Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Interested to hear if many have moved to NZ to work at 48+?

Interested to hear if many have moved to NZ to work at 48+?

Old Oct 31st 2021, 4:58 pm
Just Joined

Yojimbo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Interested to hear if many have moved to NZ to work at 48+?

Hi,
Had a feeling to try a move to NZ many times in my life. But for various reason it just never happened. One reason was fear I guess of the unknown.
I really have a strong urge at 48 to try it. I have a Kiwi friend I have known for years ( (Southland ) and was interested if anybody at my age group had made this leap?

Old Nov 1st 2021, 6:22 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Interested to hear if many have moved to NZ to work at 48+?

Originally Posted by Yojimbo
Hi,
Had a feeling to try a move to NZ many times in my life. But for various reason it just never happened. One reason was fear I guess of the unknown.
I really have a strong urge at 48 to try it. I have a Kiwi friend I have known for years ( (Southland ) and was interested if anybody at my age group had made this leap?
Sorry . I did see your post but first chance I've had.

Yes ! We emigrated to New Zealand when I was knocking 50 & my husband was 45. No kids . Just us. We'd been married about 10 years when we took the plunge.

Like you I had always had the urge to try for something else & like you the practicalities of life got in the way but one day we just looked up and decided to go for it which we did.

Now, you will read that I have been more than ready to make another move and I have been for years but I do not regret taking that plunge.
Old Nov 1st 2021, 7:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

I came 13 years ago, at 45. Its been a journey of ups and downs and I've moved around a wee bit, including changing islands.
I've gone from being a confirmed city dweller in the UK, to now living in a tiny farming community service town of less than 500 people. I doubt I'll ever move far from where I am now, maybe it's the weather down here in the south that reminds me of Manchester and home 🌧️
moving in later life can come with issues. We tend to be more set in our ways, and adapting to change can be stressful. Quite often the homesickness is too strong and people return to blighty which can carry a heavy financial burden. I can't comment on southland, I only ever visit Invercargill about 2 or 3 times a year, but some of the rural areas around it are very pretty.
Its important to remember, NZ is not similar to the UK in any way. It has its own very distinct way of life and values. We simply share a language.

Last edited by Justcol; Nov 1st 2021 at 7:52 pm.
Old Nov 1st 2021, 8:49 pm
Just Joined

Hetts is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,
We moved in our mid forties with our two daughters who had finished their secondary education. We knew no one here. It depends on why you would want to move to the other side of the world and what you would do if you happened to not like it.

We are still here some 15 years later, although I am now looking at returning home to Scotland. Family and life events lead us to view what is important differently over time.

Happy to answer any specific questions
Cheers
Old Nov 17th 2021, 12:56 am
BE Forum Addict

sr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond reputesr71 has a reputation beyond repute

On the positive front, I’ve found that the NZ job market doesn’t seem particularly ageist, so getting work should be relatively easy
Old Nov 17th 2021, 1:01 am
Just Joined

Hetts is an unknown quantity at this point

I would agree that overall not particularly ageist, and certainly not in healthcare.