Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

I WANT TO BUY SOME FOOD!!!!!!!!

I WANT TO BUY SOME FOOD!!!!!!!!

Old Mar 23rd 2008, 3:11 am
  #1  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
irnbru14's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Wellington
Posts: 1,208
irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute
Default I WANT TO BUY SOME FOOD!!!!!!!!

This 3rd world, 1920's country occasionally manages to completely P me off...

Its Easter, a religous holiday I suspect is actually noted by a minority of people in this country, yet for some reason the following laws seem to exist in this backwater:

1) I cannot buy alcohol offsales on Good Friday or Easter Sunday, why???
2) Some bloke in Franz Josef had a go at me for eating meat on good Friday, saying its not allowed as I tucked into my ham sandwich, well let me tell you I had the mixed grill in the pub that evening...
3) When you DO go out to buy drinks/food they charge you 15% extra, why, what on earth is that about, its robbery by the government, its a public holiday, of course people will go out and eat and drink!?!?!?
4) Supermarkets are closed on Easter Sunday, why, what do they think will happen if they open places yo ucan actually go buy food to avoid the 15% tax?? I'm just off a flight, been away since start of the week, I need to buy something for dinner but can't!!!
5) YET, while I can't go to the supermarket, I can go to a Dairy (who are all sold out of everything you might actually want!!) or Starbucks, KFC or MacDonalds, how, what is the loophole that these places can trade but nowhere else can???

I am very very very annoyed right now, stupid stupid stupid laws in this place... :curse:
irnbru14 is offline  
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 3:54 am
  #2  
---
 
bourbon-biscuit's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,990
bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I WANT TO BUY SOME FOOD!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by irnbru14 View Post
This 3rd world, 1920's country occasionally manages to completely P me off...

Its Easter, a religous holiday I suspect is actually noted by a minority of people in this country, yet for some reason the following laws seem to exist in this backwater:

1) I cannot buy alcohol offsales on Good Friday or Easter Sunday, why???
2) Some bloke in Franz Josef had a go at me for eating meat on good Friday, saying its not allowed as I tucked into my ham sandwich, well let me tell you I had the mixed grill in the pub that evening...
3) When you DO go out to buy drinks/food they charge you 15% extra, why, what on earth is that about, its robbery by the government, its a public holiday, of course people will go out and eat and drink!?!?!?
4) Supermarkets are closed on Easter Sunday, why, what do they think will happen if they open places yo ucan actually go buy food to avoid the 15% tax?? I'm just off a flight, been away since start of the week, I need to buy something for dinner but can't!!!
5) YET, while I can't go to the supermarket, I can go to a Dairy (who are all sold out of everything you might actually want!!) or Starbucks, KFC or MacDonalds, how, what is the loophole that these places can trade but nowhere else can???

I am very very very annoyed right now, stupid stupid stupid laws in this place... :curse:
:shrug:

And yet people (including me) come to live here to get away from the 24/7 consumer rat race culture. I remember visiting small towns in 2000 and finding shops had shut lunchtime on Saturday, not to reopen until Monday. I thought it rather refreshing.
bourbon-biscuit is offline  
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 4:07 am
  #3  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
irnbru14's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Wellington
Posts: 1,208
irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I WANT TO BUY SOME FOOD!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit View Post
:shrug:

And yet people (including me) come to live here to get away from the 24/7 consumer rat race culture. I remember visiting small towns in 2000 and finding shops had shut lunchtime on Saturday, not to reopen until Monday. I thought it rather refreshing.
Aye, bloody refreshing when you have an empty fridge and are considering going to Mac-bloody-Donalds for dinner... :curse:
irnbru14 is offline  
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 4:13 am
  #4  
Banned
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: noisy land, it's still noisy & crazy wrong
Posts: 254
pascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nice
Default Re: I WANT TO BUY SOME FOOD!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by irnbru14 View Post
Aye, bloody refreshing when you have an empty fridge and are considering going to Mac-bloody-Donalds for dinner... :curse:
Strewth mate, think of all those poor people around the world who would walk through fire for a meal at the golden arches tonight. You ought to be ashamed of yourself
pascalr is offline  
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 4:21 am
  #5  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
irnbru14's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Wellington
Posts: 1,208
irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I WANT TO BUY SOME FOOD!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by pascalr View Post
Strewth mate, think of all those poor people around the world who would walk through fire for a meal at the golden arches tonight. You ought to be ashamed of yourself
Well they can go to MacDonalds if they want to, or bleeding Subway, but I'd rather not, how come fast food places are allowed to open today but not a supermarket???
irnbru14 is offline  
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 4:27 am
  #6  
Banned
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: noisy land, it's still noisy & crazy wrong
Posts: 254
pascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nice
Default Re: I WANT TO BUY SOME FOOD!!!!!!!!

