Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Dog Friendly rentals?....Yea RIGHT!

Dog Friendly rentals?....Yea RIGHT!

Old Oct 3rd 2010, 5:04 am
Forum Regular

Shazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really nice
Default Dog Friendly rentals?....Yea RIGHT!

Hi all another question for you orrible lot

Heading out end of December to Wellington, planning on staying in a hotel for 1 week then hunting for perminant place to stay (gonna camp til we find somewhere). Looking for a house on a budget of $400 per week MAX, looking at lower hutt area, liking the look of Petone. All very simple....?
PROBLEM is the dog, ALL rentals say no dogs!? Anyone know of ANY private landlords that are willing to rent to a very sensible couple and one very well behaved doggy....

Hope ya'll can help!

Shazmoo
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 5:32 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Dog Friendly rentals?....Yea RIGHT!

Originally Posted by Shazmoo

Heading out end of December to Wellington, planning on staying in a hotel for 1 week then hunting for perminant place to stay (gonna camp til we find somewhere). Looking for a house on a budget of $400 per week MAX, looking at lower hutt area, liking the look of Petone. All very simple....?
PROBLEM is the dog, ALL rentals say no dogs!? Anyone know of ANY private landlords that are willing to rent to a very sensible couple and one very well behaved doggy....

Hope ya'll can help!

Shazmoo
Try contacting the agent, although they say no dogs, some will allow it although they may ask you for double the bond...
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 5:36 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

My sister in law had the same problem.
She was completely knocked back by the agent when looking, but met the owners and explained her situation.
They were cool as with no added bond.
Accept that most rentals are advertised as no pets, but you can get round it.
Old Oct 3rd 2010, 5:47 am
Forum Regular

Shazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really niceShazmoo is just really nice

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve
My sister in law had the same problem.
She was completely knocked back by the agent when looking, but met the owners and explained her situation.
They were cool as with no added bond.
Accept that most rentals are advertised as no pets, but you can get round it.
Ok so i'll try contacting the agent and also contact ppl direct and explaining that he is a very good boy and does't do wees or poops.
Fingers crossed otherwise i'll be a hobo on the beach for the rest of my days...or at least until we get kicked off there too!
Old Oct 4th 2010, 1:33 am
Forum Regular

zoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud ofzoexr has much to be proud of

We had the same problem, but there was no way I would have camped...

We found one through Trademe, lots of them said no dogs, but contact them anyway and most people are understanding.
We didn't have to pay any extra bond or anything and the landlord came to add gates and fences so Molly wouldn't escape.
Old Oct 4th 2010, 7:36 am
BE Enthusiast

londonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of light

Hope ya'll can help!

Shazmoo
You shouldn't have a problem just when you register with the agents explain that you have a dog. Most private landlords will be understanding. Do bear in mind though that some (mainly agents) will expect the dog to live outside. There are loads of dogs here but it isn't quite as dog friendly as the UK. There was a thread about dogs in houses just before we came out - July/August time.

Our pooch is not of that type who could survive 5 mins let alone a few hours in the outdoors so we made sure the landlord understood she would be in. You need to manage that particular expectation. But we haven't had any issues at all with our landlord he really likes the dog. Good luck
Old Oct 4th 2010, 8:15 pm
Forum Regular

Kentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to all

Dog Friendly country?......Yea RIGHT!

Seriously lacking anywhere to walk dogs here. So much open space but you can't walk over it.
Old Oct 5th 2010, 7:19 am
Account Closed

harrogate girl is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: Dog Friendly rentals?....Yea RIGHT!

Hope ya'll can help!

Shazmoo
I have never NOT found a good Quality Rental that allows dogs Inside or even out.
All you need to do is talk to the vendor, agent, and say the cost of bringing your pet over cost more then you so you would not be bringing a pet that does any damage, But a pet that is part of the family you could offer to pay extra on the bond, and you will have the carpets cleaned to a good standard when you leave( many ask for this any way) hope you get sorted.
Old Oct 5th 2010, 7:28 am
Account Closed

harrogate girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Kentish Lass
Dog Friendly country?......Yea RIGHT!

Seriously lacking anywhere to walk dogs here. So much open space but you can't walk over it.
Only just looked at your post and Well Said!!!

I have walked mine in Burwood Forest people take dogs in but lots are not under control people on bikes, people running, people on Horses back, all letting dogs run round all over the show with little control.

Now I take her to the beach and found a good long walking track out at Woodend and just love it but it is still not the same as the North Yorkshire Moors.
Old Oct 5th 2010, 8:40 pm
Forum Regular

Kentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to allKentish Lass is a name known to all

Nothing like that here. No beach ,no forest.
Old Oct 5th 2010, 8:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

londonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of lightlondonescapee is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by harrogate girl

Now I take her to the beach and found a good long walking track out at Woodend and just love it but it is still not the same as the North Yorkshire Moors.
Ours goes to the beach and we have a dog park just up the road. Our dog groomer is challenging Auckland Council to make it more accessible to dogs she has a pressure group and everything - I think plenty of NZ owners would agree that there just aren't enough places to take pooches. There are loads of dog owners though so I find it all a bit strange Funnily enough our local Starbucks lets dogs in though which is nice

I think the restrictions are in place to protect bird eggs and wildlife? To be fair I know that if ours sniffed out an egg she'd eat it before we'd have a chance to pull her off. She's great off the lead on the whole but we keep her on when we see people with picnics etc (nightmare once she stole a huge slab of pate when she was a pup off someone's romantic picnic layout on Hampstead Heath we were mortified ).
Old Oct 5th 2010, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

You're right. We have enclosed bush walks and tracks up local mountains but dogs are not allowed because of protecting birds.....I don't think there is much else in the way of wildlife. Everthing else seems to be classed as a pest. they are always poisoning and trapping in these areas.
Different if you have a pig dog. you can keep them in tiny cages all week and then take them wherever you want to rip apart 'the wildlife'.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 1:13 pm
Newbie in New Zealand

Nelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to allNelly Trolley is a name known to all

Hope ya'll can help!

Shazmoo
Hi I have the same problem but am looking in the Tauranga area.
Like advice on Trade Me , additional bond and carpet cleaning prepared to do all of these.

Any help appreciated Thanks.
Old Oct 6th 2010, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

Hope ya'll can help!

Shazmoo
Hi we are in UK at the moment. But lived in Petone, then Lower Hutt. I really regret selling out house in Petone, we had just had a big extension and renovation and then sold at what we thought was a good price. I so don't think we could afford to buy that house back now. 4 doors from the beach and P)etone is 15 mins from wellington (not rush hour) and has some of the best resturants and bars in town. Good luck. If you want any other info about the area let me know, schools, dog walks, places to eat just let me know. Just be aware that Wellington on a calm sunny day is the most beautiful place ever. BUT if a southerly wind comes though you have horrizontal rain in your face.
Good luck Kaz
Old Oct 9th 2010, 9:07 am
BE Forum Addict

helinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond reputehelinuk has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nelly Trolley
Hi I have the same problem but am looking in the Tauranga area.
Like advice on Trade Me , additional bond and carpet cleaning prepared to do all of these.

Any help appreciated Thanks.
In 2007 we rented a bach in Mt Maunganui for 7 weeks that allowed us to have our dog there when we first arrived in NZ.
It was a 3 bedroom bach used by the owner who also had a dog. When she went away she rented it out.
We rented it through Eves rental office in the Mt.
Renting long term was another story- we couldn't find a rental that would accept us with the dog so we ended up buying a house within 8 weeks of arriving in NZ.
Helen

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.