Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

An interesting Question

An interesting Question

Old Dec 9th 2007, 12:39 pm
Bouncer For Mothercare

wimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of lightwimpy is a glorious beacon of light
Default An interesting Question

Mrs wimpy and myself were talking about our impending move to NZ. She came up with a couple of interesting points, as neither of us are on the skills required list should i find work and gain a work permit how long are the permits valid for and would we be able to renew them when they come to an end. And how would this affect our children and there future plans. By this I mean presuming 5 years down the road my daughter has skills of her own that would be needed would that help our cause to PR as her parents. As usual your help and advice is much appreciated
Old Dec 9th 2007, 6:02 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: An interesting Question

Originally Posted by wimpy
She came up with a couple of interesting points, as neither of us are on the skills required list should i find work and gain a work permit how long are the permits valid for and would we be able to renew them when they come to an end.
As far as I am aware the longest that a work permit can be valid for is three years. To get the three year work permit you would have to have over three-and-a-half years left on your passport. You would also need medicals and police clearances along with the usual stuff like job offer, qualifications, etc.
As far as renewals go, you should be able to renew indefinitely as long as you meet the criteria for being issued work permits.
And how would this affect our children and there future plans.
If your children are dependents they will continue to get student permits if they are of school age. Do be aware that if you are here on work permits your children will be dinged for full international fees if they should decide to attend a polytechnic or university.

By this I mean presuming 5 years down the road my daughter has skills of her own that would be needed would that help our cause to PR as her parents. As usual your help and advice is much appreciated
Yes, if your daughter qualifies for and receives permanent residency she will be able to sponsor you after the requisite three year wait after she gets PR.

Good luck wimpy & co.
Old Dec 9th 2007, 8:07 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

As far as I know you can just keep renewing your work visas. Some I know have been here 9 years or so and do just that. NZIS changes its criteria frequently so you never know you could end up on the skilled list at some stage. We came out on 3 yr WTR visas and had no problems getting a mortgage or car loan. We now have PR.
Old Dec 9th 2007, 8:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to beholdWessa is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo
We came out on 3 yr WTR visas and had no problems getting a mortgage or car loan. We now have PR.
Im going to go for a wtr visa too. so what visa's do my oh need and MY two kids ?(8 & 13) Also when i apply for my wtr visa can i apply for all theirs at the same time too?
Thanks TE .
Old Dec 9th 2007, 9:52 pm
Forum Regular

beaudixon is a jewel in the roughbeaudixon is a jewel in the roughbeaudixon is a jewel in the roughbeaudixon is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Wessa
Im going to go for a wtr visa too. so what visa's do my oh need and MY two kids ?(8 & 13) Also when i apply for my wtr visa can i apply for all theirs at the same time too?
Thanks TE .
when you complete your visa form it asks about spouse and dependant children, you all get completed on 1 form (but 4 fees due still!) spouse can have a work visa on the back of your visa and children get student visas.