Reload this Page >

If you had the chance...

If you had the chance...

Old May 21st 2009, 2:30 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: If you had the chance...

Originally Posted by TM09
Hi there,

Well last year we were given that chance and decided to go back. We had only been in NZ for about 18 months when this opportunity came up.

It was by no means an easy decision, endless sleepless nights and what ifs.

We both had good jobs here, the kids were settled at school, but all in all we thought, well we can always come back if we don't like it.

Within weeks of going back we were really beginning to regret it. I couldn't believe how so much had changed in such a small space of time. We went back to a small village in Scotland.

Drunk teenagers on buses, hoodies and neds standing around the shops (very intimidating), total lack of respect - my daughter used to get a school bus on many occasion she came home late, due to the kids on the bus throwing things at the driver. The driver going to the police station and refusing to take the kids home. There was a school uniform,.... but it was not enforced... they basically wore what they liked, to be honest her education was suffering terribly. She would come home and say she hated the school, she doesn't learn anything the teachers can't get the class to be quite etc etc...

One other thing that is really interesting from a teenagers perspective, they go around in mixed groups here, where the boys actually take the time to talk to the girls, hang out together, go bowling, cinema etc etc. Where in the UK that would never happen, I don't think she had even one decent conversation with any boys in her class at all!! never mind going out in a group.

So the social side of things are definately (BEHIND) in the UK, with regards how peers relate to each other, show respect etc, which is very worrying as they are the future generation.

At the weekends there was nothing really to do, the weather was crap, no nice beaches, oh there was the shops, but that was it.

It took me 7 months to find a job, and it wasn't for the lack of looking i spent every day on-line applying left/right/centre for anything and everything.

By Christmas, we had come to the conclusion that it was a big big mistake going back to the UK and started to put plans down to move back to NZ.

Only negative - I would have to go with the kids first, to get them back in to the schools etc, and when hubby's contract finishes in July he would come out.

So here I am, been back in NZ, 8 weeks now, kids are all at school, and I have found myself a full-time job.

soooo the answer to your question would be noooo
Thats a refreshing thread and thanks, I only wish my eldest daughter would settle here then we would all be happy as larry.

anyway thanks for that, cheered me up on a cold day

Last edited by love30stm; May 21st 2009 at 2:35 am.
Old May 21st 2009, 2:34 am
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

Gosh TM09, good luck with everything - you certainly deserve it.
Old May 21st 2009, 2:43 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zetland
..Okay, here is a random question for all you in NZ.
You are offered the chance to go back to the UK - all shipping, flights and set-up costs covered. How many of you would go?
Maybe if offered around the end of next kiwi summer...

Actually I would happily move back to Edinburgh, was there in April for a few weeks and it is home, not like I moved out to escape any hardship so proviidng I could get suitable work I will probably go back at somepoint, as much as I love Welly we are quite an isolated lil island nation down here...

Last edited by irnbru14; May 21st 2009 at 2:50 am.
Old May 21st 2009, 5:45 am
BE Forum Addict

lapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond reputelapsed kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Add me to the "no"s
Old May 21st 2009, 7:00 am

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lapsed kiwi
Add me to the "no"s
And me - make mine a No Way!
Old May 21st 2009, 7:41 am
Give us a kiss

Biddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond reputeBiddy has a reputation beyond repute

No, No and thrice No.
Old May 21st 2009, 7:44 am
BE Enthusiast

nukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond reputenukiwi has a reputation beyond repute

NO WAY!!!!
Old May 21st 2009, 7:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Browner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond reputeBrowner_ has a reputation beyond repute

Id certainly go back to my life as it was before I emigrated.

But I come from the "decent south" and it was a nice place to live. Someone persuaded me that NZ would be better, which it aint.

However, it is difficult to predict what I would find back in UK, the Government is crap, crime and muslims are taking over (only slightly tongue in cheek there) ,but I have to say at the moment I love home and would rather be there.
Old May 21st 2009, 9:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biddy
No, No and thrice No.
Isn't that 'nay' x thrice..in a very nasal voice?