I need a job!

Old Oct 12th 2010, 5:17 am
Forum Regular

zoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud of
Default I need a job!

I think I've got the hang of most things over here; the right turn rule, the rounding up of shopping, the shock after every supermarket trip when you realise you have spent so much more than you thought. I've even come to terms with the lack of friends... (I feel like a loser when I type that )

One thing I can't get used to though, is that I'm so bored without a job!
I'm a primary school teacher, 2 years experience and did really well at my last school. Trouble is the jobs over here have a generic statement looking for a enthusiastic teacher and to send in a letter of application.
The one that I used for the UK seems too bit formal, but I'm not sure what to do!!

Any help would be gratefully received! If anyone has a job, I'd be over the moon!!!
Old Oct 12th 2010, 6:26 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I need a job!

Originally Posted by zoexr
I think I've got the hang of most things over here; the right turn rule, the rounding up of shopping, the shock after every supermarket trip when you realise you have spent so much more than you thought. I've even come to terms with the lack of friends... (I feel like a loser when I type that )

One thing I can't get used to though, is that I'm so bored without a job!
I'm a primary school teacher, 2 years experience and did really well at my last school. Trouble is the jobs over here have a generic statement looking for a enthusiastic teacher and to send in a letter of application.
The one that I used for the UK seems too bit formal, but I'm not sure what to do!!

Any help would be gratefully received! If anyone has a job, I'd be over the moon!!!
How about contacting one of the recruitment agencies associated to TeachNZ

http://www.teachnz.govt.nz/overseas-...tment-agencies

And asking them for help to adapt your CV? Surely they'd be happy to help...
Old Oct 12th 2010, 7:13 am
BE Enthusiast

LukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond reputeLukeandJo has a reputation beyond repute

Tailor your letter and personal statement to reflect how enthusiastic you are about the subject you teach.

Contact local school, presenting yourself to them.

Any hey, make some friends! Check out the meet-up section to see if there is anything in your area. Going for a coffee may make all the difference and you never know what contacts people might have.
Old Oct 12th 2010, 7:52 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

Go to the local schools and meet the head. If they know you, there's more hope.
The big thing here is selling yourself face to face, letters don't cut it, regardless of your past.
Trust me, I know what i'm talking about!
Old Oct 13th 2010, 6:20 am
Forum Regular

rason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud ofrason has much to be proud of

I would second that. NZ seems to be all about getting your face out there
Old Oct 13th 2010, 6:57 am
Forum Regular

zoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud of

Thanks for the advice guys!
I do try to tailor my letters, sometimes its hard to do that but not make it seem like you are just brown-nosing!

I've wandered around schools to introduce myself and went to look around one with a vacancy at the start of the week. I rabbitted on about how good I was for 30 minutes and i felt really happy when I got out, ran home and wrote loads of notes about what they need. When I got to the letter writing bit, I just hit a complete wall and then hit the wine!!

Today I went into a local school to start volunteering, which went fantastically and gave me some of my confidence back. I'm going to have another crack at the application tomorrow, with a more confident outlook! (I'll let you know if it stays all day!)