Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

A question for the ladies....

A question for the ladies....

Old Oct 25th 2007, 1:58 pm
Forum Regular

Here comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really nice
Thumbs down A question for the ladies....

Hi,
Ive just booked medicals for my family in November on the letter from the surgery they ask you to bring your latest smear test results.

Ive never had one, will this affect the medical? Do you need one before they do the medical?

Im starting to panick now because if I do need to have one for the medical there wont be enough time to get the results! :curse:
Old Oct 25th 2007, 2:50 pm
aka Mandie.H

11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: A question for the ladies....

Originally Posted by Here comes the sun
Hi,
Ive just booked medicals for my family in November on the letter from the surgery they ask you to bring your latest smear test results.

Ive never had one, will this affect the medical? Do you need one before they do the medical?

Im starting to panick now because if I do need to have one for the medical there wont be enough time to get the results! :curse:
You've NEVER had one
Don't panic you've got time...book yourself into your practice nurse or dr for one to be done ASAP and then ask for a copy of the results which you can add to your medicals!

You really should be having them done between 3-5 years depending on your drs guidelines...but shouldn't be leaving it longer than 5 years.

Don't put it off any longer...sorry i'll take my medical hat off now
cyber hugs to youMandie
Old Oct 25th 2007, 3:00 pm
Forum Regular

McGowans is just really niceMcGowans is just really niceMcGowans is just really niceMcGowans is just really niceMcGowans is just really niceMcGowans is just really niceMcGowans is just really niceMcGowans is just really niceMcGowans is just really niceMcGowans is just really nice

I had mine a couple of weeks ago and was told it would take 6 weeks til the results were received. You might want to ask them if there is a way of speeding the results up - assuming your health authority runs on the same time scales.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 4:21 pm
Forum Regular

Here comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really niceHere comes the sun is just really nice

I no the guidelines have changed so you dont need the first one until you are 25 so im only a year out but i do keep putting off!

I will definately make an appointment, I was just hoping it wasnt essential for the medical as we will have to re-arrange everything and time is running out!
Old Oct 25th 2007, 5:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

littleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of lightlittleal is a glorious beacon of light

I don't think it is essential for the medical but it will raise questions. I was just asked if I'd ever had any abnormal findings in my smears. If you say you've never had one, you'll get asked why not. Maybe they will take pity on you and do it for you

Good luck
Alison
Old Oct 25th 2007, 8:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really niceWilma & co is just really nice

I'd get one done at your usual surgery and if they ask at the medical, you can say that you've had it done and are waiting for the results. If they really want the result they can either chase it themselves (not very likely!) or you could forward the results when you get them. As you are a mere youngster(!), I don't think they'll put so much emphasis on it - if you were 40+ I think they'd be a bit more concerned. I can't even remember being asked about my smear results (and I'm 40+!) - but then we had our medicals over 2 years ago and sometimes I forget what happened yesterday!
Don't panic, get one done and play it by ear on the day of the medicals - bet you a glass of Sauv blanc that they don't blink an eyelid!!
Alison
Old Oct 25th 2007, 9:06 pm
Susie..

Andrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond reputeAndrew Cross has a reputation beyond repute

That must be a new thing. I never got asked for any results when we had ours two years ago. Mind you its something I haven't done since Ive been here so maybe I should be getting myself off to the doctors pronto...
Old Oct 25th 2007, 9:10 pm
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute

That's weird. When I had my medical the Doc told me that they USED to ask for smear tests and breast checks! But I was not asked for my smear results, unless one of the questions was about whether I'd had an unusual result. Mind you, I'd had a daughter a few months ago, so maybe that's why they didn't ask. Have a look at the immigration website, you can print off the forms you need for the medical and you can see what they are going to ask/check. Different countries need different things, so maybe they just wanted to cover all bases.
Old Oct 25th 2007, 10:19 pm
aka Mandie.H

11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light11ThousandMilesFromHome is a glorious beacon of light

OMG thing have changed...Not needing your first smear til 25...that's a real turnaround!

I had a hysterectomy when i was 28 so it's been more than 11 years since i had one done.

I also was an assistant practice nurse 5 years ago and it was basically you had a smear once you were sexually active...although we once sent a letter to a nun
Old Oct 25th 2007, 10:46 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by 11ThousandMilesFromHome
...although we once sent a letter to a nun
Old Oct 26th 2007, 5:11 am
BE Enthusiast

nero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by littleal
I don't think it is essential for the medical but it will raise questions. I was just asked if I'd ever had any abnormal findings in my smears. If you say you've never had one, you'll get asked why not. Maybe they will take pity on you and do it for you

Good luck
Alison
I had not had one for many years prior to my medical. I was asked at the medical if I had ever had any abnormal findings and I just said no! They never asked any more. Our medical was brief and the Dr really did not really care the onus was on us answering the questions not him pushing the point!
Old Oct 26th 2007, 7:28 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

I believe it wasn't required until the new rules came in. I didn't need one and I'm really, really past the time when I should have had another. I keep putting it off - mad, cos we'd be the first to tell our husbands/partners they should be having their prostrate checked or whatever.
Old Oct 26th 2007, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

Its just so invasive i wish they would hurry up and find a new way of testing for it!!!
I should no better (being a nurse) and I wouldnt think twice if i had to carry out smears on other people , so i guess i will have to go for it and assume the position!!
Old Oct 26th 2007, 8:48 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Here comes the sun
Its just so invasive i wish they would hurry up and find a new way of testing for it!!!
I should no better (being a nurse) and I wouldnt think twice if i had to carry out smears on other people , so i guess i will have to go for it and assume the position!!
Good luck with that! Invasive is the word!

My thought for the day -

"I'm too blessed to be stressed"!
Old Oct 26th 2007, 9:07 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

We had our medicals beginning of May this year. Doc didn't even ask me about smear test/results. Wasn't asked when last one was done. And didn't need breast exam as doc said that was only required if indicated on the past med history. Don't know if rules have changed since then.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.