Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

If not New Zealand then where?

If not New Zealand then where?

Old Nov 9th 2006, 3:03 pm

username 34 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: If not New Zealand then where?

Originally Posted by Jack Daws
What about import taxes ect.?

Like I said I have no skills, not a beautician (but I do look good ) or a hair stylist or anything like that.
dont need skills - its not like qualifying for a visa in Oz or NZ. you can start up a business out here, thats what gets you in,

click on this:
http://www.svgnipi.com/

it costs £1200 EC$ to set up your bsuiness here on any of the islands and where you go depends on what you do. Bequia is very busy and has lots of little businesses for example. You wouldnt want to live on the mainland of St Vincent though!
Old Nov 9th 2006, 3:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by islandmom
dont need skills - its not like qualifying for a visa in Oz or NZ. you can start up a business out here, thats what gets you in,

click on this:
http://www.svgnipi.com/

it costs £1200 EC$ to set up your bsuiness here on any of the islands and where you go depends on what you do. Bequia is very busy and has lots of little businesses for example. You wouldnt want to live on the mainland of St Vincent though!
That's it! To hell with NZ, I want the island life!!!

i'm up for startin a business!!!

Old Nov 9th 2006, 3:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud of

Hey IslandMom,

How's the Diving there?
Old Nov 9th 2006, 3:09 pm

Originally Posted by Paladin
Hey IslandMom,

How's the Diving there?

VERY good - infact I actually supply the dive shop here with t-shirts I designed.

all the islands have dive shops though if thats your angle but if you're looking for dive options you need to check out St Lucia with developments like

www.leparadisstlucia.com

which is under construction and I'll take a huge bet they'll want a dive shop for their customers
Old Nov 9th 2006, 3:12 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

me - I live on an island called Canouan - if you can find it on a map you'll do better than most
My atlas rules. Wow, what took you there? (quick thread hijacking here ) It's absolutely minute!
Old Nov 9th 2006, 3:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

VERY good - infact I actually supply the dive shop here with t-shirts I designed.

all the islands have dive shops though if thats your angle but if you're looking for dive options you need to check out St Lucia with developments like

www.leparadisstlucia.com

which is under construction and I'll take a huge bet they'll want a dive shop for their customers
So this startin a business thing to get in - is there a minimum amount of capital they want to see you investing?
Old Nov 9th 2006, 3:15 pm

So this startin a business thing to get in - is there a minimum amount of capital they want to see you investing?
dont know the details exactly but all info is avaliable from each countries government offices. All I know is that basically - if you start a business over here like a Dive shop or t-shirt shop or anything like that, you're in!
Old Nov 9th 2006, 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by Maz
My atlas rules. Wow, what took you there? (quick thread hijacking here ) It's absolutely minute!

well we dont qualify for any kind of visa status with our professions, and we wanted an expat life with the benefits (like tax free salary, house etc..) so through the resort industry we're here! hubbies job is unusual but many island resorts have it so we have a nice choice of places.
Old Nov 9th 2006, 3:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

dont know the details exactly but all info is avaliable from each countries government offices. All I know is that basically - if you start a business over here like a Dive shop or t-shirt shop or anything like that, you're in!
Geez beats the hell outa all the hoops ya gotta jump thru for NZ or OZ!!!!

Hmmm, I smell a backup plan a brewing!!!

Plus its alot closer to the UK to visit friends & family!!!

Have you got direct flights to the UK from somewhere close by there?

Dave
Old Nov 9th 2006, 3:18 pm

its like engineers I see applying for Oz visas - the resort industry cries out for chief engineers and people like HR Managers - and on islands like this the jobs come tax free with all the perks.

Means you get overseas, live a great life and dont have to worry about standard of living etc..
Old Nov 9th 2006, 3:19 pm

Geez beats the hell outa all the hoops ya gotta jump thru for NZ or OZ!!!!

Have you got direct flights to the UK from somewhere close by there?

Dave

oh yeh - very easy! St Lucia, Barbados, Grenada are all less than an hour from here and have direct flight to the UK in 8 hours.
Old Nov 9th 2006, 3:22 pm
Forum Regular

Kerry & Dirk is just really niceKerry & Dirk is just really niceKerry & Dirk is just really niceKerry & Dirk is just really niceKerry & Dirk is just really niceKerry & Dirk is just really niceKerry & Dirk is just really niceKerry & Dirk is just really niceKerry & Dirk is just really nice

For me it's got to be Bermuda.

Got a mate there and loved the place when I visited. Great weather, great beaches, great cocktails. Shame about the cost of living

Cheers
Dirk
Old Nov 9th 2006, 3:22 pm

sorry Jack - thread totally hijacked but maybe my subtle plan of gettin more people out here might be working....

I'm off to feed my kids - they're pityfully looking at me!
Old Nov 9th 2006, 3:32 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Im on it
Old Nov 9th 2006, 3:36 pm

one thing to think of - research things about resorts opening in the Caribbean with all the big chains

Ritz Carlton
hyatt
Hilton
Banyan Tree
Fairmont
Four Seasons etc...
Starwood resorts

go to thier websites and check out their new destinations, and many want retail shops at their resorts and may well want someone on a sub-contracted basis to run it for them - just a thought

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.