IRD Number

Old Jul 16th 2005, 7:17 am

bookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to behold
Default IRD Number

Just been going through some online checklists for the move to NZ and one of them says that you can get your IRD number whilst still in the UK. I assume, that as we're going on visitors' visas in the first place, without jobs, that we can't? Anyone with any experience in this? And if not, how do you get one when you're in NZ?
Old Jul 16th 2005, 8:08 am
Kiwi livin' and lovin' it

Location: Was England. Then Germany.Tried Spain. NZ now and NOT moving!
the turner family has a brilliant futurethe turner family has a brilliant futurethe turner family has a brilliant futurethe turner family has a brilliant futurethe turner family has a brilliant futurethe turner family has a brilliant future
Default Re: IRD Number

Originally Posted by bookemjano
Just been going through some online checklists for the move to NZ and one of them says that you can get your IRD number whilst still in the UK. I assume, that as we're going on visitors' visas in the first place, without jobs, that we can't? Anyone with any experience in this? And if not, how do you get one when you're in NZ?
Hi Jan,

When you start work in NZ you should register with your local IRD office, who will issue you with an IDR number. To apply for your IRD no you need to complete an IRD form and send a copy of your passport. (www.ird.govt.nz) IRD numbers are usually issued within 5 working days.

Info courtesy of our 'Living and Working in New Zealand' by Mark Hempshell book. Hope this helps!

Andrea and Matt
Old Jul 16th 2005, 9:46 am
Just Joined

sadie33138 will become famous soon enough

I had to get one when I got here and I was on a visitors visa at the time. Go to their website: www.ird.govt.nz All the info you need is there, plus if you email them, they answer. HTH
Old Jul 16th 2005, 9:49 am
Forum Regular

cornerofsilence has a spectacular aura aboutcornerofsilence has a spectacular aura aboutcornerofsilence has a spectacular aura about
Smile Re: IRD Number

Originally Posted by bookemjano
You can get it even if you go as a visitor, we did in fact that is how we went to NZ. Got a work permit when we arrived. Husband is a skilled worker.

Regards
Old Jul 16th 2005, 9:51 am

bookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to beholdbookemjano is a splendid one to behold

Thanks everyone, one more query I can cross off my list. This forum is brilliant!
Old Jul 16th 2005, 12:07 pm
Don't let me get me....

Pinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by the turner family
Hi Jan,

When you start work in NZ you should register with your local IRD office, who will issue you with an IDR number. To apply for your IRD no you need to complete an IRD form and send a copy of your passport. (www.ird.govt.nz) IRD numbers are usually issued within 5 working days.

Info courtesy of our 'Living and Working in New Zealand' by Mark Hempshell book. Hope this helps!

Andrea and Matt
Very useful info...would you copy that post into the really useful thread as it's one of the things that most of us will need when we get to NZ???...just a thought....
Old Jul 16th 2005, 9:36 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

Just one more thing to add re obtaining an ird number in NZ. Im pretty sure that in order to open a bank account in NZ one must provide the bank with an ird number. If thats changed since I left Im sure someone will correct me but thats how it worked when I last opened an account in NZ
Old Jul 16th 2005, 11:38 pm
Just Joined

sadie33138 will become famous soon enough

You are right, you need this for a bank account, at least that was the reason I needed one right away after I arrived in NZ.
Old Jul 17th 2005, 10:12 am
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sadie33138
You are right, you need this for a bank account, at least that was the reason I needed one right away after I arrived in NZ.
We've already opened our NZ bank account - I'll activate it if I ever get over there. We don't need an IRD number to do so.
Old Jul 17th 2005, 3:33 pm
Mrs Shep USCIS Graduate

shepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond reputeshepslady has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biddy
We've already opened our NZ bank account - I'll activate it if I ever get over there. We don't need an IRD number to do so.
No maybe you didnt but when your residing in NZ you will have to provide them with an IRD number for tax purposes.