmite or rub it on your skin to repel the mosquitos? :unsure:

Rub it on your skin of course :)

I want to see if anyone actually does that :sneaky: It's the odour that issues forth from your skin when you've eaten it regularly that puts the mozzies off apparently :cool:

rick78 May 27th 2011 12:13 pm

I love marmite and shall be packing some for my move down under! Vegemite just doesn't do it for me.

Oddles of butter and marmite on a crumpt... om nom nom

Wessa May 29th 2011 11:12 pm

Originally Posted by rick78 (Post 9391529)
I love marmite and shall be packing some for my move down under! Vegemite just doesn't do it for me.

Oddles of butter and marmite on a crumpt... om nom nom

Im with ya there Rick.. Steaming hot too eh..

As Bo-jangles said, it's called "ourmate" here, dont confuse the uk stuff as being the same here mate.. Its propa rubbish... :rofl:

JenR May 30th 2011 5:38 am

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles (Post 9386840)
NZ Marmite and UK Marmite are world's apart, but fear not you can get Ourmate which is UK Marmite (same jar and everything), just a different name). Sadly no Marmite crisps or Twiglets unless you're willing to donate arms and legs at the English food shops.

Ooh I haven't seen Ourmate anywhere, and am v.homesick for UK marmite! where have you found it?? ta! x

Woodpigeon May 30th 2011 5:43 am

Originally Posted by JenR (Post 9396689)
Ooh I haven't seen Ourmate anywhere, and am v.homesick for UK marmite! where have you found it?? ta! x

Next to Vegemite and 'Marmite' in Countdown, I think in the same area as peanut butter etc. Or in the International Food aisle in New World. Be warned it's not cheap - think I paid nearly $5 for the smallest jar last time I bought some :eek:

JenR May 30th 2011 6:00 am

Originally Posted by Woodpigeon (Post 9396702)
Next to Vegemite and 'Marmite' in Countdown, I think in the same area as peanut butter etc. Or in the International Food aisle in New World. Be warned it's not cheap - think I paid nearly $5 for the smallest jar last time I bought some :eek:

thought I hadn't seen it in pak'n'save ;)

might treat myself one day soon! x

Am Loolah May 30th 2011 6:23 am

I much prefer Vegemite after 4+ years of it.:p