Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

If you had the chance...

If you had the chance...

Old May 20th 2009, 1:59 pm
Account Closed

zetland is an unknown quantity at this point
Default If you had the chance...

..Okay, here is a random question for all you in NZ.
You are offered the chance to go back to the UK - all shipping, flights and set-up costs covered. How many of you would go?
Old May 20th 2009, 7:52 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: If you a the chance...

Originally Posted by zetland
You are offered the chance to go back to the UK - all shipping, flights and set-up costs covered. How many of you would go?
maybe if I was given a million pounds also then maybe I would does that answer your question?
Old May 20th 2009, 7:53 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Go back to what????????

I can't imagine going back to all that negative atmosphere.

Rather be broke but happy here
Old May 20th 2009, 7:54 pm
A land far far away

pixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond reputepixi-dust has a reputation beyond repute

Not in a million years and I really liked it there
Our lives are just lovely here and we're very happy.
Old May 20th 2009, 8:00 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by P2L
Go back to what????????

Negative atmosphere? I will let you know about what you mean when I go back for a holiday soon

I woulnt be happy if I was broke anywhere btw
Old May 20th 2009, 8:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

janek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to beholdjanek is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by P2L
Go back to what????????

Spot On!
Old May 20th 2009, 8:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

NO WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Just heard that 25% of the UK is classified as 'drinking out of control'. I like it here thanks..even with all the shitty drivers et al. NZ is home. Now if you said that the UK has been depopulated by 60 million I would consider returning..its all about space for me..amongst other things. And in NZ we have quite a lot of space. Which is nice.
Old May 20th 2009, 8:10 pm
Forum Regular

zummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud ofzummerzet_lou has much to be proud of

Hmmm, can I just take the flights for return to see my folks and friends, but I'll be coming back.

Really can't see us moving back - given all the bad things that are in NZ, there are even more in the UK ..
Old May 20th 2009, 8:13 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

No. It'd be like putting the shackles back on. Despite our lack of money here and the constant juggling act I'd much prefer to be here and I can't actually give you a word to describe why that is. There's just a certain 'x' factor about being in NZ and it is very much our home.
Old May 20th 2009, 9:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute

not a chance ..even with a couple of million thrown in, we very happy here tyvm
Old May 20th 2009, 9:27 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

No thanks. UK is ok to visit but I wouldn't want to live there anymore.
Old May 20th 2009, 10:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

If it helps we are still living here and i can assure you that you are missing **** all, stick the money and stay put
Old May 20th 2009, 10:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute

We are to old to emigrate but as things are in the UK at the moment I would like to. Instead I will become an MP and grin & bear it all expenses paid.
Old May 21st 2009, 1:04 am
BE Enthusiast

shirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond reputeshirl has a reputation beyond repute

If by set up costs you mean a house to live in as well as flights shipping and a bloody good well paid job then maybe I would consider it. On the other hand my OH would never be coming with me though !!

I do miss home terribly some days - I know we would never have what we have here or the opportunities that we have here but there is something that pulls me - not sure what it is - perhaps when I can afford to go back for a visit that same pull will lull me back to NZ and make this really feel like home and that we did the right thing by moving here!
Old May 21st 2009, 2:26 am
Just Joined

TM09 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: If you had the chance...

Hi there,

Well last year we were given that chance and decided to go back. We had only been in NZ for about 18 months when this opportunity came up.

It was by no means an easy decision, endless sleepless nights and what ifs.

We both had good jobs here, the kids were settled at school, but all in all we thought, well we can always come back if we don't like it.

Within weeks of going back we were really beginning to regret it. I couldn't believe how so much had changed in such a small space of time. We went back to a small village in Scotland.

Drunk teenagers on buses, hoodies and neds standing around the shops (very intimidating), total lack of respect - my daughter used to get a school bus on many occasion she came home late, due to the kids on the bus throwing things at the driver. The driver going to the police station and refusing to take the kids home. There was a school uniform,.... but it was not enforced... they basically wore what they liked, to be honest her education was suffering terribly. She would come home and say she hated the school, she doesn't learn anything the teachers can't get the class to be quite etc etc...

One other thing that is really interesting from a teenagers perspective, they go around in mixed groups here, where the boys actually take the time to talk to the girls, hang out together, go bowling, cinema etc etc. Where in the UK that would never happen, I don't think she had even one decent conversation with any boys in her class at all!! never mind going out in a group.

So the social side of things are definately (BEHIND) in the UK, with regards how peers relate to each other, show respect etc, which is very worrying as they are the future generation.

At the weekends there was nothing really to do, the weather was crap, no nice beaches, oh there was the shops, but that was it.

It took me 7 months to find a job, and it wasn't for the lack of looking i spent every day on-line applying left/right/centre for anything and everything.

By Christmas, we had come to the conclusion that it was a big big mistake going back to the UK and started to put plans down to move back to NZ.

Only negative - I would have to go with the kids first, to get them back in to the schools etc, and when hubby's contract finishes in July he would come out.

So here I am, been back in NZ, 8 weeks now, kids are all at school, and I have found myself a full-time job.

soooo the answer to your question would be noooo

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.