TINZ mate. Strange 'though, thought this was an agnostic country
pascalr is offline  
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 4:33 am
  #7  
---
 
bourbon-biscuit's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,990
bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I WANT TO BUY SOME FOOD!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by irnbru14 View Post
Aye, bloody refreshing when you have an empty fridge and are considering going to Mac-bloody-Donalds for dinner... :curse:
You live in Wellington; I seriously doubt that's your only choice ...


Quote from http://www.stuff.co.nz/4447465a11.html that I heartily agree with. I'm sorry if you've nothing for tea, but that seems rather bad planning on your part than bad legislation on NZ's part.

The current Easter Sunday trading restrictions ensure that retail workers have at least some ability to participate in the huge range of family, community and religious activities that take place around New Zealand over Easter," said CTU secretary Carol Beaumont.

"In 1990 most shops could not trade on any Sunday and they were unable to open on nine of the 11 recognised public holidays. Now they can trade on 51 out of 52 Sundays and every public holiday except Good Friday, Christmas Day and the morning of Anzac Day.

"There needs to be some community days when shop employees can join other workers for a holiday, and the three and a half days a year where shops cannot trade is a pretty small restriction on retailers."
Hear hear!
bourbon-biscuit is offline  
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 4:37 am
  #8  
---
 
bourbon-biscuit's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,990
bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I WANT TO BUY SOME FOOD!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by pascalr View Post
TINZ mate. Strange 'though, thought this was an agnostic country
I'm not remotely religous but Easter is a public holiday and we like to scoff chocolate and head to the beach along with every other family, same way that at Christmas we do a big family few days complete with tree and gifts, family and food. I was really sad to find Tesco express open in my town on Christmas day. Can't people manage without shopping for 1 day???
bourbon-biscuit is offline  
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 4:58 am
  #9  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
irnbru14's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Wellington
Posts: 1,208
irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I WANT TO BUY SOME FOOD!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit View Post
You live in Wellington; I seriously doubt that's your only choice ...


Quote from http://www.stuff.co.nz/4447465a11.html that I heartily agree with. I'm sorry if you've nothing for tea, but that seems rather bad planning on your part than bad legislation on NZ's part.



Hear hear!
Great, I've been touring down south for a week, pouring my cash into this countries coffers, and I cant even manage to buy a loaf of ******* bread on some antiquated mumbo jumbo religious holiday, yeah, well if they told you the shops would be shut when I got my visa I might have been able to ******* well plan for it...and am sure a number of shop workers would be happy to work today as they would probably get paid double time for it...

Still fails to answer the question, which goes AGAINST what that statement by some trade union flunky says, that how come MacDonalds et al are allowed to trade all day?

OR why they charge 15% tariff for restaurants and the like on public holidays, what a rip off...

Last edited by irnbru14; Mar 23rd 2008 at 5:01 am.
irnbru14 is offline  
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 5:05 am
  #10  
Banned
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: noisy land, it's still noisy & crazy wrong
Posts: 254
pascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nicepascalr is just really nice
Default Re: I WANT TO BUY SOME FOOD!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by irnbru14 View Post
Great, I've been touring down south for a week, pouring my cash into this countries coffers, and I cant even manage to buy a loaf of ******* bread on some antiquated mumbo jumbo religious holiday, yeah, well if they told you the shops would be shut when I got my visa I might have been able to ******* well plan for it...and am sure a number of shop workers would be happy to work today as they would probably get paid double time for it...

Still fails to answer the question, which goes AGAINST what that statement by some trade union flunky says, that how come MacDonalds et al are allowed to trade all day?
So people like you don't starve

and some subway stuff is really rather good.

Now where did i put my salmon salad and glass of wine......
pascalr is offline  
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 5:26 am
  #11  
BE Enthusiast
 
jueinnz's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2004
Location: auckland
Posts: 547
jueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: I WANT TO BUY SOME FOOD!!!!!!!!

