Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

"The Investigator" TVNZ, last night.

"The Investigator" TVNZ, last night.

Old Oct 26th 2007, 1:19 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: "The Investigator" TVNZ, last night.

No Avid. I didn't see this programme.

From what is written in these posts it would seem the couple may not changed spots. If they had, wouldn't they choose to steer clear of anything to do with children? There are plenty of retails businesses out there.
Old Oct 26th 2007, 2:18 am
BE Enthusiast

Kippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of light

It's drawing a very long bow to call it a children's toy shop because it sells old teddy-bears and dolls among all the others second-hand stuff in the window.
Old teddies are almost exclusively collected by old gits.
Children aren't interested in this stuff, preferring 'all-new gizmo and wiz-bang' stuff that abounds today.

As the psychologist said; the man is not a threat, as re-offending by men in their late 60's is rare.
He had one conviction for one incident that occurred while his wife was in prison ten years ago, for which he received a short sentence.

The woman is more of a risk as she was found guilty of causing the deaths of two babies in her care (probably Munchausen's-by-Proxy).
You certainly wouldn't ask her to baby-sit for you, and this was the emphasis of the program as she hadn't shown any remorse or admission of guilt.

Anyway. The "Investigator" achieved his aim.
Everyone in the "Lower North Island Town" where they live will now know exactly who they are, and their business will be finished. The shop was clearly shown several times.

Avid.
The mother said in exclamation, shock and upset "oh you little tart, not you too, don't do this to me" or words to that effect.
Anyway, that was the meaning I took from it.

Kip
Old Oct 26th 2007, 2:37 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Avid
I don't think there would have been much of a programme if it was just an antiques shop..
Never a truer word....
Old Oct 26th 2007, 3:41 am
Winter hibernator

Ted Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to beholdTed Logan is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Kippers

Avid.
The mother said in exclamation, shock and upset "oh you little tart, not you too, don't do this to me" or words to that effect.

Kip
So really it was her pet name, like calling your kids "little piggies" or "monkeys".
Old Oct 26th 2007, 7:30 am

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kippers
It's drawing a very long bow to call it a children's toy shop because it sells old teddy-bears and dolls among all the others second-hand stuff in the window.

(edit)

You certainly wouldn't ask her to baby-sit for you, and this was the emphasis of the program as she hadn't shown any remorse or admission of guilt.

Anyway. The "Investigator" achieved his aim.
Everyone in the "Lower North Island Town" where they live will now know exactly who they are, and their business will be finished. The shop was clearly shown several times.

Avid.

Kip
You've either got much better eyesight than me or you actually know the place. I wouldn't have been able to draw the conclusions you've made about the shop just from watching the programme alone.

Is it right to infer that the 'Lower North Island Town' is in fact the exact same one that they lived in when the crimes occured? If so, than I suppose we can assume that everyone knows who they are. Hope so, anyway.

You certainly give the impression, Kipper, that you are more worried that they might lose their shop than that they might kill again...

But, again, they've done their time in prison and have been punished.

Hmmmmm.......but I'd still like to think somebody was keeping an eye on them.

Last edited by Avid; Oct 26th 2007 at 7:34 am.
Old Oct 26th 2007, 7:45 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

'Tart' is used in a different sense here. It's a bit like 'fanny' in the US - which I don't think I'll ever get used to

I heard a great woman on Newstalk yesterday - she was molested by a friend of her parents when she was 8 (she sounded like she could be in her 50s/60s now) and when she told her parents they didn't believe her so she 'roared' at them while he was in their yard and then threw missiles at his car so in the end the parents DID believe her - she was so adamant there was no way they couldn't.
Old Oct 26th 2007, 7:54 am

Avid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond reputeAvid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Batty
'Tart' is used in a different sense here. It's a bit like 'fanny' in the US - which I don't think I'll ever get used to
Arse??

Well...the British have become sickeningly sentimental in the last few years but any mother who calls her dying baby an 'arse' is hardcore!
Old Oct 26th 2007, 9:35 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Arse??

Well...the British have become sickeningly sentimental in the last few years but any mother who calls her dying baby an 'arse' is hardcore!
Where did 'arse' come from You said 'tart' - stamps foot and goes off to look at the rest of the thread because I've obviously missed something
Old Oct 26th 2007, 9:42 am

Originally Posted by Batty
Where did 'arse' come from You said 'tart' - stamps foot and goes off to look at the rest of the thread because I've obviously missed something

you said that NZ 'tart' was USA 'fanny'

USA 'fanny' is UK "arse"
Old Oct 26th 2007, 9:52 am
By name and by nature

you said that NZ 'tart' was USA 'fanny'

USA 'fanny' is UK "arse"
haha ROFl NO I didn't - I meant the USA/UK version - I was comparing the difference in meaning on that particular word.
Old Oct 26th 2007, 10:55 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Interested !
From what I hear here Tart has the same slang meaning as in the UK. One down from a Slapper.
Fanny has the US of A meaning , female Bum or Arse.
Old Oct 26th 2007, 7:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

Kippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of lightKippers is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by BEVS here
Interested !
From what I hear here Tart has the same slang meaning as in the UK. One down from a Slapper.
Fanny has the US of A meaning , female Bum or Arse.

"Come here you little tart" (my wife says 'tartlet') is used as a term of endearment in NZ (for young girls).

Kip

Last edited by Kippers; Oct 26th 2007 at 7:53 pm.
Old Oct 26th 2007, 11:44 pm
Account Closed

Dustybin is an unknown quantity at this point

I watched it, and without getting into the rights and wrongs of what should happen to people like this, the facts I took from the programme are these.

The couple were found guilty of separate crimes against small children. One for manslaughter and the other for indecent assault, I think.

Neither have been in any trouble with the police since they were released.

One of them (the wife guilty of manslaughter of the two babies) owns a shop which has a display of toys in one window. There was no context made to the size of this window in relation to the rest of the shop or any detail as to the type of toys, whether they were antiques or new that sort of thing. No new information was given on an old case. There was no information given as to which of them actually worked in the shop or whether it was staffed.

So i found out from the programme that an old couple with a criminal records own a shop that sells tat....