Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

I WANT TO BUY SOME FOOD!!!!!!!!

I WANT TO BUY SOME FOOD!!!!!!!!

Old Mar 23rd 2008, 6:23 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I WANT TO BUY SOME FOOD!!!!!!!!

Maranui cafe at Lyall bay has been open all day and it was also open on Good Friday......it can't have been the only one in Wellington. It was however weird to scooter (literally) round the nearby retail site and find everything else completely closed including The Warehouse.
You must be younger than me.....don't you remember in the UK when absolutely NOTHING was open EVERY SUNDAY .....it was so boring....it's just gone too far now in the UK with shops open on Xmas Day etc etc ....yes the staff deserve a break too.....this topic is under debate in NZ and apparently 60 odd percent of people are happy for the limited restrictions to remain.....it is much less restrictive than UK was....just Xmas Day, Good Friday, Easter Sunday and the morning of Anzac Day are involved.
It's more UK 1970s than 1920s and you can't have it all ways....I've run out of milk and am currently wondering whether to do without my many cuppas or try to find a dairy or garage still open.......for family life I think this state of affairs is actually better than what now prevails in UK.
Don't worry the supermarkets are back open tomorrow Easter Monday....in UK in 1970s they would have still been closed.

Some businesses in NZ open and risk fines (just like Sunday Trading in UK) and some areas are allowed to open because they are designated as tourist areas eg Taupo can open but Rotorua can't.
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 6:27 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by luvwelly
Maranui cafe at Lyall bay has been open all day and it was also open on Good Friday......it can't have been the only one in Wellington. It was however weird to scooter (literally) round the nearby retail site and find everything else completely closed including The Warehouse.
You must be younger than me.....don't you remember in the UK when absolutely NOTHING was open EVERY SUNDAY .....it was so boring....it's just gone too far now in the UK with shops open on Xmas Day etc etc ....yes the staff deserve a break too.....this topic is under debate in NZ and apparently 60 odd percent of people are happy for the limited restrictions to remain.....it is much less restrictive than UK was....just Xmas Day, Good Friday, Easter Sunday and the morning of Anzac Day are involved.
It's more UK 1970s than 1920s and you can't have it all ways....I've run out of milk and am currently wondering whether to do without my many cuppas or try to find a dairy or garage still open.......for family life I think this state of affairs is actually better than what now prevails in UK.
Don't worry the supermarkets are back open tomorrow Easter Monday....in UK in 1970s they would have still been closed.

Some businesses in NZ open and risk fines (just like Sunday Trading in UK) and some areas are allowed to open because they are designated as tourist areas eg Taupo can open but Rotorua can't.
Am just p'd off as I had to assemble some random dinner out of whatever hadn't died in my house in the last week when I've been away, seriously did not expect or even assume that I would have problems getting some fresh food today, the local dairy was open but looked like it had been ransacked by all those going to the big rock gig today, not to mention the boarded up alcohol chillers...
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 6:32 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by irnbru14
Am just p'd off as I had to assemble some random dinner out of whatever hadn't died in my house in the last week when I've been away, seriously did not expect or even assume that I would have problems getting some fresh food today, the local dairy was open but looked like it had been ransacked by all those going to the big rock gig today, not to mention the boarded up alcohol chillers...
I do sympathise.....might have to resort to wine in place of my cups of tea!
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 9:16 am
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Hey I-B, if you wanted dinner, all you had to do is ask... We would have had you over. Can't let one of our two fave Scots starve.

Now, where's the next bottle of wine?
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 9:24 am

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

lau lau was the kau kau at the ol' luau...(da kine Hawaiian grindz here at hale happynz )
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 9:54 am
Just Joined

Rattray Clan is a jewel in the roughRattray Clan is a jewel in the roughRattray Clan is a jewel in the roughRattray Clan is a jewel in the rough

well if it's any help to you im off to TESCO'S EXTRA this easter sunday to do a very big shopping
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 10:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbo25 has a reputation beyond repute

Well in England all the supermarkets are shut completely and always do. The shops yesterday were like everyone was diving for the bunkers for the next month.
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 11:18 am
conquering the world!

karonious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond reputekaronious has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Maz
Can't let one of our two fave Scots starve.
Assuming the other one is me.....
Cheers mate
I have some Scotch pies here...... funny enough, given to me by the illustrious, wonderful 'awesome' aforementioned Irn-bru.....
and they taste fantastic
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 8:43 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by karonious
Assuming the other one is me.....
Cheers mate
Need you ask? Of course it's you, silly lass.
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 9:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

dlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of lightdlmckay is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by irnbru14
...and am sure a number of shop workers would be happy to work today as they would probably get paid double time for it...

...OR why they charge 15% tariff for restaurants and the like on public holidays, what a rip off...
Do you not see the irony in both your quotes? You're happy to go to a store where workers are paid double time, but when that double time comes out of your pocket (the cafe's 15%) you get peeved?

Sheez, it's one day. Gull service stations have a Woolworths Quickstop attached to most of them - go there... hot chicken, bread and milk... easy
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 10:01 pm
Just Joined

catt is a jewel in the roughcatt is a jewel in the roughcatt is a jewel in the roughcatt is a jewel in the roughcatt is a jewel in the rough

there is a magic word "planning". i never leave for a period of time without ensuring there is something to come back to in the freezer.......also pick up bread and milk and basics the day before i am due back or ask my neighbour to get them for us (before anyone picks up on that one we do the same for the neighbours) is whats known as community spirit.........just my two penneth worth........
Old Mar 24th 2008, 2:00 am
Here in Dunedin

southerner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond reputesoutherner has a reputation beyond repute

Seems like a planning issue - every country has different trading laws, some of them quite arcane. Imagine people's horror going to the UK (even me now for a holiday) and the supermarkets close at 4pm on Sunday, yet some Tescos are open on Xmas day. You get used to it very quickly, and make arrangements as appropriate.

The 15% is to cover the additional costs of opening on a holiday where the retailers main costs (staff) more than double. By the number of restaurants and cafes that do not open, its clear the 15% probably does not cover their additional costs - or the owner/operators want to have a holiday too. Fair enough.

McDonalds, KFC and Subway are international companies/franchises where the management can decide they will all be open, and they roster their staff on accordingly and pay the holiday rates. I'm not sure the supposed rationale for rules closing supermarkets, yet convenience stores/petrol stations/restaurants having the choice of staying open. I'm guessing it maybe to allow travel, an important feature of the holiday period.

Last edited by southerner; Mar 24th 2008 at 2:03 am.
Old Mar 24th 2008, 3:28 am

Nerine is an unknown quantity at this point

LMAO over this - how are some of you going to manage in the aftermath of a major civil emergency in NZ (which is quite likely in Wellington) if you can't even get through a planned benign event such as Easter sunday?

(Time to stock up those emergency supplies perhaps? )
Old Mar 24th 2008, 5:10 am
BE Forum Addict

irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nerine
LMAO over this - how are some of you going to manage in the aftermath of a major civil emergency in NZ (which is quite likely in Wellington) if you can't even get through a planned benign event such as Easter sunday?

(Time to stock up those emergency supplies perhaps? )
What major civil emergency, Molly Malones running out of Guiness perhaps, or Helen Clark wearing something fashionable maybe, or Karonious losing the recipe to her cheese scones??

Civil Emergency, rofl....
Old Mar 24th 2008, 5:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by southerner
Imagine people's horror going to the UK (even me now for a holiday) and the supermarkets close at 4pm on Sunday, yet some Tescos are open on Xmas day.
I'd forgotten about that...now NZ is beginning to look progressive!

Wellington civil emergency would presumably be earthquake????

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.