[QUOTE=irnbru14;6098956]This 3rd world, 1920's country occasionally manages to completely P me off...
4) Supermarkets are closed on Easter Sunday, why, what do they think will happen if they open places yo ucan actually go buy food to avoid the 15% tax?? I'm just off a flight, been away since start of the week, I need to buy something for dinner but can't!!!


Get over it, some people in retail would like to have time off with their families too!!!!!!! Do you think people in retail have a choice whether they work stat days or not?
They don't !! If the shop is open it means some-one has to work! So please be respective of us and let us have time off like yourselves...those people who think they are above are above retail workers!!

Last edited by jueinnz; Mar 23rd 2008 at 5:27 am. Reason: didn't make sence
jueinnz is offline  
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 5:28 am
  #12  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
irnbru14's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Wellington
Posts: 1,208
irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I WANT TO BUY SOME FOOD!!!!!!!!

[QUOTE=jueinnz;6099133]
Originally Posted by irnbru14 View Post
This 3rd world, 1920's country occasionally manages to completely P me off...
4) Supermarkets are closed on Easter Sunday, why, what do they think will happen if they open places yo ucan actually go buy food to avoid the 15% tax?? I'm just off a flight, been away since start of the week, I need to buy something for dinner but can't!!!


Get over it, some people in retail would like to have time off with their families too!!!!!!! Do you think people in retail have a choice whether they work stat days or not?
They don't !! If the shop is open it means some-one has to work! So please be respective of us and let us have time off like yourselves...those people who think they are above are above retail workers!!
Yes they do, cos I used to be one of them.

Unless here is different to the UK, always used to get asked if you wanted to work the holidays (double time usually) and they were fairly fair on splitting them up between everyone...

Last edited by irnbru14; Mar 23rd 2008 at 5:36 am.
irnbru14 is offline  
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 6:04 am
  #13  
---
 
bourbon-biscuit's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Posts: 2,990
bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I WANT TO BUY SOME FOOD!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by irnbru14 View Post
Great, I've been touring down south for a week, pouring my cash into this countries coffers, and I cant even manage to buy a loaf of ******* bread on some antiquated mumbo jumbo religious holiday, yeah, well if they told you the shops would be shut when I got my visa I might have been able to ******* well plan for it...<snip>
Oh yeah, NZ owes you because you've spent some cash as a tourist . WTF?

Last edited by bourbon-biscuit; Mar 23rd 2008 at 6:08 am. Reason: sounded 'harsher' than I intended
bourbon-biscuit is offline  
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 6:08 am
  #14  
BE Forum Addict
Thread Starter
 
irnbru14's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2007
Location: Wellington
Posts: 1,208
irnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond reputeirnbru14 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I WANT TO BUY SOME FOOD!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit View Post
Oh yeah, NZ owes you because you've spent some cash as a tourist . WTF?

I've had some really down weeks and months in NZ, hard times adjusting and settling but I'm glad I never stooped to the level of blowing petty gripes into major failings of and crimes committed by NZ. If you're having a hard time, that's rough, but NZ is not a 'third world country', nowhere near. It isn't perfect though and, thankfully, it isn't the UK.
Well done, you are obviously a better person than me then, have a gold star or something...

Is it really that hard to understand why I may be a bit dazed and confused about this? Have spent a great week with my first batch of friends over from the UK, touring, showing them how lovely and great a place this is to be, and I get home and cant even manage a simple thing like getting some food from a supermarket because its Easter?!?!

Last edited by irnbru14; Mar 23rd 2008 at 6:18 am.
irnbru14 is offline  
Old Mar 23rd 2008, 6:18 am
  #15  
BE Forum Addict
 
mickey_d's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: Hawkes Bay
Posts: 1,302
mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I WANT TO BUY SOME FOOD!!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by irnbru14 View Post
Well done, you are obviously a better person than me then, have a gold star or something...

Is it really that hard to understand why I may be a bit dazed and confused about this? Have spent a great week with my first batch of friends over from the UK, touring, showing them how lovely and great a place this is to be, and I get home and cant even manage a simple thing like getting some food from a supermarket because its Easter?!?!
It's been the same in the UK for years so they should be used to it.
mickey_d is offline  

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.